• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Survived a living nightmare

Sharie65

Tomorrow I am 5 weeks post-op from 1st operation. Have been to hell and back. After a successful bypass on Tuesday 28th January at Southmead Hospital, my blood counts went haywire and my temperature spiked. Surgeon suggested a CT scan 2 days later to find out what was going on. couldn't book a Ct scan and told me there was no time to loose and he would prefer to Open me up again and do an exploratory operation. 5 hours later, just 48 hours after bypass, I woke in recovery to find I had had major open surgery on a twisted bowel. My bowel had to be laid out on operation table and carefully put back in. I had tubes coming out of every where, cannulas and drips on both arms, catheter, drain, on a morphine pump, high dose antibiotics due to infection being pumped I to me, nasal gastric tube and on oxygen. I went into a state of shock.
The next 5-6 days were a blur as I developed ileus where the bowel goes to sleep as it doesn't like being handled. Severe constipation lead to constant vomiting of bile and I was fighting infection. 4 enemas failed to do the job, very painful after open bowel surgery, and every day was a living hell. Finally my bowels started to slowly work yet the sickness and temperature continued. Finally a CT scan revealed that my old stomach was distended and full of bile and gasses that were unable to drain due to ileus and the only way out was up I was offered a drain into the old stomach to drain all this bile but I could not face another surgical procedure. I was told as my bowels were now working the old stomach would eventually drain and the sickness will stop.
Eventually, after 2 weeks in hospital I was allowed home. Sickness was controlled by various anti-emetics and I was still fighting post-op chest infection and developed severe oedema in legs. In addition, i developed a hole in my tummy from the wound which wasn't healing properly. Had to call in district nurses whose care I. Have been under their care for the past 2 weeks. Have to have hole packed with a fresh seaweed dressing and Manuka honey daily. Was 6cm deep and is now 3 cm deep. This has seriously curtailed getting back on my feet. Have to be careful about stretching, bending, lifting etc as don't want hole to enlarge and I haven't been able to do any exercise and limited walking. To say I'm traumatised is a bit of an understatement. surgeon told me risk of complications was 0.2%. Little did I know I would be 1 of those 2 in every 1000. Had insomnia when I first came home as kept having nightmares and was afraid to go to sleep as I kept remembering waking up and finding I had been cut from my breastbone to my belly button. Doctors prescribed sleeping pills and said I was suffering a form of PTSD. Using pills for first few days and relaxation apps I finally started to go to sleep by myself after about a week of being home. Was severely exhausted.
Just wanted to say that sometimes these surgeries are not plain sailing. Think I am just unlucky. Had a gastric band removed last April after scar tissue strangled the band and left me with a dilated and dis functional oesophagus. Suffered chronic reflux and vomiting for about a year before band was eventually removed which was a traumatic experience in itself.
I need your help really. How do I move on from something like this? I really want it to work because I've suffered too much. After loosing 2stone 10lbs since beginning of pre-op diet, I have now lost nothing for 11 days despite surviving on only 500 calories a day ( using my fitness pal) and am really feeling down. I'm frustrated as I'm not as mobile as I would like to be and incredibly bored. Am I doomed to be a failure?

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

I am so sorry to hear what a rough ride you've had. I don't think you are doomed to failure and reckon this time next year you will look back and see that the long term results have been beneficial.

BUT I would like to say - thank you very much for posting your experiences. We do need to go in to this understanding that it is not always plain sailing and there is a risk of complications. By posting here you are providing people with 'real case' scenarios for them to think about when deciding whether to have surgery or not.

I am pretty certain if I was pre-op and read this I would still go ahead but you would have helped me immensely but making sure I had thought it all through thoroughly

That sounds horrific - but I'm gal you are here to tell the tale.

Please don't worry about weight loss at the moment - focus on getting well.

For a while, your body will be storing lots of water, making new blood cells and doing its best to repair and fight infection. Rest, and let yourself heal. The weightloss will happen, give it a little time

Gentle hugs x

Hi Shar,
DITTO what previous posters have said to you. You are here & there's absolutely a reason for that.
I'm not suggesting you forget your weightloss journey but more important to get your health & strength back before you get stuck back in xxx

You have had a horrendous experience and your body is still in shock. Having open surgery alone will take a little longer to bounce back from than laparoscopic. I had open surgery and it took me a while to feel anywhere near recovered; I was tired, run down and felt lie, someone had pulled my batteries out.

But you, you poor thing have really been through it. Give your body time to start getting back to normal. It will happen.

As for weight loss, really really really do not worry. With all that has happened to your body, it will retain as much fluid as it can, and it will also go into starvation mode to protect you.

The best thing you can do right now is make sure you get your protein supplements in. At least 60 gms per day and don't forget your vitamins.

I do hope you feel better soon.

Xx

I for one am glad you have posted this
not all operations are plain sailing
I can only hope and pray that you will come out the other side
I wish you luck

Back