• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric balloon or band and where?

Goslim

Hi I've never posted on a forum before so hope I am in the right section! I have a bmi of 34 and i am 5 stone overweight and need to lose it. I've pcos so manage to do great on a diet and lose approx 2.5 stone then put it back on - quickly!

I've decided on gastric surgery but can't decide on two things. Where to have it and which type, band or balloon? Any advise would be great... I've looked on Europe surgery with Dr Chris De Bryune but he only does bands. A balloon may be better as I plan to have children when I lose my stones!!!! All seems very confusing! Any help would be great! :)

Hello and welcome Goslim,
my advise as always is do shed loads of research find the threads on here or the FAQ section on here , see if your PCT have a website about weight loss operations , go on youbtube for other people's thoughts im sure othet places and sugeons have been mentioned on here also.
I wish you loads of luck

My surgeon said that a baloon was just another crash diet - a band is a better option in my opinion and is ultimately reversible if you decided to have it removed

There are a few girls on here with a band who have conceived when they list weight. Hopefully they will pop along to give you the benefit of their experience

Good luck xxx

Welcome Goslim!
Just wanted to say hi. There are a load of resources here and tons of wisdom. I am new to the forum and am in v early stages so can't help but I will keep my fingers crossed that you find the answers you need.
Enjoy! Good luck

Meg x

Hi and welcome...
I considered lots of options including the balloon but the way I saw it was that after 6 months, once it was removed, I would be straight back binge eating but I would still be thousands of pounds out of pocket. I looked at the band but chose a sleeve in the end, just because its permenant, no going back at all.
Its a personal choice which ever you go for...good luck

Hi I've never posted on a forum before so hope I am in the right section! I have a bmi of 34 and i am 5 stone overweight and need to lose it. I've pcos so manage to do great on a diet and lose approx 2.5 stone then put it back on - quickly!

I've decided on gastric surgery but can't decide on two things. Where to have it and which type, band or balloon? Any advise would be great... I've looked on Europe surgery with Dr Chris De Bryune but he only does bands. A balloon may be better as I plan to have children when I lose my stones!!!! All seems very confusing! Any help would be great! :)

Dr Chris de Bruyne does not only do bands, I had a gastric bypass with him in March and there are are several other people on here who have had different procedures with him (look at Belgium Surgery Services). I know nothing about the balloon but it seem a temporary solution that is often used as a preliminary option before later surgery.

Lynn x

Thanks guys... I researched so much I could barely sleep last night. Half excited half fed up! I think I have decided on a band in Belgium with Dr Chris De Bruyne. I suppose the pregnancy thing is a worry as it's recommended to wait 18 months. I would like the band fitted then have a baby 6 months later. This forum is great, wish I knew how to use it a little better though ! Thanks for all the support and kind encouragement!

Thanks for all the information. This site seems full of info, just a bit tricky to navigate! I think the band is for me. Would like to join the sub group ' pregnancy and bands' as I want to get pregnant at Christmas. 6 months after my band op.

Guidelines are there for a reason, I had a band with pcos lost eight stone conceived twice in quick succession. My band slipped constant vomiting contributed but wasn't the only cause of this and I converted to bypass early this year. HOWEVER people have bands and babies all the time. I would recommend the sleeve or mgb with Dr Chris personally just from my own experience with the band a pregnancy but research research research!

Back