• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Trying to get the hang of things

shelleymarie

I had my bypass last Thursday, so it's still really early days but I feel like most people do. Am I doing this right? My post-op diet is meant to be liquidised/purée for the first four weeks. An example menu is weetabix saturated in milk until "melted" for breakfast, chicken and veg smooth soup for lunch (puréed and sieved), fine lean mince, lots of gravy and mash for dinner again puréed until thin. You are meant to have 3 small meals and 3 snacks a day. Snacks to be things like yoghurt, glass of milk or juice. I can't fit that all in at the moment, 3 meals and 2 snack is maximum for now. I'm quite clear on what I'm meant to be eating, the thing I'm struggling with is portion size. what is too little/big? I'm serving things up in ramekin's so quite sure I'm not going too big but I'm worried this early days that everything is a bit numb still and I'm not getting signals when to stop eating until it hurts. Obviously I'd rather time it just before I get pain or is pain when I know? Also when something is completely liquid like a smooth soup is it ok if you portion size is a little bigger than a thicker purée? because obviously the soup tends to go through quicker and I feel fuller less quickly. I'm eating around two tablespoons of is it is the purée and half a mug if I have soup.. Should I check with the dietician or do people with experience think this sound ok?

It's so strange when you read everything before the surgery so you know what you are doing but when it comes to time to put it into practice you still feel completely in the deep end :confused:

Something I'm really struggling with is getting in enough fluids. Especially water. I find drinking more uncomfortable than eating. Just taking little sips seems to shift the left over wind and just seems to bubble through me. Is that normal feel that bubbly feeling? Also tablets, can't get all my tablets down yet. I'm assuming that is normal too? I can't crush mine up unfortunately. Any advice/support greatly received :)

This post could have been written by me.. well some of it anyway.
I'm too struggling with water, but I force myself to drink as much as I can especially when it's hot weather.
You sound like you are doing everything by the book, so try and worry less :)
I'm only 2 weeks post op and I find it very hard to tell if I'm hungry or not, most days I am happy to never eat again as my entire desire for food has vanished (I never thought I'd say that in my lifetime!) I eat when I know I have to and I find stuff like yogurt/soup easy to get down. I too, feel my tummy gurgle while eating, another off putting thing lol
If you stick to what the hospital has told you, you should be fine. I went off the rails a bit as I was finding it hard to eat puréed foods so I started eating normal foods way too soon. I'm now going to do 2 weeks of mainly liquids to get me back on track.
Although my hospital and team have been wonderful, I'm finding post op gastric bypass information seriously lacking. There are so many mixed messages concerning the post op diet, sometimes I just feel like saying sod it and not bothering to eat at all, but I know I have to be sensible and keep my strength up. I think the first month will be the hardest, this is when we will have to adjust to our new tummies and give them time to heal and get used to eating food in a new way :)
I guess if you are really struggling with info, then it may help you feel better if you give your nurses a quick call to make sure that you are on track.
Good luck with everything and since we're in the same boat hopefully we can support one another :D

i too feel as though i am struggling i have just moved to mash and a more blended diet for the last 2 days rather than puree and i am finding portion control hard and hard reconising the sign for enough have had a few learning curves where i was too late and oviously ate too much and boy was the pain terrible so trying not to do that again when i was on puree that was easier cos i was able to measure out the soup and was recomended to eat between 100mls and 150mls at each meal but at this thicker stage im not sure how much
any ideas ?

I always found if you do stick to the samesize dishes then you know after measuring the first few tiomes what is accpetable amount, so stick with it if you can't eat it all leave it put shade less in, the dietician always said it could be just 1 spoon more in the mouth that starts the pain, you will learn by looking at portion size what you can eat and what you can't, I was really lucky the first week because my daughter and hubby helped greatly by sorting all my food and then gradually I took over myself, but it gave me the best possible start. I f i put too much on my palkte it turns me off n I don't want too eat it cos I know it will make me bad, I often leave stuff on my plate 9 months post so get used to it ladies, YOU WILL, don't panic. I still feel my food gugling down long after a meal usually. Part of the course i'm afraid. Just keep doing what you doing follow the rules from your team and all will be well. They the professionals and know best, our insides have undergone major surgery and cannot cope very well at the minute even though the head may tell you otherwise. Good luck and keep asking questions its the best way to keep you on track. Just wish i had found this site when I was first post op I was bout 5 months post when I got on here. xx

All totally normal you are text book post surgery yay!
When healing inside starts things start flowing more easily.Just imagine your plumbing is all swollen up.As it goes down so will the food/water!Simples.Maz x

Don't expect to feel fullness for the first 4 weeks. Stick your ramekins and do your best with water. The first two weeks are hard and it does get easier. You will start to get clearer full signals after the first month as everything starts to heal

Thanks so much everyone. Feeling much more reassured. It's a funny thing, you know you are doing what you are told but you still worry you are doing it wrong. I can't wait until I'm a few more months down the line and got more of a handle on things but I'm feeling a bit better each day so seem to be making a good recovery, can't be unhappy with that :D thanks again :) x

You will learn what is enough just by looking, without weighing and counting calories, that makes life much easier because thats how a lot of us ended up in the predicamnt we were in by counting and watching then feeeling guilty then eating a bit more, its logical when you think about it. xx good luck xx the only questions we don't ask are the silly ones. xx

Agree with everything said in previous posts. I experienced it all & more but just settling into my sleeve now & enjoying it. Don't be too impatient. I was & I've learnt o take things slower. It has worked. Good luck.

Thank you :) Yes patience is something I do need to learn for this part of the journey, I know I will need a lot but I'm already seeing results. A jacket that didn't fit me a few weeks ago does now and I'm snoring less. Plus I could get the seat belt done up in the car including me and a pillow, very shocked about that. All these little things are already proving it is worth it. Thanks again :) x

Back