• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Two days post op -GBand

Helski

Well, I've done it. So far so good. No real pain, the only real pain I have is in my neck and throat. I think it's probably from sleeping in a sitting up position which was insisted upon and from the intubation.

I don't seem to be suffering from wind pain as such although I am still quite bloated.

What I am surprised at is that I am hungry. I didn't expect that at all. So far today I've had a smoothie, (strawberries and milk and half a protein bar) and some chicken soup.

I haven't heard anything from my provider. Should I expect a call? No idea in regards to first fill etc. But I guess it will all come through in the fullness of time.

The care in the hospital etc was excellent - at home alone today so just mooching about and trying to pluck up courage to phone my mother and tell her.

Ridiculous at the age of 56, but there we are, mothers are very influential in our lives, no matter how old we are. Or at least mine is!!

Welcome to banded life, I'm glad all has gone well.

Wind pain from the surgery can often show itself in the neck - a hot water bottle may help :)

I haven't heard anything from my provider. Should I expect a call? No idea in regards to first fill etc. But I guess it will all come through in the fullness of time.
Yes HW call around 3-5 days post op depending on when it falls with a weekend, at that phone call they will then book you in for your first fill which is usually 5 weeks. Your dates are going to clash with Xmas and HW actually cease doing fills from mid december as a rule to avoid any issues with over restriction. It maybe that they will fit you in because its your first, but otherwise it will be a case of waiting until january :)

What I am surprised at is that I am hungry. I didn't expect that at all. So far today I've had a smoothie, (strawberries and milk and half a protein bar) and some chicken soup.
It isn't uncommon to have hunger feelings after surgery and it is usually HW practice that they do not put any fill into the band at the time of surgery, so you are likely to find that the hunger may well increase as you approach the time of your fill.

Drink smaller amounts of whatever you're having liquid wise and often, warm frothy milk or frothed up milkshakes made with NAS crusha or even slim fast or shakes can help. You can always add skimmed milk powder for extra protein.

Drink plenty tho, keeping hydrated is important :)

Hi
I've been doing okay. Just really finding it hard to be on a liquid only diet. Had a bit of a scare and reminder today. We had friends for lunch who don't know about the op. I made them all fish pie and put mine into the blender to liquify but to be honest it was probably a bit too much like puree and not liquid. So I did get a pain in my chest. I was terrified that I'd stretched the pouch, but it calmed down very quickly and I stopped eating. I've only had liquids since and I feel fine. But it was a reminder that I am on a liquid diet.
I've only lost four pounds since I came out of hospital, but I'm pleased with that. I'll be glad when the liquid part is over but I'm sticking with it.
Still very bloated though. I remember being like this when I had my gall bladder removed and it took a few weeks to go down. Did anyone else experience that? But otherwise I'm really living a normal life, just not going to work. But I've done some housework, been for a long walk and generally just getting on with it. All good.

Last edited:
I've had those pains quite often, I think it just goes with getting used to the band and learning to eat slowly, chew well and 20/20/20. It only happens with some things. I've never had anything get properly stuck though, or had PBing or sliming.

I was very bloated for about the first two weeks but it did go down eventually.

I hated liquids, I never wanted to see a bowl of soup again.

Mushies are great, you'll be on them before you know it. I had home-made shepherds pie tonight, and it's one of the things that just goes down so well (for me), it was wonderful.

Glad it's all going so well - good luck for the remainder of the liquid stage!

Hope you are feeling a little better today :)

Thanks - I feel really well today. I think as the swelling is going down the area of the port is more uncomfortable and I was surprised I could feel it so easily - a bit weird but I guess I'll get used to it! It hurts to bend right over but I guess that is normal?
Thanks again for your support.

Thanks - I feel really well today. I think as the swelling is going down the area of the port is more uncomfortable and I was surprised I could feel it so easily - a bit weird but I guess I'll get used to it! It hurts to bend right over but I guess that is normal?
Thanks again for your support.

Glad you're doing ok,:)

It's quite normal to feel the port area and yes it can be very tended for a while to bend over - sounds as if you're healing well :)

Your liquids should be the consistency of being able to pass up a straw (but not drinking through one) it's important to stick to those guidelines to avoid doing yourself or the band damage and allowing yourself to heal :)

How are you doing now Helski? My band is in five days. I'm reading your posts with great interest. X
Hi Chappers, I'm doing really well thanks. Firstly, I've not experienced any real pain at all, just some wind pain in my left shoulder, but totally bearable and have not had to take pain killers.
I found the fluid stage really difficult, just finding interesting flavours was a challenge, but you do get used to it. Today I have had some 'solid' food, just some very soft lasagne, about a tablespoon of it and it was delicious! If you have any questions of any kind please ask. I'm not any kind of expert but I can certainly share my own experience. I know how I felt at your stage and I couldn't get enough information. Good luck.

Thanks Helski, much appreciated. I'll be glad when it's all over now! Mind you, I'm having a crown fitted on Monday and I think that worries me more! Daft aye? X

Glad you're doing so well Helski!

The first normal food you have after liquids tastes like nectar of the gods doesn't it?

Hi Chappers, I'm doing really well thanks. Firstly, I've not experienced any real pain at all, just some wind pain in my left shoulder, but totally bearable and have not had to take pain killers. I found the fluid stage really difficult, just finding interesting flavours was a challenge, but you do get used to it. Today I have had some 'solid' food, just some very soft lasagne, about a tablespoon of it and it was delicious! If you have any questions of any kind please ask. I'm not any kind of expert but I can certainly share my own experience. I know how I felt at your stage and I couldn't get enough information. Good luck.

Hi Hun, how are you doing? I'm three days out and feel a bit sorry for self today. Doubting my decision. I'm so bloated and feel like I've eaten a cow. Did you feel this? X

Aww chappers I promise in around 2-3 days you'll see a turning point and will start to feel better! X x

Thanks for that, I do hope so. I think it's worse because my son went home last night and I'm left alone with hubby!!! I feel like a need a hug but of course, there isn't one forthcoming. He's just brooding. Not as bad as he was but still no support or comfort. X

Well here's a big metaphorical internet hug from me! X x x he will come round it's done now! Not much more he can do now x

Hi Hun, how are you doing? I'm three days out and feel a bit sorry for self today. Doubting my decision. I'm so bloated and feel like I've eaten a cow. Did you feel this? X

Don't doubt yourself, you did the right thing. You will feel SO much better in a couple of days.

I was all bloated too, it soon goes. You're just healing, that's all.

Big internet hugs from me :hug99:

Helski - how are you doing?

Back