• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Which procedure is best

Traceyjane1530

I have a BMI of 34 and am considering a sleeve as my research to date seems to indicate that the Gastric band is not always successful and may not enable me to lose all my weight. I want to lose about 55 pounds. Can anyone advise. Also am tempted to go abroad but would only do so where there is a recommendation.
Please advise.
many thanks

Hospitals only really like to do bands on people with a BMI under 40, I had the band on 5th January 2014, and I have lost 34lbs already, many have lost more. I think if you want to only lose 55 pounds a band would be best. The band is successful if you work with it, when it goes wrong it is usually with people who do not follow the plan and over eat and cause complications like slippage. Try the hospital group, they seem quite reasonable in price, I cannot fault them.

Make an appointment with a few providers, and talk through your options. It depends very much on you, what you eat, what kind of foods you eat, how much you eat and your weight loss/gain history. I wouldn't choose a surgery based on cost or results let a surgeon choose what's right for you. I don't eat sugary foods or chocolate. I was a volume savory eater. OMG Greggs hahaha!!! They suggested a band to me as dry/textured foods work well with the band. To be fair they were right and I have been thrilled with mine. Its also a far less evasive surgery I was at home at 630 on the night of my op.
All WLS only work if you work with them. Its more of a head battle than anything else.
See some providers in the UK my consultation with THG was free anyway. Lots of people on here have had surgery abroad and have been happy. I wanted to be able to get to my provider quick and fast if I had any problems. Also I have fills and dietician appointments so wanted to stay close to home.

Good luck with whatever you decide xx

I started with a BMI of 33/34 and now have gotten down to a BMI of 27 in 4 months, just about 45 lbs down. I didn't do the surgery but instead got a 12-month balloon inserted. I'm petrified of surgery/scars/stitches so chose the balloon instead of the band. I am very happy with my choice and wouldn't change it for the world. I have about 20 more lbs to hit goal. Might be worth researching. Best of luck.

It really is about what is the best one for you, your eating habits, history and general personal circumstances, nobody can really say which is the best option for you because we don't know that history or that background.

Research as much as you can, speak to different providers and find one you're happy with. I didn't like THG what so ever and went with healthier weight. And despite having band issues which is being investigated there's ups and downs with all types of weight loss surgeries.

The band isn't an easy option, takes lots of willpower but its a great tool to help you lose weight.

There are many providers who will put a band in place for people who have high BMI's so it isn't that you have to be under a certain level to have one or that you can have a too high BMI not to have a band.

My own was 54 when I had my band put in place, I've now lost just over 11 stone at the 18 month post op mark :) I also know several other people via HW whose BMI's were in excess of 50 who have also had bands.

But it maybe with your BMI level that certain types of surgery may be more appropriate too :)

So its finding what works for you and which is the best for you, research lots :)

Last edited:
As tk suggested...do plenty of research ... Most of us will base our comments on our personal experiences. A lot of people consider the band to be a poor relative in the wls family :rolleyes: but i love it! I had my band fitted over 2 1/2 years ago and got to my target in less than 9 months and have been maintaining successfully at c 9 1/2 stones ... over 11 stones less than I was at my heaviest, since. I personally have only good things to say about THG, and my experience with them, but as with all providers, I am sure you will read good and bad. Again, eating habits is a difficult one, as I was a culprit of anything and everything ... Volume/sweet etc ... Thank goodness I don't like alcohol much, or I would have had a full house :eek: my scarring is practically impossible to see and I don't have much spare skin at all ... but again, people can suffer from keloid scarring and lots of uncomfortable, excess skin. Nothing is guaranteed with any wls, but you can be a key driver in its success ... A positive attitude, desire to take control and change behaviours is essential :) good luck with whichever route you take x

Neisie

You sound like me I have a bmi of 33.5 my surgeon suggests the sleeve, I was all geared up but then people keep telling me I should do it myself ! I need to shift about 5 stone

I have a BMI of 34 and am considering a sleeve as my research to date seems to indicate that the Gastric band is not always successful and may not enable me to lose all my weight. I want to lose about 55 pounds. Can anyone advise. Also am tempted to go abroad but would only do so where there is a recommendation.
Please advise.
many thanks
I too had a BMI similar to yours and only 70/80 lbs to loose. Chose the sleeve as I wanted to keep this quiet and did not want to keep going for fills etc. I enjoyed too much wine and too much savoury food, could do without chocolate and crisps. I always ate whatever was on my plate, no problem and had spent far too many years yo-yo dieting, just wanting to lose weight and maintain. I am really happy with my decision and do not regret it at all. I had no problems and now am easily adjusting to my new eating habits, weight is coming off slowly around 1 to 2 lbs a week, which is fine by me. Read everything and good luck with your decision.

Thank you for your response

Do you completely avoid alcohol now ?
Did you lose weight quicker initially ? I thought that it would come off pretty quick to begin with? X

Neisie You sound like me I have a bmi of 33.5 my surgeon suggests the sleeve, I was all geared up but then people keep telling me I should do it myself ! I need to shift about 5 stone

Personally, I did the balloon because it was right for me. I hate stitches, I'm petrified of them. I didn't want scars. I was oscillating between doing it myself and getting help. I found the balloon to be right in the middle. My doc said today that my BMI is 27 and "only lose a few more kilos." I would like to lose a total of 5 stones as well. I no longer look nor feel fat. I probably could've done this on my own, I'd done it before, but I felt that I was fighting a losing battle. I am happy I chose the balloon and I'm proud of myself and my size 14's :) Good luck on your journey!

Last edited:
I was banded ten years ago and it was great to begin with .. Lost most of my weight in first year and maintained nicely ...

Then 5 years in my band slipped ... Nothing to so with over eating etc as I had it completely emptied due to dilated oesophagus ...

My band is also stitched so in lucky it hasn't been an emergency to get it removes..

If I had my time over I think I would definitely have had the sleeve or bypass as in the long run my band failed me... I never over ate or "caused" my band to slip .. It's a well documented complication along side erosion ...

ALL WLS has possible complications so you need to do as much research as you can ... And above all you must be brutally honest about your eating habits when speaking to your provider...

Good luck with whatever you choose xx

there is also the plication / wrap. Not advised for really high BMI (mine was 45 though). Reduces stomach size, but without cutting a load of it away. I opted for this due to the low risk factor and swift recovery times.

I now only ever eat from a side plate - similar volume to my 5yo.

I have really good restriction, but can tolerate anything and dont get dumping. I am very careful though and dont eat pasta / bread. Potatoes VERY rarely. Only because I like all those things too much !

You need to research and work out what is best for you. Good luck !

Thank you for your response

Do you completely avoid alcohol now ?
Did you lose weight quicker initially ? I thought that it would come off pretty quick to begin with? X
Go out to dinner a couple of times each week and allow myself a small glass of wine. Order a wine and a glass of water and sip on both before I eat, but stop at that point and do not drink after eating. It's enough for me and I enjoy it, you have to live after all.

I too had a BMI similar to yours and only 70/80 lbs to loose. Chose the sleeve as I wanted to keep this quiet and did not want to keep going for fills etc. I enjoyed too much wine and too much savoury food, could do without chocolate and crisps. I always ate whatever was on my plate, no problem and had spent far too many years yo-yo dieting, just wanting to lose weight and maintain. I am really happy with my decision and do not regret it at all. I had no problems and now am easily adjusting to my new eating habits, weight is coming off slowly around 1 to 2 lbs a week, which is fine by me. Read everything and good luck with your decision.

This sounds so like me...I could have written that post too! I have decided on the sleeve following a free consultation with THG and was advised to go for the sleeve. I didn't fancy the idea of having a foreign object inside of me (ie a band). My BMI 39 and have type 1 diabetes so I fitted the criteria for a sleeve. :)

Thanks so much for all your responses. I saw the surgeon today - does anyone have any experience with Ameet Patel at the Princess Grace ?

I went for the band and haven't regretted it at all. I like the idea that it's reversible, and I didn't want one of the more drastic and invasive procedures, plus my BMI was "only" 34.6 to start with. I've set myself a target of 5 stones to lose, but around 4 would be fine (all quite similar to you in fact!).

I did have to get past the thought of the band inside me, but actually I've found it's not a problem in any way. For example, I went spinning tonight, which I love.

My weight loss is slow, but that was always my plan, I like wine too much!

Good luck with whatever you decide, but research research, research!

It's not about what's best, but about what is best for YOU. :)

Last edited:
I went for the band and haven't regretted it at all. I like the idea that it's reversible, and I didn't want one of the more drastic and invasive procedures, plus my BMI was "only" 34.6 to start with. I've set myself a target of 5 stones to lose, but around 4 would be fine (all quite similar to you in fact!). I did have to get past the thought of the band inside me, but actually I've found it's not a problem in any way. For example, I went spinning tonight, which I love. My weight loss is slow, but that was always my plan, I like wine too much! Good luck with whatever you decide, but research research, research! It's not about what's best, but about what is best for YOU. :)

You are so right to say research research research .... I thought I had done enough of it when I had my band in 2004 .... Sadly not....

My starting BMI was 48 and I think that ten years on If I had the choice to make again I would have chosen differently....

I chose the band for the exact same reasons as you... Less invasive was the main one.... But with my BMI at 48 I think the sleeve or bypass would have suited me better... Especially with my sweet tooth that I wasn't completely honest about...

I think that's defo something you need to be brutally honest about... Your eating habits .... I wasn't and I did struggle at the start of my banding because of that.

Have to say it was a great tool when it was in working order but now it's broken and has got to be removed and revised to sleeve/ bypass....

So even though the band is reversible I think it was the wrong option for me....

So research research research is a great mantra bander girl Xxxxxxxx

The way forward

Please advise.
many thanks

I've got a friend that was banded two years ago, and had over thirteen stone to lose. My daughter had nine stone to lose and had bypass. I wanted bypass and the consultant was talking about a sleeve. You have to do your research, long and hard. And then, still listen to the consultant, but don't be afraid to question. What is right for one person, may not be right for another.

Back