• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Whats the best way to use protien powder???????

Salliebeth

HI, wondered if anyone can help.........I am 1 week post sleeve, and have to do 4 weeks fluid diet before moving on to purée food. I have been told I can have tinned soups/home made as long as I add protein powder. I used some last night in a hot chocolate drink as I was a bit behind with soups/shakes, I used some this morning in a very thin ready break, and I have just used some in a squeezy soup, but each time I use it it goes into small blobs!!!
I have added it to the hot chocolate at the end once I had made the drink, I added it to the ready break powder, then added the milk, and I have just mixed it with water prior to adding it to the soup, but each time I end up with blobs!!! I got it from a really lovely independent health food shop, but there doesn't seem to be any instructions on the packet as the best way to use it, it just says add to yogurts/soups!!! Any help out there would be great fully received!!!! Xxxx

Hi sallie, Is your op on the nhs? Hope you dont mind me asking......how long did you have to wait? Thanks Sue x

Hi Sue, I had my sleeve done on the NHS, after years of being over weight and failed diets and diet pills ect. I have a bit of a long story, but originally went for my first dietician appointment in April 2009, but I held back 1) due to being so scared and 2) was poorly with a blood clot on the lung. But from being put on the waiting list I was told it would be within 18 weeks, I originally had a surgery date for 25 the nov 13, but that got cancelled (not due to me!) I was then rescheduled for 3rd jan 2014. I was done at Leicester Royal infirmary by mr sutton and have had a very positive experience!!! Hope that helps!!! Feel free to ask anything........ I am no expert but can answer from personal experience. Xxx

Thanks for replying, i knowim very early stages but i think its the only way for me, im 42 and struggled all my life, like so many of us, im at my heaviest now and got constant back pains etc etc...... From when you went to your gp the first time to enquire how long did it take to hear wether you would get funding? And what did you have to do? Thanks for your time x

Thanks for replyying, how long from when you went to see gp did it take to hear bout funding? What did you have to do? Thanks for your time xx

Do you have a blender you could whiz it up in? The only time I use it I use the flavoured stuff to make a milkshake, but no amount of whisking gets it to mix the way that 5 seconds in my blender does!

Do you have a blender you could whiz it up in? The only time I use it I use the flavoured stuff to make a milkshake, but no amount of whisking gets it to mix the way that 5 seconds in my blender does!

Thanks Sarah, I did try using the old hand blender (it's not much good at the best of times!!) but hubby has bought a new ken wood one - I will get it out the box and give it a try!!! Thanks xx

Thanks for replyying, how long from when you went to see gp did it take to hear bout funding? What did you have to do? Thanks for your time xx

Hi, I didn't know the process of gaining funding ect........ I just went to the GP he referred me to the hospital to see a dietician, who it saw several times, I then turned up for what I thought was another dietician appointment, but went into a room with the dietician, nurse a nutritionalist and the surgeon, it was at that appointment in August 2013 that the surgeon said he would put me on the list for surgery! I thought the waiting list was 12 - 18 months, and was gob smacked when I asked how long the waiting list was, and he said 18 weeks!!!!
I suppose looking back I was a bit 'blind' as to the whole process, but I think this was proberrbly good for me!!!! Xxxx

Whereabouts are you in the process??? Xx

Not sure this would even help but with milkshakes, you could try mixing the powder with a sugar free syrup first and then mix it in with the milk. That way it'd be high protein as well as amazing concoctions like white chocolate and strawberry or peach melba or cookies and cream...can't you tell I have nothing other to do than look up milkshake recipes haha :D

Not sure this would even help but with milkshakes, you could try mixing the powder with a sugar free syrup first and then mix it in with the milk. That way it'd be high protein as well as amazing concoctions like white chocolate and strawberry or peach melba or cookies and cream...can't you tell I have nothing other to do than look up milkshake recipes haha :D

The syrups are ace. They're getting me through the milk diet without killing anyone!!
Toasted marshmallow latte anyone? ;-P

I put mine in 200mls of milk with one or two weight watchers Greek style yogurts and blitz them. Then have half for morning snack and half for afternoon snack. Can't use with warm fluids as always goes clumpy!

I put mine in 200mls of milk with one or two weight watchers Greek style yogurts and blitz them. Then have half for morning snack and half for afternoon snack. Can't use with warm fluids as always goes clumpy!
Good idea

I was thinking once I'm bypassed of adding a teaspoon of ground almonds or coconut to a fage Greek yog with some sf syrup. Not sure if it's ok or not.
I looked at the ww Greek style yogs and they seem to have lots of sugar. Does adding them to milk etc make them okay?

Soup

I put a spoonful in a little cold milk make it to a paste then thinner (bit like making gravy) then I add the small amount of milk into the microwave to warm it - then I stir I to my soup etc (obviously this is just for hot food) x if I don't it this way it ends up like plastic !!

Bariatric megastore. Com
They have SF sweets too as well as protein rich bars and foods.

Thank you!! I think I'll be on this site ALL night (except Sherlock obviously haha)

Good idea I was thinking once I'm bypassed of adding a teaspoon of ground almonds or coconut to a fage Greek yog with some sf syrup. Not sure if it's ok or not. I looked at the ww Greek style yogs and they seem to have lots of sugar. Does adding them to milk etc make them okay?[/QUOTE

My lemon ones have been fine maybe as they are diluted. I'm a sleeve so dumping not such a problem. Your idea sounds good. X

Got the new kenwood blender out , and what a difference it has made to my soup with my protein powder!!!! Just a quick whizz, and no blobs!!!! Warmed it up once powder added and blitzed!!!! Thanks Sarah xxx

Bariatric megastore. Com
They have SF sweets too as well as protein rich bars and foods.

Thankyou! I've just ordered the marshmallow one and the peanut butter one - I thought that one would be nice with my banana protein powder. Can't wait for them to arrive now!:D

Back