• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Think I am going a little nuts!

Purple Sparkle

Hi

I am 4 months banded, but probably only since my last fill 3 weeks ago have I really felt proper restriction, to the extent that after about a dozen small mouthfuls I have to stop otherwise I get the dreaded slime and pain in my chest. I tend to have 5/6 small portions of food throughout the day now.

I am getting used to it , however am finding I miss the 'satisfied' feeling I used to get when I ate food. I know that part of that feeling came from overeating, but even if I ate a normal size meal I would get the feeling.

I know I am sounding crazy, but it's like I have lost a friend, and whilst I never want to go back to eating like I used to, will i ever eat a meal and feel satisfied?

I have called my provider and am waiting a call next week, but as I said, I know I sound a bit like a fruit loop - hoping someone understands what I mean.

Justine x

Out out of curiosity what do you mean by 'the dreaded slime'.

I'm too new to this to experience it myself, but I suppose it's just something you will get used to over time.

I actually hate that 'full up' feeling, eating for me has always been just something to stop me feeling hungry.

I hope your dietician can reassure you and make you feel better about it.

I'm too new to this to experience it myself, but I suppose it's just something you will get used to over time.

I actually hate that 'full up' feeling, eating for me has always been just something to stop me feeling hungry.

I hope your dietician can reassure you and make you feel better about it.

Thanks Banderbird - I hope it is something I get used to - perhaps this is just a period of mourning and adjustment i am going through and it will get easier every day!

Justine x

Out out of curiosity what do you mean by 'the dreaded slime'.

It's where food has either got stuck or backed up and I get an excess of saliva in my throat and mouth that I have to keep swallowing back until the feeling subsides - it feels very slimy though. It's not horrific but it's not nice either. Only once have I not managed to swallow it back and that's when it came back up with the last mouthful of food I had had - now that was not pleasant.

Justine x

I can see what you mean. I'm not at that stage of restriction yet, but I know I've only felt full once since starting pre-op and it felt horribly uncomfortable. Pre-banding I enjoyed the feeling, but I'm not really missing it now.
One of the books I read about intuitive eating mentioned the full feeling, and the advice given was not to aim for full, but to aim for an absence of hunger.

I'm sure you will adjust and get through this x

google mindful eating hon :) I was exactly the same - I would over serve, especially if it was a favourite meal and I'd feel cheated if there was food left on my plate even if I was full. Try closing your eyes when eating - best if you've put the food in your mouth first though ;)

you will get used to it and eventually you will see food as fuel and not give it a second thought easy to say I know but I found in the early days I focused on each pound and got so excited over each one gone I didn't want to think about food but I was one of the lucky ones not to ever feel hungry after banding just had 3 small meals a day and watched the pounds go

This journey is not just about food. You have to find other coping mechanisms and comforting things! X

if you're getting to a point of slime, it would suggest that you've either actually over eaten or what you have eaten hasn't been chewed enough, that you've not given yourself time between mouthfuls so the food builds up above the band which in turn leads to the sliming.

Do you follow any timed pattern when you eat?

For example my provider says tiny morsel of food (no bigger than 50p piece) chew for 39 seconds, wait for 30 seconds before then cutting the next big of morsel. But then only eating for 20 mins. By eating those tiny morsels, and taking the time, it gives your body, notably the stomach receptors to tell the brain that you're no longer hungry, however it also gives the food time to pass through the band before the next one.

By reducing the size of mouthfuls, chewing lots, really slowing down the eating you may well find that the pain and sliming should ease and you'd get a few more tiny mouthfuls.

The way we eat with a band changes, and to so e extent the restriction you have so early will help you, you shouldn't feel "full" but no longer hungry, it's incredibly hard when the restriction isn't there and not only do you not feel satisfied but feel hungry even after eating.

But it can take a lot to adjust to the new eating so you don't sound crazy at all. But do watch the pain and sliming and if changing how you eat doesn't ease it, there's potentially a suggestion that you are actually carrying too much restriction.

One other thing to try is a day or two on liquids, moving to mash (with small mouthfuls and timed eating) and then moving onto food again:)

google mindful eating hon :) I was exactly the same - I would over serve, especially if it was a favourite meal and I'd feel cheated if there was food left on my plate even if I was full. Try closing your eyes when eating - best if you've put the food in your mouth first though ;)

Have just LOL'd at the thought of me eating with my eyes closed - bit like pin the tail on the donkey though likely to stab myself in face with the fork! Will def be looking at mindful eating on internet - thanks. I know the 'full' feeling is a habit, but after having the habit for so long it is tough to detach myself from it - but I am determined to break it and be successful.

Thanks Yvessa x x

if you're getting to a point of slime, it would suggest that you've either actually over eaten or what you have eaten hasn't been chewed enough, that you've not given yourself time between mouthfuls so the food builds up above the band which in turn leads to the sliming.

Do you follow any timed pattern when you eat?

For example my provider says tiny morsel of food (no bigger than 50p piece) chew for 39 seconds, wait for 30 seconds before then cutting the next big of morsel. But then only eating for 20 mins. By eating those tiny morsels, and taking the time, it gives your body, notably the stomach receptors to tell the brain that you're no longer hungry, however it also gives the food time to pass through the band before the next one.

By reducing the size of mouthfuls, chewing lots, really slowing down the eating you may well find that the pain and sliming should ease and you'd get a few more tiny mouthfuls.

The way we eat with a band changes, and to so e extent the restriction you have so early will help you, you shouldn't feel "full" but no longer hungry, it's incredibly hard when the restriction isn't there and not only do you not feel satisfied but feel hungry even after eating.

But it can take a lot to adjust to the new eating so you don't sound crazy at all. But do watch the pain and sliming and if changing how you eat doesn't ease it, there's potentially a suggestion that you are actually carrying too much restriction.

One other thing to try is a day or two on liquids, moving to mash (with small mouthfuls and timed eating) and then moving onto food again:)

Hi Kat

I have had the guidelines about the timings and chewing - 10 to 15 times per mouthful - and if plate isn't empty after 20 mins then stop. I serve everything in small plate or bowl or tupperware dish at work. It's weird that one day I can eat something with no issues but the next day i have problems with the same thing.

It's weird to describe - I am not hungry, but I am not full either and although I used to loathe myself after I had overeaten / binged prior to surgery the full feeling that came with it was a bit of a comfort blanket for me - that's what I need to get over I think. I know i am being a bit mardy and tearful about it at the moment when I need to be enjoying it - I know you have said in loads of your post the band is a tool, not a magic solution and I know I just need to re-focus and start to work with it.

Thanks Kat

Justine x

Justine,

Please stop beating yourself up, if we all ate when we were hungry only and stopped when we were full then NonE of us would of needed WLS...
Seriously is it not what u r describing that got a lot if us into this trouble in the first instance?

I don't want one biscuit to satisfy my hunger, my craving, I want a packet... That I will keep eating and eating until I feel sick and can't eat any more.
Then I feel terrible not only ill but also guilt, I admit that since having the band (10 weeks) I haven't done that, but there have been times when I have come close!!
I can't always identify the reasons why, my mood, Boredom or just habit!

It's takes time and work, u can't change who u r over night, I Defo miss feeling full, I have once only since banded, and that was slider food (going out drinking so wanted to line my stomach)

Don't be so hard on yourself, baby steps that's all... The main thing is u r being true and honest to yourself and seeking support, rather then being in denial..

Good luck and chin up

Lou x

Lou x

Hi Kat

I have had the guidelines about the timings and chewing - 10 to 15 times per mouthful - and if plate isn't empty after 20 mins then stop. I serve everything in small plate or bowl or tupperware dish at work. It's weird that one day I can eat something with no issues but the next day i have problems with the same thing.

It's weird to describe - I am not hungry, but I am not full either and although I used to loathe myself after I had overeaten / binged prior to surgery the full feeling that came with it was a bit of a comfort blanket for me - that's what I need to get over I think. I know i am being a bit mardy and tearful about it at the moment when I need to be enjoying it - I know you have said in loads of your post the band is a tool, not a magic solution and I know I just need to re-focus and start to work with it.

Thanks Kat

Justine x

Hi Justine,

I relate to that feeling of not having that "comfort" from the food. For me it is manifesting itself in not being able to turn to food for emotional comfort with regards to the self loathing and disgust I am facing regarding my skin. Its like, the thing we used to turn to, we can't. Well, we actually could but we don't want to or if we even come close, we then load on the guilt.

There are a huge amount of emotions linked to food and this is where so many issues often come from, childhood eating patterns, family eating patterns and behaviour, things we were told when growing up such as "clear your plate" etc all of this have a real impact. So making those changes to where you were, it is like a "loss" and that loss then brings about its own feelings as we look for a way to find a way forward and other methods of getting through.

I don't think you're being mardy at all - these feelings are real and that alone makes them VALID. I think we need to put forward the validity of these feelings, and being able to say "This is how I feel" is a huge positive step, because in seeing it, you can take it, worth with it and hopefully find other ways through.

:) firstly and I know I need to hear this too

BE GENTLE WITH YOURSELF! these things take time to change, grant yourself that time.

Are you still having the slime issues? Have you given thought to venturing back to liquids for a couple of days and then starting over to see if it helps? Can often help things settle down :)

Hi Justine,

I relate to that feeling of not having that "comfort" from the food. For me it is manifesting itself in not being able to turn to food for emotional comfort with regards to the self loathing and disgust I am facing regarding my skin. Its like, the thing we used to turn to, we can't. Well, we actually could but we don't want to or if we even come close, we then load on the guilt.

There are a huge amount of emotions linked to food and this is where so many issues often come from, childhood eating patterns, family eating patterns and behaviour, things we were told when growing up such as "clear your plate" etc all of this have a real impact. So making those changes to where you were, it is like a "loss" and that loss then brings about its own feelings as we look for a way to find a way forward and other methods of getting through.

I don't think you're being mardy at all - these feelings are real and that alone makes them VALID. I think we need to put forward the validity of these feelings, and being able to say "This is how I feel" is a huge positive step, because in seeing it, you can take it, worth with it and hopefully find other ways through.

:) firstly and I know I need to hear this too

BE GENTLE WITH YOURSELF! these things take time to change, grant yourself that time.

Are you still having the slime issues? Have you given thought to venturing back to liquids for a couple of days and then starting over to see if it helps? Can often help things settle down :)

Hi Kat

Thanks for your reply - it means so much that someone understands. I have seen food as a great 'friend' over many years - always there for me, when I was happy, sad, tired, giddy - I did not have a particular mood that triggered me - it was just all the time.

Yvessa mentioned earlier in this thread about mindful eating and I took her advice and googled it - it's very enlightening and this last couple of days I have really focused on slowing right down, small mouthfuls and really savouring the taste and flavours and so far, no sliming and no pain :)

I set up a MFP account yesterday and will be tracking my food and activity.

Feeling a bit more in control now and very focused -today it's 12 weeks to Christmas and I would like - no, rephrase that, I AM going to lose another 21 pounds by then!

Hope you are having a good day!

Justine x

Back