• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Totally fed up of baby food texture and soup

Please dont your body needs to heal, soon u can eat whatever u want to xxxx

what about a nice bit of low fat low sugar triffle

I was eating: really light chocolate mousse, framage frai yogurts, low fat custard, protein shakes whizzed up with a bananna (not my taste really but was something different).

Last Sunday i tried something that was lush, my family where having a roast and i LOVE beef the way my mum does it, she puts it in a dish and covers it in water then tinfoil and puts it in the oven for a few hours, then turns the water into gravy. I took some of the meat and gravy and a few carrots and collyflower and blended it into a soup texture and OMG it was GORGE!! I got all the goodness of it too.

Im on to soft food now (started yesterday!!) and am having lemon sole for tea!! I cant wait!! xxxxx

Im confused, (I know thats nothing new!) but all the low fat custards etc seem too high in sugar for me, Im desperate for some custard, dont ask me why! but the all seem to sugary........what sugar content are you allowed? x

Its not so much what you are allowed but what you can tollerate really I think. You can make your own custard there is an egg custard recipe in the cook book everyone was talking about.

I had some low fat custard powder made with hot water and it was fine, I think I have a fairly high tolerance though.

I try to stick to no more than 5g per 100 of fat and sugar but you cant always stick to it and its not too much of a problem unless it makes you dump.

Thanks guys

zns are you diabetic by any chance? Only our Glenville pointed out to me that himself, myself and someone else on here who is diabetic do not dump... We are all diabetics x

ZNS, i'm really naughty i had 2 Melba toast with cheesespread on today......yes i know i shouldn't have but after 4 weeks of not chewing anything it was heaven & i survived them, last night i had cauliflower cheese & that stuck, so trial & error is my personal view!, Dotty i bought morrisons own custard powder it has no sugar so i just add sweetner xxxx

Im confused, (I know thats nothing new!) but all the low fat custards etc seem too high in sugar for me, Im desperate for some custard, dont ask me why! but the all seem to sugary........what sugar content are you allowed? x

I think its different for me cause im a sleever but i was just told i could have low fat custard and didnt even bother looking at the fat content :eek: Its green packaging though and its not one you have to make, its already made like yogurt. xxxxx

Z - that onion custard thing sounds yum. Because of my problems with gastritis, I had to stick on soft food for 12 weeks, it was hard but worth it. xx

Well my dietician told me I should be eating normal well chewed food by now (21st Sept op). She said start to eat well cooked meats, cauli cheese, any fish, eggs and anything with crackers e.g. dairylea dunkers (easy to take out with you), splendips (love the philly/chilli ones!) etc. I have not had any problems as long as I chew well. I find it really strange how everyone is told different things when we have basically all had the same op! I got told off by the dietician for still being on soups and was told to 'get chewing!'

(I didnt really tell her the whole truth in that I had been having quite a few bits and pieces of 'normal food' in case she was cross with me!!)

Why not get a tub of custard powder and make your own? I make this and my own semolina and its lovely! I've just started moving from liquid to mush and I'm so excited lol I've got some Carrs Melts which I smother in dairylea and chew to mush, they're heavenly! what about mashing fish pie shepherds pie etc and chewing like mad? altho my first foray into mash was a laugh, two dessertspoons Id estimate and I darent eat any more :D

I was discharged without even seeing the dietician! She was meant to come & see me before I left but she never bothered turning up, lol! However, reading the advice on the hospital's website, after this week since the op on free fluids, I'm supposed to start sloppy pureed foods, so I will start carefully tomorrow. I suppose to get the best out of the bypass, you need to get onto solids so the restriction kicks in. It is strange that we all get told different things when we've all had the same op, but I suppose it's just personal preference of each team.

There are many reasons why we should aim to stay on liquids, sloppy, soft then eventually solid food for a long as possible. Not only does it repair our body, it prevents any blockages where the large stomach is re connected to the intestine, and the new pouch connected to the further part of the small intestine.
It also aids with weight loss. As Im sure you can understand the longer you are on liquids etc, the better the weight loss before you start your 'real' life long diet.
I guess if you can't manage to stick to your stage, 1 meal out of the day that isnt that stage isnt going to be too bad - you know your body and you will know what you can tolerate, just remember weight loss and body repair :D

Thanks guys, the onion custard is gorgeous and not custard really lol.
Im back on the diet sheet, and fed up lol about 7 days left until soft foods I can not bloody wait!

Im not diabetic and have dumped but only twice mildly from eating too quickly and I think it was sugar from beetroot or the protein shake. Ive not pushed it though so I probably will dump from too much sugar/fat just havent found what that is yet.

Having said that I was prediabetic so that might be related as I am insulin resistant.

Back