• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The lowdown on the surgery / Can I do it on my own?

Serapis Bey

Hello, I'm feeling a bit nosey & would like to ask the post-oppers (aka - the wise ones :) ) some questions about the time of the operation & recovery

eg

- How long did the operation take

- How long did you stay in hospital

- How long until you were able to go back to owrk

- How long until you were able to go to the gym.

Another think is, I'm single & live on my own. My mum is coming to the op with me. Do you think I will be ok going back to my house after the op or would I need someone to help me? In other words can I handle the first few post op days on my own.

Thanks in advance

Hi there, sorry I can't answer some of your questions as I'm a bander but some one will be along soon who can help. the one question I can answer though is "NO" please don't go home alone after your op. You will be uncomfortable and not be up to the demands of the little one(s). It is always best to have someone around for a couple of day's just in case of emergency's. Good luck with your op and hope you get your answers soon xxx

Hi, my op took apparently an hour (or less - Mr Khan is a whizz plus being open surgery not so fiddly i guess). I was in hospital for 24 hours (but i am the exception usually 48 hours) and i went back to work after about 7 weeks.

No way on this earth would i say to you go home alone after a surgery! You are going to feel uncomfortable but not only that what if you get a post op complication? If your mom can't stop with you then perhaps think of staying with her or getting a friend to stop for a while?

Don't be a hero!

Hiya

Had my op nearly 19 months ago now and can easily answer these:
- How long did the operation take - mine took 3 hours which is kinda standard for a Bypass

- How long did you stay in hospital - kicked me out in 48 hours. One night in ITU which is standard at the Whittington and one night on a general ward - was ready to leave!

- How long until you were able to go back to owrk - they told me 4 weeks but I was ready in 3 - some people are ready in 2 - its an individual thing but you can get bouts of diarrhea at the beginning and its best to let things settle and at least get on to a soft food diet before you get back to work.

They say 6 weeks post op before you do any heavy exercise but walking etc you can start as soon as you feel able.

I also live alone but decamped to my Mums for the first two weeks - to be honest with you, I definitely needed to have her around for the first 10 days but after that, I was feeling strong enough to be on my own and get back to normal.

Good luck - you will be fine.

cant remember a couple of hours i think

three and a half days

about 4 weeks but i probably could have gone back sooner
never went to a gym started light exercise after a couple of weeks and cycling after about 4 weeks

I live on my own and went straight back home but had people passing by most days for the first week to make sure i was ok.

Hi , op took around 2 hours, was in hospital 2days, dont work (disabled) and I would deffinately have some one at home for at least a few days. Most people are fine, but you never know how you are going to be and it is major surgery after all :D XX

Two and a half hours I think

6 days (standard for my surgeon, including 2 nights pre-op)

- How long until you were able to go back to work
I had 5 weeks off, then did a phased return for another 3

I was told I could start swimming after 6 weeks, and the gym after 8.

Please do not underestimate your recovery time... it's a major op and you must give your body the chance to heal.

I believe mine took about 3.5 hours

I went into hospital on the Wednesday Morning at 7am and had my op just after 8 am. I was discharged at 5.30pm on the friday so slept in for 2 nights.

I', 3 weeks post op today, and will go back to work next week all being well - so 3.5 weeks

Have not been to the gym but I have been out riding on my bike, just short distances and have experienced no discomfort from it. Have also been out walking quiet a bit.

In the first week I went out for a walk and felt dreadful for it, came over all dizzy and weak, was too soon.

Do you think I will be ok going back to my house after the op or would I need someone to help me?

I also stayed with my parents for nearly 2 weeks after my op and could not have managed without their support because I was just so tired and at times weak, they also made sure I had fluids to hand. Also, having someone around just incase there were any probs was really important for me.

Hi, I'm not sure how long my op took but in was keyhole. I was in hospital for one night and was only off work for 10 days. Yip thats right 10 days and mines was a physical job. I was actually quite surprised when I read that some peeps were off alot longer.

Hope that helps.

OMG, Thank you all so much. I thought I would just be able to go home with a couple of pain killers after the op.

This is good stuff guys, thanks for your input.

My bypass took about 3 hours (laparoscopic), I was home within 48 hours, advised to stay off work for 6 - 8 weeks but went back in under two, and definitely recruit a sympathetic friend/family member to stay with you for at least a couple of days post-op. Some people seem to breeze through the bypass, others it can hit a bit harder and can take a little longer to get back on their feet. I am typically very stoic when it comes to anything like that, but I was quite surprised that I truly felt very pathetic for the first couple of days after the op, although I recovered quite quickly. The only way you'll know how you will feel, is once it's done...not much help really. My advice would be to plan for pathetic & totally wiped out, but if you recover quite quickly, it'll be a Brucey bonus!!!!!

- How long did the operation take - my bypass took 3 hours

- How long did you stay in hospital - op on Tuesday, home first thing Thursday.

- How long until you were able to go back to work - went back 2 weeks later. I'm a teacher. I've been fine.

- How long until you were able to go to the gym. - started exercising after 6 weeks.

My husband took the Thursday off work, but on Friday I was on my own and went to the supermarket. I was absolutely problem-free, just tired by the evenings.
Everyone's different, but I know that I could have managed on my own.

2.5 hrs inc recovery

4 days but it was a day extra because swallow test showed slight problem.

I am having 8 weeks off. Because I can ;)

I swim a mile a day now, started at 5.5 weeks postop

I just found this again, I will have the operation on Tuesday & wanted to know more about the length of op & recovery time.

Bumping for my fellow pre-oppers

my op took about 3 hours, and i was in for 2 nights, im disabled so dont work, and cant go to a gym. but i did go home on my own, i live alone, but my daughters check up on me all the time, so it was just the same, but they did more for me, i just stayed in bed for the first few days, but i live in a bungalow, so it was ok, i didnt feel isolated. good luck with your op when you have it.

Thinking of you love and good luck for Tuesday... apart from excessive tiredness... I've felt fine... and would have it done again tomorrow... I've started having to rest a little more... and it's helping... but I've other conditions to contend with, with your every step and sending loads of love to you xxx

My op took 3 hours

I was in hospital for 3 nights

I was back at work after 4 weeks off (I sit at a desk all day)

I would definitely have someone at home with you not just for the physical support but emotional support too. I was constantly in tears when I came home and a few other people have said they were emotional post surgery too.

The first two months are the worst as you get used to your new life but you do adapt eventually.

Best of luck to all pre-oppers x

op took 4 hours but I had adhesions which increased the time.I had open surgery
was in hospital 7 days
def need someone post-op. Life was exhausting for at least 10 days after I got home. Also because you have to relearn how to eat etc you need the support.
I went to a wedding 5 weeks post op and was able to dance with my kids for 10 minutes. But slept on the way home!
Good luck with op.
xxxxxxxxx

Back