• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What is your "dumping" experience?

Yup Stavros, the yawning, sleepiness and nausea are all classic symptoms. Try switching to brown rice, wholemeal pasta and a protein based breakfast such as scrambled egg, beans on (wholemeal) toast, yoghurt etc. The tired feeling an hour or so after eating is a typical refined carb dump as the carbs are broken down to sugars during this time. Made worse if you have something sweet like a glass of fresh orange or a yoghurt an hour or so after eating the carbs as the sugar from the new food is exacerbated by the carb sugars so while each portion on their own may not make you dump the combination of the 2 does.

Best cure I've found for dumping is drink plenty of water to try and flush the problem food through faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I am 7 weeks out and thnk i have dumped twice, the first time was a piece of fish from the fish and chip shop, , i took all the batter of and binned it and justbate the white flesh ( something i was told was ok as the fish steams within the batter so is ok for you). I just felt really awful, sick and tired , the need to lie down was overwheling and i slept for about 40 mins and woke feelling ok. The 2nd time was on an Atkins protien bar which was higher in sugar than anything i have had previously, once more felt terrible and "out of it"' i gor terrible tummy craps and spent 1/2 in the loo and once empty flet better. I have never tested food , just been lucky/unlucky (depending on your point of view) I guess. I am glad i have reacted to food , i had no intention of testing myself as wanted the fear of dumping to keep me on the straight and narrow , which is now does. I am a happy dumper .

my dumping is serve pain to the left hand side of my stomach also stomach spasm, feelings of dizziness, fainting, urgency to empty the bowels. sometimes depending on stress levels needing to go again straight after this can last a few hours even if nothing left as i'm still having stomach spasms. x

Hi Shelbel
Thanks for confirming what I suspected. Strangly if I eat Ambros low fat rice pudding, that has no dumping effect, its all seems to a fast learning curve post-op finding out what you can and can't tolerate. thank goodness for all the members of this forum for sharing all there experiances and the advice. It is a real comfort knowing your all out there for newbys like me!!!! thanks
stavros

my dumping is serve pain to the left hand side of my stomach also stomach spasm, feelings of dizziness, fainting, urgency to empty the bowels. sometimes depending on stress levels needing to go again straight after this can last a few hours even if nothing left as i'm still having stomach spasms. x

My niece suffers from IBS & has the same symptoms as you, Amy & also has panic attacks if she thinks she is not going to be able to get to a toilet ... she has had it since she was 16 poor baby :( Hope things improve for you post op, sweets xxx :wave_cry:

I have lots of experience of both dumping and hypoglycaemic episodes, and while similar it's easy for me to tell the difference. I'm not diabetic but developed reactive hypoglycaemia as a post-bypass side effect. This causes completely random hypos which resolve with glucogel, dextrose or lots of chocolate!

For me dumping is worse, I feel hot and flustered, nauseous and light headed, and can only resolve it properly by sleeping it off. I dump on sugars, and refined carbs. My tolerance for these has increased as the years have passed but I still have to be careful. I have to push the limits though due to the chronic malabsorption I also developed post op to try and get higher calories in. Fat doesn't affect me at all luckily.

Thank you very much for this post, very interesting.

I am having trouble with malabsorption (according to my bariatric team :confused:) and I am due to see my team next week as they think I would benefit from a "stretch".

When did you find out for definate you had this problem and what were your symptoms? (I hope you dont mind me asking?)

I am 20 weeks post-op tomorrow (wow that has gone fast!) and struggle daily to get my food intake in (but I persevere and do achieve it) and have been advised by my team to introduce higher fats to my diet to help getting in more calories but as I said in my first post, this is not an option :( I am hoping that a stretch will help and I am not just malabsorbing the foods I am getting in.

My niece suffers from IBS & has the same symptoms as you, Amy & also has panic attacks if she thinks she is not going to be able to get to a toilet ... she has had it since she was 16 poor baby :( Hope things improve for you post op, sweets xxx :wave_cry:
i also have panic / anxiety attacks, i do honeslty think they are are related to each other. I had IBS when i was a child then it just went and come back in my teens.
Thanks thats very sweet of you xxx

Tiggerific said:
Thank you very much for this post, very interesting.

I am having trouble with malabsorption (according to my bariatric team :confused:) and I am due to see my team next week as they think I would benefit from a "stretch".

When did you find out for definate you had this problem and what were your symptoms? (I hope you dont mind me asking?)

I am 20 weeks post-op tomorrow (wow that has gone fast!) and struggle daily to get my food intake in (but I persevere and do achieve it) and have been advised by my team to introduce higher fats to my diet to help getting in more calories but as I said in my first post, this is not an option :( I am hoping that a stretch will help and I am not just malabsorbing the foods I am getting in.

Not till about 20 months post op. I fell pregnant at 8 months post op, a month later I reached target. People with chronic malabsorption tend to reach target quickly and with no stalls. Over the pregnancy I carried on losing weight, despite increasing my calories by firstly the recommended amount and then gradually more and more. After Charlie was born I carried on losing despite really upping the calories and including high calorie prescription drinks. That was when my team decided it was chronic malabsorption. If I hadn't of been pregnant I probably would have found out a lot sooner. Plus the team at the hospital I had surgery at were useless, they just kept telling me to have an extra milky drink! I transferred to a more local one during my pregnancy and they were great. I now aim for 3000-4000 cals per day! I've finally got maintaining sussed, but only over the last 4/6 months.

I can't imagine trying to combat the malabsorption while restricting fat, that's going to be a massive learning curve for you. I imagine the prescription drinks will be the way forward. Maybe the stretch will be enough.

Good luck getting it sorted x

Amy I suffered from IBS pre-op but now post-op I only get the cramps etc if I dump. Otherwise the only other time was two weeks ago while visiting my eldest currently being treated for depression & delusions at a mental unit near his Uni, we had visited him on the Saturday afternoon & he was having a bad day & my stress levels went up by Sunday just before we went to visit him again I could hardly eat as my stomach was in knots, that afternoon he was really bad so tea hardly happened by evening visiting they had given him some stronger meds & he was fine it took my stomach a few more days to calm down. No true IBS symptoms persay but definate memories of when I'd be building to an attack when stressed pre-op. When I overdo things & get very tired I get a few somersaults from my tum as well & it's a bit sensitive telling me to slow down.
When I have dumped post op the gurgles & cramps usually within 30 mins of eating said food are exactly like the IBS attacks. Sometimes I dump other times the same or similar foods don't trigger the same reaction so I try to avoid the foods I know but at 18wks post op I am still learning.
Yesterday a tin of sausage & beans triggered a dump, tea didn't seem to help & this morning my tum feels very sensitive.

Amy I suffered from IBS pre-op but now post-op I only get the cramps etc if I dump. Otherwise the only other time was two weeks ago while visiting my eldest currently being treated for depression & delusions at a mental unit near his Uni, we had visited him on the Saturday afternoon & he was having a bad day & my stress levels went up by Sunday just before we went to visit him again I could hardly eat as my stomach was in knots, that afternoon he was really bad so tea hardly happened by evening visiting they had given him some stronger meds & he was fine it took my stomach a few more days to calm down. No true IBS symptoms persay but definate memories of when I'd be building to an attack when stressed pre-op. When I overdo things & get very tired I get a few somersaults from my tum as well & it's a bit sensitive telling me to slow down.
When I have dumped post op the gurgles & cramps usually within 30 mins of eating said food are exactly like the IBS attacks. Sometimes I dump other times the same or similar foods don't trigger the same reaction so I try to avoid the foods I know but at 18wks post op I am still learning.
Yesterday a tin of sausage & beans triggered a dump, tea didn't seem to help & this morning my tum feels very sensitive.

Aw Penelope my love ... I sincerely hope your son gets his meds right soon & gets back to his studies asap. I am sending you both all my love & good wishes for his return to good health & you to a stress free life xxx :wave_cry:

I've got chronic inertia and IBS and have a stoma in place to manage my symptoms. It was initially doubtful if I'd be able to have a bypass (which I'm now having in Jan) as they thought it may make me worse but after the multi disciplinary team met, decided it's a risk worth taking.
I'm a little anxious to see how I am post op but it if I can manage what I have now I'll hopefully be OK!!
XX

Not till about 20 months post op. I fell pregnant at 8 months post op, a month later I reached target. People with chronic malabsorption tend to reach target quickly and with no stalls. Over the pregnancy I carried on losing weight, despite increasing my calories by firstly the recommended amount and then gradually more and more. After Charlie was born I carried on losing despite really upping the calories and including high calorie prescription drinks. That was when my team decided it was chronic malabsorption. If I hadn't of been pregnant I probably would have found out a lot sooner. Plus the team at the hospital I had surgery at were useless, they just kept telling me to have an extra milky drink! I transferred to a more local one during my pregnancy and they were great. I now aim for 3000-4000 cals per day! I've finally got maintaining sussed, but only over the last 4/6 months.

I can't imagine trying to combat the malabsorption while restricting fat, that's going to be a massive learning curve for you. I imagine the prescription drinks will be the way forward. Maybe the stretch will be enough.

Good luck getting it sorted x

I honestly dont think I have malabsorption at all, I think I just have too much restriction. I am not losing weight rapidly as this would suggest and my bariatric team sound just like yours (not very good lol)

I will see what they say next week at my appointment.

Thank you for sharing your journey with me, it has been really helpful x

I have to admit I've never heard of anyone being diagnosed with chronic malabsorption so early post op, it's nomally around 10-12 months.

It is fairly common though to have adhesions around the stoma outlet and need a stretch, which if left can cause malnutrition, maybe that's what they meant?

Twinkle twinkle many thanks for your support, thankfully the antidepressant dose seems to be sorted no more delusions & deep lows since that one, he's on a weeks leave from the ward & back at his shared house before hopefully being discharged on Monday but with outpatient treatment & the crisis team on hand as well. With luck he can pick up his part time job before christmas & return to a reduced timetable through mitigating circumstances for the remainder of the year in January taking the remaining g units from this final year into a new final year on the same reduced timetable. It should have been a 4 yr sandwich course that changed to a 3yr course when none of his class got a 1yr internship for this year due to the downturn in the worlds economy otherwise he could have been in Washington USA or Japan this year but because of the original course layout they have the flexibility & funding to reduce 6 modules in one year to 3 each year for this & next without any real difficulty. So we hope he can cope when he goes back & he can finish his degree. All this from 2 anti-depressants that he reacted badly to causing all this. 5wks on he's just beginning to rebuild his life thank god he got help & didn't carry out the delusions it triggered or kill himself rather than carry out the delusions as he was on the point of before he managed to get enough control to get help. I doubt I will stop worrying for a while yet if ever but hopefully with luck I can relax a bit & reduce the stress levels soon.

Twinkle twinkle many thanks for your support, thankfully the antidepressant dose seems to be sorted no more delusions & deep lows since that one, he's on a weeks leave from the ward & back at his shared house before hopefully being discharged on Monday but with outpatient treatment & the crisis team on hand as well. With luck he can pick up his part time job before christmas & return to a reduced timetable through mitigating circumstances for the remainder of the year in January taking the remaining g units from this final year into a new final year on the same reduced timetable. It should have been a 4 yr sandwich course that changed to a 3yr course when none of his class got a 1yr internship for this year due to the downturn in the worlds economy otherwise he could have been in Washington USA or Japan this year but because of the original course layout they have the flexibility & funding to reduce 6 modules in one year to 3 each year for this & next without any real difficulty. So we hope he can cope when he goes back & he can finish his degree. All this from 2 anti-depressants that he reacted badly to causing all this. 5wks on he's just beginning to rebuild his life thank god he got help & didn't carry out the delusions it triggered or kill himself rather than carry out the delusions as he was on the point of before he managed to get enough control to get help. I doubt I will stop worrying for a while yet if ever but hopefully with luck I can relax a bit & reduce the stress levels soon.

You are most welcome, Penelope ... I have a 23yr old son who finished Uni this summer so your post struck a chord in my heart. So many students suffer from depression & sometimes medication can make things worse as in your sons case .. thank goodness he was in the UK & not abroad :( Here's hoping he does not look back & goes on to complete his degree successfully xxx

I've got chronic inertia and IBS and have a stoma in place to manage my symptoms. It was initially doubtful if I'd be able to have a bypass (which I'm now having in Jan) as they thought it may make me worse but after the multi disciplinary team met, decided it's a risk worth taking.
I'm a little anxious to see how I am post op but it if I can manage what I have now I'll hopefully be OK!!
XX

All the very best of luck for January, Louise ... hope it helps with your complicated condition xxx :)

I have dumped 3 times now first was just a couple of days post op with porridge just don't think I pureed enuf, went hot and sweaty and diarrhoea, the second was off eating too much fat and I fell asleep for two hours and the third was off sugar free sweets again hot sweaty and abdominal pain.

Back