• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Twisted bowel/hernia-What happens when having stomach scan?

emma-louise

my new life!!
Does anyone know what does a stomach scan exactly involve after you've had gastric surgery?
I've got to have one done to check what this discomfort I'm having.
They are checking possibility of twisted bowel/hernia etc.
And do all hospital do stomach scans the same way?
I wasn't told any details so wondering what will happen..

Your doctor didn't say which scan he was sending you for? It will depend on your consultant really. Under non-WLS circumstances the first scan is often a CT, which is when you are passed through a giant ring. It's quick, only take 5-10 minutes. Can you contact your consultant (through his secretary perhaps) to get a proper explanation?

A ct scan can sometimes mean taking a drink first and having a contrast dye put in half way through. I was sent a leaflet with my appointment which explained it all. It is really quite quick, I think I was in the room for about 15 - 20mins or so, but that was partly because they could not get a canular in.

There is loads of info on the net too, but it is really quick and pain free you just have to lie still and hold your breath a few times.

A ct scan can sometimes mean taking a drink first and having a contrast dye put in half way through. I was sent a leaflet with my appointment which explained it all. It is really quite quick, I think I was in the room for about 15 - 20mins or so, but that was partly because they could not get a canular in.

There is loads of info on the net too, but it is really quick and pain free you just have to lie still and hold your breath a few times.

Thanks Jane,
Do you have to wear a gown at all?
Sorry if that sounds a daft question!

Yes I had to take everything off except pants and they gave me two gowns one to wear as a gown and one as a dressing gown, so quite decent. I think you have to get undressed because of any potential metal anywhere.

The contrast die makes you feel as though you are wetting yourself and get a metalic taste, but it soon goes. Sure you will be fine.

Yes I had to take everything off except pants and they gave me two gowns one to wear as a gown and one as a dressing gown, so quite decent. I think you have to get undressed because of any potential metal anywhere.

The contrast die makes you feel as though you are wetting yourself and get a metalic taste, but it soon goes. Sure you will be fine.

Thanks for info,
Just got to wait now for my appointment to come through.
Gig to admit I'm not looking forward to it..
I'm sick of the sight of hospitals,but really need an answer to all this discomfort I'm having.

Hopefully you will get all the information about your scan with your appointment. Fingers crossed you get the appointment through soon.

The ct scan is really precise so if anything is wrong it will show up. I have to go in for a scope next week to check my colon which I am not looking forward to at all, but at least I know everything is being looked at and checked.

Back