• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vitamin D deficiency

jaxx

I got a letter from my provider yesterday saying I had a severe vitamin D deficiency. Has anyone had any experience of this and what symptoms I could experience? I've got a prescription to pick up at my docs tomorrow.

Hi Dear, Sorry don't have any idea about this but would really like to know more on this matter. Hope someone experienced will answer soon. All the best.

Hi there,

I think lack of vitamin D can affect mood changes during pmt, can cause seasonal depression (SAD) and also can cause osteoporosis (brittle bones), cramps, tingling and at worst rickets!!! Often no symptoms can be seen or felt even though you may be deficient.

Common after wls due to malabsorption,

Hope this helps.

I've been told by the hospital too and have an appt with doc. Haven't had any symptoms but have been told to get as much sunlight as possible

We were told at our last support group meeting that the latest research shows bypass patients should be taking vitamin D supplements.

My neighbour had a vitamin D defficiency and she was quite poorly for a long time....she was generally unwell, depressed achey and tired all the time. After months of testing her for allsorts thats what was diagnosed. She is now much better after having tablets for ages and getting as much sunlight as possible :D XX

I have this too and have been taking vit D supplements for a while now. Can't say that I have noticed any symptoms or anything getting better after taking tabs though x

There may not be noticeable symptoms but could be causing damage to your bones which may not come to light until after the damage is done.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have been feeling tired, depressed and achy but put that down to being tired, depressed and overweight for too long for my joints to cope. lol

I already take two supplements with 100% recommended daily allowance of vit D but it's obviously not enough.

thanks again

The rda for vit D in the uk is considerably lower than elsewhere. I did a lot of research into vit D a few years ago as there is a school of thought that it plays a part in psoriasis. I was taking 1000iu tablets daily, but i know some people on 5000iu. If you're taking supplements make sure it's d3.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Ps I got the high iu tablets from holland & barretts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

i was gonna say, isnt there vit d in the forceval, and calcichew things

I read that it has to be d3 you take and not d2 and 5000iu daily if you are suffering with defficency but a also read that if you take vitamin d and you havent got a defficency then there are some nasty side effects! Who knows! This gastric bypass stuff is soooooooo complicated!!! Xxx

Back