• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Waiting for referral to Walsall Manor

Schmoo

Hi everyone! :wave_cry:

Having read some of your posts I feel a lot more confident about talking about my own experiences of weight loss so far, which have all failed.

I have been overweight since I was a teenager. Previous diets I have tried have only shifted around half a stone and once stopped the weight piles on and them some!

I have tried most of the fad diets, slimming clubs, Xenical, Reductil, dietician, personal trainer, etc

So now I am currently waiting for an appointment at Walsall Manor Hospital for weight loss surgery. My Dr referred me there at the start of June and as yet I haven't had any news of a date, could anyone tell me how long this normally takes to come through and what to expect?

Thanks

Hi and welcome to Mini's

There are lots of people here that have had their ops at Walsall Manor...seems like a great place to have your op...but the journey is so different for everyone...a lot depends not only on the PCT, but the hospital and the surgeon...Some say about a year from GP to surgery.

Good luck with yours

(((hugs)))

I dont think there is a normal lenght of time as everyone at WM seems to differ from day to day I was done and dusted in 16 weeks

Hi schmoo and welcome to minis, at the moment they are cancelling a lot of appointments due to overbooking and also there is a 4 month cooling off period now after the first appointment, you could try ringing Leslie Hannan and ask her as she deals with the appointment.

Thanks for that, just a bit worried I might have been forgotten as I haven't had anything to confirm that I've been referred or the date for a first appointment yet! Guess I'm just being impatient, huh!?

Schmoo try ringing and ask of they have received your referral and how long it will be before you get an appointment, I did this and had my first appointment approx 1 week later but then its the dreaded 4 month wait and i no people on here have had there 4 month appointments moved back another couple of months so they are busy but you might just get a cancellation.

My G.P refered me the middle of July and my next appointments are in November

Cool, OK, I'll ring them tomorrow :) wasn't really sure if it was ok to do that but worth a try - Thank you x

Hi Schmoo and welcome to Mini's. I was referred in March 2008 and finally got my op at Walsall on the 14 June 2009 so for me it was 14 months but the time did go quick and because I had that thinking time there was no second thoughts for me, so good luck with your weight loss journey xxx

Hi schmoo and welcome to minis, at the moment they are cancelling a lot of appointments due to overbooking and also there is a 4 month cooling off period now after the first appointment, you could try ringing Leslie Hannan and ask her as she deals with the appointment.

I rang Leslie this morning and she told me that Mr Khan has all recent referrals and so she can't book anyone in as all new appointments are on hold for a couple of months (?) and are being sorted by districts....not sure what order they'll be done in though...oh well, at least I feel a bit better knowing that I haven't been "lost" :sigh:

Thank you for your help

I would just keep rining every few days just to find out what is going on as walsall manor admin team are not very good, but at least you no your in the system somewhere.

Hi Schmoo and welcome to minis.

I too am from Wolverhampton, which bit do you come from? I'm near Low Hill........

If Mr Khan has your referral there wouldn't be much point in ringing Lesley for a week or so to see what is going on with it! It might pay you to find out (sorry i dont know their name) Mr Khan's secretary as she may be able to rifle through them and see if your in there waiting to be processed (sounds so attractive i know). Apparently WM are changing the way they do things, there is a wls meeting coming up in Sept and if i can find anything out to share with you about this i will do.

Wishing you good luck with your referral and hope you get some good news soon xxx

Just wanted to thank everyone for welcoming me and for your invaluable advice which I have followed, resulting in a first appointment letter arriving today!! booked for 2 weeks time!! Can't describe how pleased I am :D

Well done and good luck with your first appointment. Persistence pays off sometimes lol

There might be a bit of a delay in your first appointment because the 3 drs involved in the first appointment were on their hols during july and august. Give it til the end of the week then check with your gp when they did the referral and then ring wm and see if they have received it. Most of us that are post op waited about 6 weeks between gp refferal and first appointment.

Welcome to Minis,

There are loads of people on here at various stages with Walsall Manor.

I had my 1st appointment in June, I have my psyc appointment later this month and then I see Mr Khan in October.

You will get loads of information during your first appointment which could last sometime (mine was about 2 1/2 hours) as you see several people dietician, Bariatric Nurse (Ana) and Dr Kendrick.

Good luck

Mells xx:)

im fine thanx mells, just wishing the days away till my next appointment. Hows you?

Hello Moo.

I would ring Tracy Lowe not Lesley (has anyone here got Tracy's number they could PM Moo?)

I would also keep on at them because one hand doesn't know what the other hands doing there especially on the admin side. They are notoriously bad with making and keeping appointments and have been known to make some right bloomers, then will lie about it afterwards. I sometimes think that they assume that bypassers don't talk to each other and compare notes...lol

Once you do get those appointments the team are really good, its mainly the admin, and if your happy to accept a cancellation make sure that they know you are.

It might be worth mentioning that at the moment their clinics are massively oversubscribed. I've been kept waiting five or six hours on more than one occasion because of it.

Wish you luck and all the best.
xxx

Back