• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

struggling eating meals

claudia24

hoping to be a mummy soon
when im at work il have yogurts for my break and fruit for my dinner, its does me just fine as im a packer so im moving all the time and bending a lot so i dont like to eat to much as i feel yucky, but when im at home for my evening meal i just cant bring myself to eat properly, ill have mash and chicken, or jacket potatoe and beans with a lil cheese on top, pasta and chicken. i find it hard to eat meals as i only eat chicken no other meats, used to have quorn options but i just can not stomach it at all, makes me sick. the only veg and salad i like it, lettuce, carrots, onions, peas, swede, cabbage but only in a bag of salad, for the past few nights ive just been havin chicken on its own. im such a fussy eater, is anyone else a fussy eater but managin meals??

thank u in advance xxxx

Hi Claudia, I'm lucky in that I like pretty much anything and can tolerate most things, it must be hard post op if your tastes are limited or your pouch says no!

My advice would be to experiment as much as possible with trying new flavours, it may be that things you disliked pre op you may now enjoy and there may be foods you haven't tried before which you love! If veggies are a problem try disguising them or prehaps making juices or soups from them.

Good luck hunny,
Cuppa xx

It is important to get in the protein to aid healing and weightloss. Are you able to use the protein shakes or bars? They maybe something you could have at work. Maybe take into work a little cold chicken?

I will say that your taste buds do change post op, so just because you didn't like it pre op doesn't mean you will not like it post op and vice versa. Give things a try and you may be pleasantly surprised. It is important to get protein into your body, have you tried nuts, they are an excellent way to do this as well as cheesenand milk powder (this can be added to soups, mash, milky coffee.

I have to agree with Terri, my taste buds changed so much and things i really didn't like pre op i seem to enjoy post op. Cheese is a great idea i put it in everything i could early post op to flavour meals. You could try a chicken casserole and blitz it up a bit to avoid the obvious look of carrots and turnip. I used to eat both beef and chx casserole with cheesy mash. Just take it a step at a time and introduce new flavours bit by bit it does take time. I took my time as emotionally i had a worry about the effect new foods would have on me. I have to say that was all it was as now just over 4 months post op i can eat most things without thinking about it. Good luck xx

thank u very much i bought some veggie today so gonna make a soup for tomo, im doing fine with chicken just get a lil boring, i do fine with my milk as i have very very milky teas/coffees. thank u everyone xx

For work why not try some cold salads like chicken salad, egg salad, tuna salad, prawn salad? You can use low fat/no fat yogurt instead of mayo and add as much spice as you like (curry chicken salad is lovely with some diced nuts) and some raw vegg or crisp breads. I had a lunch the other day that I brought with me, it was spicy chicken salad, 2 crisp breads and a small bowl of fruit salad. It was lovely and easy.

Nic;)

when at work a lady goes to the cateen and get every1s brekkie, i have had off her hard boiled egg and brown toast (1 slice) didnt fancy the white bit of the egg so i just spreaded the yolk bit on the toast, it went down well.

the spicy chicken sounds really really nice, do i just marinade the chicken them fry it? or could i spice up a chicken fillet and oven cook it, am defo gonna try that, thanks phat girl xx

I roast chicken peices with peppers and onions and use a fajita dry mix on them add some tin toms and you can eat this hot or cold with salad and the rest of family have it with rice and tortilas x i always have a tiny tin of ww tuna in my bag for work they have all sorts of differnt flavors and are not too over facing with being so small, you can get some nice flavored chicken peices which too can be cold or warmed , you really need to be putting the protein first and i know chicken can be boring , maybe wrapping it in parma ham and stuffing it with cheese would do you a couple of meals and stop it being boring x

Adding babybels as a snack is an easy way to boost your protein.

My tastes changed so much since my op, experiment a little.

try stuffing the chicken with a little cheese (or light philly) and some garlic and herbs, oven baking till done.. or with cheese and tomatoe, anything you like really!

turkey mince? if you like it, it can be used for all sorts! (makew sure ytou get the lean stuff) chilli, spag bol etc etc

scrambled egg for me is great, i add a little milk for more protein. Or if you like them omletts, with chicken bits in, or with cheese, or cheese and mushroom and chicken?!

Just experiment, you will get the hang of it :)

Everything changed for me post op, its not easy, but it gets easier, and now i love things i used to hate!

.x.

I can empathise with you completely. I am veggie, so I don't eat meat fish or eggs and i don't drink milk. So I find it really hard to find things to take for lunches or snack on when time is short. Sainsburys do a little tub with carrot sticks and houmous which I take for lunch sometimes, but most days I skip lunch which I know is bad. The babybell suggestion is good, I sometimes have a couple of dairylea triangles. I think the key is to plan, and that's where I fall down. Tins of soup are a godsend to me.
Good luck

Rx

Hiya

Some good advice from the gang - to be honest with you your only just 7 weeks post op, i wouldn't worry to much about your diet at the moment as it sounds pretty fine to me, at your stage i was only just starting to tollerate fish and chicken again, the thought of eating a meal scarred me and i used to pick rather than eat, it will take time for things to settle down again (and they will) and over time the amount you can eat and your tollerance to foods will increase, but dont worry your doing fine.
I'm a creature of habbit and used to stick to the same bunch of foods i knew worked for me, but slowly you get more confident and like me will add more into your diet, take it slowly and eat the amount you feel comfortable eating.

Back