• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vitamin D

I had my three month post op telephone appointment last week and was told that I am deficient in Vitamin D. This surprised me as I thought it was Vitamin B that most by passers lack.

The hospital is writing to my doc suggesting tablets to be prescriped.

I asked if there was any foods that I could eat to help with this and I was told that there was but I would have to eat my body weight in them (not a problem post op) to get the required amount. I am in the meantime trying to get some sun and maybe this is my excuse to get a holiday lol.

So my question is...has anyone else been told that they are low in Vitamin D and if so have they started taking meds and how has it affected you, before meds and after meds?

Thanks

ooh, Ive not heard of anyone with a Vit D deficiency either... something else for us all to look out for now.

I know we get Vit D from sun exposure - stupid question alert... Would a couple of sunbed sessions give you the same result?

Have you googled it to see what it means to be deficient in Vit D and what the long term implications are?

Hope somebody can give you some more sensible advice than I can!

Hi Michelle. I have a vitamin D deficiency too and according to my doctors so do about 60% of the population of Britain...purely due to lack of sunlight. I've also been told you just can't eat enough of it so you'll probably be offered tablets or an injection. I went for the injection as you only have to have it every 3 months or so.

Apparently though Vit D deficiency is also common in obese people and to add to the cycle the more weight you put on the less able the body is to absorb the Vit D.

Don't worry though, it's really not a problem and since I've had my jabs my blood has all been fine. I'm sure yours will be too :)

By the way, I didn't feel unwell before the jabs and haven't really felt any different since either. Only my blood tests have changed.

And also, I was offered a choice of tablets or injection. You said you've been offered tablets but you might want to ask about having a jab instead if that's easier to manage.

I'm already on suppliments prescribed post op, Adcal D3 chewable tabs, great big white chalky tablets. They are calcium & vitamin D combined.

I'm already on suppliments prescribed post op, Adcal D3 chewable tabs, great big white chalky tablets. They are calcium & vitamin D combined.

Oooh I have those too...in addition to the jabs. Forgot about them.

Hi Michelle. I have a vitamin D deficiency too and according to my doctors so do about 60% of the population of Britain...purely due to lack of sunlight. I've also been told you just can't eat enough of it so you'll probably be offered tablets or an injection. I went for the injection as you only have to have it every 3 months or so.

Apparently though Vit D deficiency is also common in obese people and to add to the cycle the more weight you put on the less able the body is to absorb the Vit D.

Don't worry though, it's really not a problem and since I've had my jabs my blood has all been fine. I'm sure yours will be too :)

Thanks for this. I havent been to see my dr yet so not sure if it will be tablets or injections. I didnt really think I might have a choice but if I do I would probably go for injections as I seem to be taking loads of tablets as it is.

Thanks for this. I havent been to see my dr yet so not sure if it will be tablets or injections. I didnt really think I might have a choice but if I do I would probably go for injections as I seem to be taking loads of tablets as it is.

That's why I went for the jab too...no more tablets PLEASE!!!! :eek:

I was told pre-op that I was Vitamin D deficient - not surprising as I am allergic to the sun! I've been taking Vit D tablets for some time now. It will be interesting to see what my levels are like when I have my blood tests xx

Interesting thread and you learn something new every day.:)

God I love this site. It is good to know that I am not the only one. I will let the dr decide on whether jabs or an injection when I see her on the 24th (three weeks time- just as well it is not urgent!)

I've been taking Calcichew D3 Forte tabs daily for about 18 months now. I was diagnosed as Vit D deficient when being tested for possible RA. I was also told that the blood tests for Vit D MUST be done soon after the blood is taken as the sample has a very short shelf life for that test. I'm still Vit D deficient at my 6 month tests but it is getting better. They are going to check it again in 6 months so it can't be that important.

Back