• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Thoughts & Ramblings

Bellydancer57

Nursing my recent injuries & fingers in splints thought I would put my thoughts to paper on my musings 3 months post op.
Many have said in this forum that the WLS is a tool & you still have to work at it to be successful. Yes absolutely agree. But let's examine 'work at it'. I have been very surprised at this process, journey , call it what you want but for me it has been completely different from my years & years of battling with weight.
For me since the op it's been like a re-birth, like my previous years have been wiped away & I'm starting from scratch. So kinda feel it has been so different. In the past I've battled with the weight problem & worked backwards trying to loose weight & prevent putting it back on. Since op I feel I am starting from a beginning, *new pouch, new way of learning to eat, new foods, new way of being more active, result weight loss. I can now kinda see where I've been going wrong all my life. I do understand that everyone is different & I along with my extended family have all had a weight problem despite not even having much contact with my cousins over the years. I used to envy people who were able to eat what they liked without putting on weight etc etc. don't get me wrong I've had a fantastic life, career, family *& have been blessed. My weight never held me back until my mobility started to fail.
Do others feel like it is very different?
I have had some struggles along the way, allergies to medications, back in hospital twice, had a stretch, issues with intolerances to certain foods, not getting enough protein, but somehow I have always remained very positive. I am just loving it. Yes it does take work but I used to work much harder than this with very little reward for it. *I am finding it so much easier than previous weight loss to be honest.
I still love & am interested in food, cooking, the latest trends, the latest chefs etc. 25 years in the food industry hasn't stopped that. I was even paid handsomely to travel the world to eat chocolate for 10 years! I still love watching cooking programmes & getting my foodie magazines but I am now not compelled to eat everything in sight. *I don't start salivating when I see all those lovely dishes. I *can only manage tiny portions & a fairly restricted choice if foods at the moment. But rising to my dietician's challenge to introduce new foods & textures over the next few weeks.*
I still go out to restaurants with friends & family but adapted to the situation.
I have made a promise to myself at 6 months post op I am going to a Michelin star restaurant & will choose a beautiful starter or small main course as a a lovely treat.
This weekend is a milestone as I have loaded up my size 30s onto eBay to sell. *That was quite a traumatic event as there us no going back. Before I used to put them away just in case I put the weight back on.
I'm now getting into a size 20 & just loving my new clothes & smiling that even these are getting a but roomy now.
I can't tell you how good it is to be pain-free (normally), able to run up stairs when I want, go around shopping malls without a mobility scooter, paint my toe nails, see my toes, the list goes on.
Hope I haven't bored everyone to death.
For those pro op I recommend it, for those post op keep at it, to all good luck.

My journey since the op last August has been relatively smoothe I have had little or no problems I know what I can eat now and how much i can have. I am not hung up on calories as the dietician advised me not to go there again as I have done that so often in the past, I trust my judgement now, some days I may have something i shouldnt but its very minor, I am not silly, but still crave some of the sweet things I used to love, the sad part is it doesn't taste as nice which is really good cos it means 1 small bit is quite enough and usually leaves me a bit queasy, so its in my favour even tho the head says have some. I have never been too naughty and don't intend to it took me aa long time to get to where I am today, I have always exercised and been mobile, always ate healthy, did like the unhealthy snack though and did enjoy alcohol in abundance. I know this is what led to my huge weight gain over the years and can't go back there again, I have made a lot of changes, and probably have a few more to make but heh I'm getting there and would reccommend the bypass to anyone who is in the same boat as I was. xx

Changes I have made-

I cut out alcohol totally for about 6 months before the op and for about 5 months after it. I still enjoy a drink once a fortnight, however I limit my self to 5 vodka n diet cokes. In the past would ahve been bout 15, cider, lambrini, any short.

My portions are much smaller now, from big plate down to a tea plate.

Drink more water than Iused to

Cut out a lot of bread don't have it every day like I used to.

Have cut right back on carbs, try n have 3 portions a day max.

We have always grilled or oven cooked things to get rid of fat, always exercised be it at home Zumba gym etc. So some things are the same. Never had aproblem with portions of fruit n veg. My diet now is very similar to before just in much smaller quantities n less carbs, n less sweet stuff.

Last edited:
Wow, both very interesting and insightful posts, thank you Ladies.
Em xxx

I do agree with you Bellydancer. It's almost like I've just been taught to eat properly. I really love my food and because I eat so little now I make it as tasty as I can. Full is my new favourite feeling. Before it was stuffed to the point of heaving.

I don't have to fight cravings - if I'm craving something I have it as part of a meal. By then if I still want it I figure its something my body needs.

Yes agree.
I am trying to introduce new foods & textures & just managed some Be good to yourself sun blushed hummus & 4 tiny crackers. All went well. 50 g Fresh poached salmon with a spoon of mushy peas last night. Quite pleased with myself & it seems to have kick started my weight loss again. 5 lbs to go 'til I'm in the 15's. Enjoying the Jubilee celebrations.

Back