• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Unrealistic Weight Loss Expectations of Bariatric Surgery Patients

Kevin1708

Century Club
Thought this might be of interest . . . x

by Kimberly Taylor on January 20, 2011 ·

At a time when an increasing number of overweight and obese people are turning their hopes to bariatric surgery as a weight loss solution, there is a concern that many of them are making life altering decisions without fully understanding the likely outcomes.

Numerous studies have examined this notion and found that a wide discrepancy exists between the amount of excess weight loss medical researchers consider successful following bariatric surgery and the amount of excess weight loss potential patients expect to achieve.

So, how much excess weight should bariatric surgery patients expect to lose?

In a study conducted at the University of Florida, researchers asked bariatric surgery patients about their expectations and perceived notions about weight loss. The study participants were asked to categorize their weight loss expectations as
“dream,”
“happy,”
“acceptable”and
“disappointed.”

The patients answered in the following manner:
  • the “dream” weight would be 89% +/- 8% excess body weight loss
  • the “happy” weight would be 77% +/- 9% excess body weight loss
  • the “acceptable” weight would be 67% +/- 10% excess body weight loss
  • the “disappointed” weight would be 49% +/- 14% excess body weight loss
So how do medical professionals define success with weight loss surgery?

As a general guideline, weight loss surgery is considered successful when 50% of excess weight is lost and the weight loss is sustained up to five years. For example, if a patient is 100 pounds overweight they should lose at least 50 pounds; or, if a patient is 200 pounds overweight they should lose at least 100 pounds. Then, following the weight loss, the patient should keep off the lost amount of excess weight for at least five years.
The University of Florida study revealed that the “disappointed” weight of patients was the amount of excess body weight loss that bariatric surgery providers would consider a successful weight loss outcome following surgery.

Similar discrepancies were seen in a study conducted by Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine in which researchers examined weight loss expectations in patients undergoing three different weight loss procedures (laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding, or laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy).

At the beginning of the program, patients were asked to identify their postsurgical goal weights. Once these were stated, “realistic” goal weights were calculated by the researchers for each patient based upon their presurgical excess weight and expected loss based upon their surgical procedure. The results showed that there was a wide discrepancy between the “realistic” and “dream” expected excess weight loss. There were no differences based upon the type of surgery; those who were most likely to have unrealistic goals were women, Caucasians, younger patients, and those with higher initial BMI’s.

These two studies are only two of numerous studies that have examined expectations of weight loss results of presurgical bariatric surgery patients. All too often, potential patients seem to understand the benefits of bariatric surgery but have unrealistic weight loss expectations.

As the number of people who are undergoing bariatric surgery is increasing, there is an apparent need for bariatric surgery providers to educate prospective bariatric surgery candidates about setting realistic excess weight loss goals as well as making sure they understand the lifelong lifestyle changes that are required to achieve and maintain these results.

Hi Kev,

It's a good article, thank you.

My thoughts on this are that we are 'All' very different and individual... I'm hoping to lose slowly, feel well along the way and be able to keep it off...

It can imply pressure if we feel compared to others and I see weightloss and wls as a very individual thing personally...

Whichever way it comes off and stays off, as long as we feel well and better... has to be good.

It's a great journey and well worth the effort.

Love and hugs xxx

Thanks for the info !

Lynne x

Reactions: Bev
Hi Kev,

It's a good article, thank you.

My thoughts on this are that we are 'All' very different and individual... I'm hoping to lose slowly, feel well along the way and be able to keep it off...

It can imply pressure if we feel compared to others and I see weightloss and wls as a very individual thing personally...

Whichever way it comes off and stays off, as long as we feel well and better... has to be good.

It's a great journey and well worth the effort.

Love and hugs xxx
I agree with you Bev. It is very individual, also lifestyle, personal circumstances, etc., are all relevant.
I am happy plodding along at a slow pace, with the occasional blip and prolonged period of levelling off. I think I would have to re assess though if the weight started to creep on. It would obviously be down to my wl strategy - Paul x

I agree Bev,I also think you should go into wls eyes wide open after finding out as much as you can about it.I was 100lb overweight,if I can achieve 50/70 lb reduction after 5 years I will be very happy I made the right choice.If you go into wls after being obese for most of your adult life and expect to come out the other end a completely different person you are setting yourself up for a fall.Maz x

I agree Bev, we are all aware of the statistics for our chosen WLS tool and no matter how long it takes us to get to that stage or exceed it we will get there x

Thanks for posting this Kev, I think sometimes people do have high expectations but in reality they need to make some further lifestyle changes other than being bypassed / banded or sleeved.

Work with your WLS tool :D

I'm very happy to lose a pound or two pounds a week plus expect stalls.... I do find that my expectations are not tremendously high, so many variables and it's sad to see pressure placed upon anyone to feel it's a competitive issue, which I feel can lead to problems... it's often inch loss and well being which are of equal importance.

Just do all you can to utilise your 'wls tool' work to the best of your ability and call upon your support network... it's constant learning...lifestyle and dietary...

I believe anyone and everyone who has come this far and who has endured these problems deserves a pat on the back... we get there one way or another... everyone's success counts and comparison guidelines are not for everyone...

Best foot forward all Angels... we are in this together xxx

I've already exceded my initial expectations but am more concerned about the long term. I worry that my initial success is setting me up for a harder ride down the road...

very good article...thank you for posting

I had an appointment with the surgeon, anaesthetist , and dietitian yesterday.
I thought the dietitian was going to talk about post op foods etc, but she stayed with what I eat now, and said I had unrealistic expectations of what the surgery will do. She thinks my diet is too high in fat now, and will be afterwards.

She maybe right but I did feel like a failure even before I have started and given things a go. The figures the surgeon gave me will still put me obese even if I loose 70% of my excess weight, but I would be happy with that.

I've already exceded my initial expectations but am more concerned about the long term. I worry that my initial success is setting me up for a harder ride down the road... Rose

Do you mean in the way that it will be harder to maintain or you fear putting weight back on? You have done exceedingly well, and look fab. Can I ask who set your goal of 24.8? Was it your team or your own goal. I was given a goal of 31. something with 70% loss, but as I said above that is still obese.

Good luck with your wls Penguina and hope you are learning 'loads' I certainly did with the help of this forum.... and peeps like our Rose...

Rose... what is your plan to set up a maintainance diet precious? You have a remarkable wls history... and all of your hard work could not be in vain... you are a true shining beacon Angel.

Love and hugs xxx

I've been mentally working on this mental issue myself! Particularly because I've seen so many people who got down to goal weight online. I'm trying to remind myself that I will probably lose 50-70 lbs. (of 100 lbs) from surgery and the rest is going to be gravy! Still I'm struggling with unlikely expectations.

Yes bev thanks I have lots of notes and tips on under headings on paper that I shall collate and make a booklet up. Mostly I have filled in under my breakfast idea's and lunch idea''s - not that I am food obsessed LOL.

Awww Trisha and Barb, it's difficult... it's certainly a 'learning' journey and we are all individuals, see things differently and lose at different levels.... just stick at it and do all you can, you'll find lots of support on here and wishing you both all the very best on your respective wls journeys.

Love and hugs xxx

I have been following your progress Bev , you are doing very well. Just look at your stones done list 19, 18, 17 and nearly done with the 16's. WEY HAY !

Awww Bless Trisha... a long long way to go... but every step is in the right direction, there is no way I could have accomplished this without wls ... love and hugs Angel xxx

It's good information. My surgeon, Peter Small, outlined similar statistics when I first saw him (and I think they featured in the seminar he gave). I don't think you can have too much information as you go into this.

Remembering back to where I was when I started, I thought I would be happy to end up a size 20 and be able to shop in Marks and Spencers.

My expectations adjusted as I progressed.

Great article, thanks for posting!
It's not just lifestyle and personal circumstances, diet and type of surgery that makes us all different, it's our BODIES that are different! One person will have a different digestive system and metabolism to the next.
We should absolutely not compare our journey with that of someone else. I am aware that it's only human nature but I know from experience how badly this can affect a person. It's important to go into this eyes wide open and armed with the right information and statistics, for sure.

Back