• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What is your "dumping" experience?

Tiggerific

I Love my Bypass!
As far as I can make out I do not dump. I know I have explosive diarrhoea the day after eating anything slightly fatty and horrible pain if I eat too much or too quick, but I have not had any symptoms that have been described on here. The only things I have heard on here sound very much like a hypo (glycaemic) episode of which I had loads of when I was using insulin. ie: palpitations, sweating, shaking, feeling light headed, sickness etc

Can you please tell me what is your own personal experience of dumping?

Thank you

Sounds like a silly questions but are hypos only diabetic related........ Just everything you have described I sometimes suffer but I don’t have diabetes.

Sorry if it sounds silly or ignorant xx

Sounds like a silly questions but are hypos only diabetic related........ Just everything you have described I sometimes suffer but I don’t have diabetes.

Sorry if it sounds silly or ignorant xx

Not silly honey ... you don't know if you don't ask :) Around 50% of post bypassers will have dumping syndrome to some degree or another. It is caused by the intestines being so much shorter & food passing through your system much more quickly resulting in an overload of insulin. Some have it really badly & the fear of it stops them from eating sweet, high fat foods but some (like me :() don't dump at all so have to use more will power to make the right food choices. xxx :)

Not silly honey ... you don't know if you don't ask :) Around 50% of post bypassers will have dumping syndrome to some degree or another. It is caused by the intestines being so much shorter & food passing through your system much more quickly resulting in an overload of insulin. Some have it really badly & the fear of it stops them from eating sweet, high fat foods but some (like me :() don't dump at all so have to use more will power to make the right food choices. xxx :)

I’m with you Denise so a hypo is just like dumping, is that right? I haven’t even had op yet lol and I’ve had them. I do have IBS and my moods dictate my body so I think I’ll be ill for a few weeks after surgery but no pain no gain xx

I’m with you Denise so a hypo is just like dumping, is that right? I haven’t even had op yet lol and I’ve had them. I do have IBS and my moods dictate my body so I think I’ll be ill for a few weeks after surgery but no pain no gain xx

The symptoms are different for different people ... Your IBS symptoms could also be very similar to what some people experience as dumping ... going to be a case of wait & see.:( I was genuilnly disappointed that I didn't dump but hey ho, it's still a lot easier to stick to the good stuff now. :) xxx

explosive diarrhoea is dumping on too high a fat content!! [/Qive never dumped but equally 3 yrs post bypass have never had anything that should make me dump.QUOTE]

Depends what you think should make you dump ... I could never have had a Slimfast shake pre op as it has so much sugar in it & it would have given me a hypo but I have no problem with them now & they are recommended by the bariatric teams so are not contraband x :)

Because of my job i'm a short break foster carer for children with disabilities i have never seen the point of putting the theory to the test. The children are dependent on me and i cant afford to make myself ill because i have eaten something that i shouldnt. I know some people dump on things that most people wouldn't (jacket potatoes, rice etc) and that is plain unfortunate. But i really cant get my head around people eating things that could possiably make tham dump just to see which in turn makes sticking to health eating harder as the temptation is there because they now know they wont dump if they eat it. x

I can dump on anything and everything, my dumping is more about what mood i'm in and what my stress levels are. Dumping is my IBS i dont get constipated. lovely talk haha :) x

ive never dumped but equally 3 yrs post bypass have never had anything that should make me dump.

I can't imagine why anyone would play Russian Roulette with this either but I know full well that things such as Slimfast & even fruit smoothies which are on the diet sheets from very early days, have no effect on me post op but would have been unthinkable pre op due to being diabetic. So from this I surmise that sugar does not make me dump ... not done fatty things much as didn't do fat pre op cos of my hubbys bad heart & we have over the years stayed away from high fat things. But I have not dumped in 6 weeks with a very varied diet so assume my new pouch likes what I am feeding it & NON of it has been unhealthy stuff. I am embracing the new healthy lifestyle the op has granted me x

explosive diarrhoea is dumping on too high a fat content!!

It is speculated that "early" dumping is associated with difficulty digesting fats while "late" dumping is associated with carbohydrates.

"Early" dumping begins concurrently or immediately succeeding a meal. Symptoms of early dumping include nausea, vomiting, bloating, cramping, diarrhoea, dizziness and fatigue. "Late" dumping happens 1 to 3 hours after eating. Symptoms of late dumping include weakness, sweating, and dizziness. Many people have both types.

So in theory, I am not "technically" dumping at all, as my upset bowels starts 24 hours after I have eaten, yet I eat a 90% carb free diet (so I do not need to reintroduce insulin again) but I do know that the reason I have the upset is because one of my meals was a little high in fat eg: cheese, meat etc. I, in no means, eat fatty foods as a matter of course.

I can dump on anything and everything, my dumping is more about what mood i'm in and what my stress levels are. Dumping is my IBS i dont get constipated. lovely talk haha :) x

you will be surprised after your op, how much you talk and think about bowel habits :D

you will be surprised after your op, how much you talk and think about bowel habits :D

I do already. I suffer very badly with my bowels and stomach. Already been advised that i could be in for a tough ride but op is worth it. I try and keep my stress levels down doesnt always work though lol x

Because of my job i'm a short break foster carer for children with disabilities i have never seen the point of putting the theory to the test. The children are dependent on me and i cant afford to make myself ill because i have eaten something that i shouldnt. I know some people dump on things that most people wouldn't (jacket potatoes, rice etc) and that is plain unfortunate. But i really cant get my head around people eating things that could possiably make tham dump just to see which in turn makes sticking to health eating harder as the temptation is there because they now know they wont dump if they eat it. x

I have only just last week stopped my insulin and before this I was having numerous hypos and had to have something sugary/carby to stop it (or die)

I had fruit juice (fast acting, very high carb), jelly babies (because I was out and my friend had them in her bag) and I even had to resort to a brew with sugar when a long standing, stubborn, hypo wouldnt break.

None of these times did I have any adverse reactions, except my blood sugars returned to normal.

All these hypos were brought on by the insulin (hence stopping it now) and not dumping. I have not had a hypo in over a week since stopping the insulin :)

I have only just last week stopped my insulin and before this I was having numerous hypos and had to have something sugary/carby to stop it (or die)

I had fruit juice (fast acting, very high carb), jelly babies (because I was out and my friend had them in her bag) and I even had to resort to a brew with sugar when a long standing, stubborn, hypo wouldnt break.

None of these times did I have any adverse reactions, except my blood sugars returned to normal.

All these hypos were brought on by the insulin (hence stopping it now) and not dumping. I have not had a hypo in over a week since stopping the insulin :)

Thats great, Alica ... its liberating not having to take insulin, isn't it. Long may it continue, honey xxx :):)

and i only dump because of a spastic colon, bless my poor irritated bowels - hopefully all will change after my op as the stress levels will come down. x

I have lots of experience of both dumping and hypoglycaemic episodes, and while similar it's easy for me to tell the difference. I'm not diabetic but developed reactive hypoglycaemia as a post-bypass side effect. This causes completely random hypos which resolve with glucogel, dextrose or lots of chocolate!

For me dumping is worse, I feel hot and flustered, nauseous and light headed, and can only resolve it properly by sleeping it off. I dump on sugars, and refined carbs. My tolerance for these has increased as the years have passed but I still have to be careful. I have to push the limits though due to the chronic malabsorption I also developed post op to try and get higher calories in. Fat doesn't affect me at all luckily.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Since my op, I have found only a couple of things that I think have caused dumping. Porridge with Canderel, Heinz ravioli, and rice. If it is dumping I have experianced the symptons go like this. first i feel really bloated and my stomach bubbles and gurggles. I then can't stop yawning which gives me a feeling of nausiuose but this all passes after an hour or so. I then feel really tired. This has happend on several occasions and its not due to eating quick as i am very careful to take my time and chew my food to a mush. What do you all think!! am I experiancing a dumping episode!!.

Stavros

Back