• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why no fizzy drinks after band

Status
Not open for further replies.

loughpet

Hi All,

Can someone tell me what the reasoning behind not being allowed fizzy drinks after the band surgery .

Thanks

Hello

I was told this is because it corrodes the band and also causes gases in the pouch and swelling. HTH

All the best - MeJulie x x

Hi there

It cannot corrode the band as the band is on the outside of stomach, so don't worry about that side of things.

Basically fizzy drinks are full of gas, this gas can be uncomfortable in the samll pouch created by the band at the top of the stomach.

I drink diet coke now and then, and have done on and off post op but I make sure that I add ice as this knocks out the fizz quite a bit. I would suggest not to try it until a little while post op until everything settles down.

There are a few girlies and gents on the forum who drink diet coke and have come to no harm at all.

Just follow the no drinking within half hour either side of a meal and you should be ok. Just give it a few months to be cautious.

We were told at Whittington hospital educational session not to drink fizzy drinks including diet coke ever again after any of the ops as it can make any of the pouches bigger due to the fizz even if you allow it to go flat was anybody else told this who was at Whittington hospital?

I was told by my provider to avoid fizzy drinks because of the gas... However i do know some post oppers who 'beat the fizz' out of it! Me personally i'll give it a miss, i quite enjoy the wide range of cordials you can get now :) x

Diet coke is going to be the one thing i miss,as i like it better than anything but i will give it up and stay off it as one glass would lead to another!!!!

The ladies at The Whittington Hospital basically said giving up carbonated drinks was the price of admission to surgery.

Those of you who have been told "no fizzy drinks" but want to drink them post-op please do me a massive favour and tell your surgeon that you're not going ahead. No point in wasting my taxes in having an operation you're going to screw up and aren't mentally prepared for.

Regards, Ade.

when its full of gas in some patients it swells the pouch, i didnt drink it for the 1st year, but discovered i can tollerate coke with ice as the ice kills some of the bubbles, but please follow the advice of your providor x

The ladies at The Whittington Hospital basically said giving up carbonated drinks was the price of admission to surgery.

Those of you who have been told "no fizzy drinks" but want to drink them post-op please do me a massive favour and tell your surgeon that you're not going ahead. No point in wasting my taxes in having an operation you're going to screw up and aren't mentally prepared for.

Regards, Ade.

LOL Ade your attitude stinks she was asking a question thats all, what 1 can tollerate another may not, im sure you will not make any mistakes or have any questions tho when your done eh ?? thats the point of this site so people can ask questions there unsure about. :eek:

I was a bit taken aback by Ade's comment so I agree with Liz! I've not been told about avoiding fizzy drinks so was pleased to read this thread as I drink a lot of lemonade. DIET lemonade too. I'd also like to point out that I do pay taxes too ;-)

I was a bit taken aback by Ade's comment so I agree with Liz! I've not been told about avoiding fizzy drinks so was pleased to read this thread as I drink a lot of lemonade. DIET lemonade too. I'd also like to point out that I do pay taxes too ;-)

Hi Jacci they will advise you its not a good idea but i can with the band if i put lotts of ice in, i also know a few bypassers that can as well its trial and error learning what we can and cant tollerate x

I've learnt a lot on this forum especially that a lot of things are trial & error afta your op. If I'm told to avoid anything I will 'cos knowing my luck I'll be ill.

LOL Ade your attitude stinks she was asking a question thats all

I'm not here to sugar-coat things.

The Whittington Hospital explains exactly why carbonated drinks are not allowed post surgery. I'm not sure someone that proudly proclaims "two bands and now due a bypass" should be judging the comments of the healthcare professionals giving out details on what not to to post surgery because it can effect the outcome.

WLS isn't a bargaining tool. It's not "maybe if I shake the bottle, it'll be okay to have a big mouthful of this prohibited substance" in the same way a recovering drug addict can't get away with "just a little bit" of cocaine.

I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever to those that ignore their healthcare professionals. There are plenty of people out there desparate to have WLS that are prepared to accept the life changing ramifications (positive and negative) of their decision. If you're trying to justify why it's okay to ignore their advice, you're simply not ready so don't waste my money and let someone who is ready have the operation instead.

Regards, Ade.

I'm not here to sugar-coat things.

"two bands and now due a bypass" should be judging the comments of the healthcare professionals giving out details on what not to to post surgery because it can effect the outcome.

you know nothing about me Ade or why ive had 2bands u saddo, and the plastic surgeon damaged my bands it was through nothing i did wrong, you seem to just presume about people, your not a nice person ade we had ppl like you on here before that judge and presume things about others, get a life eh !

That's super, thanks for that. Now, care to explain why you know better than the health care professionals?

Regards, Ade.

go away Ade when you get to know me a little better you will understand, i aint talking to you again.

So many different providers give differing advice...this is the trouble with a public forum, everyone thinks they know best.

My surgeon said to me that it would be okay to have as long as I put ice in it to kill the bubbles and leave it a few months after surgery before trying it.

I asked him about it as I had a wedding and wanted to know if I could enjoy a little champagne to toast with.

Also Liz has had 2 bands from no fault of her own and has been an exeptional bander, with extremely valuable advice and knowledge.

She is only having a bypass after the two bands the NHS fitted have failed and this other than no WLS tool whatsoever was her only viable option. She will do brilliantly with her bypass as she has with her bands.

Please find out more about a person before slamming them to the ground, your aggressive approach towards Liz is not nice...sorry.

I have to say that I find the advice & support from Liz invaluable & anyone looking at her photo's will see how well she has done.

This is first time I have read anyone being negative on this forum & I find it disheartening!! I get a lot of people judging me as a fat lass & love this forum for the upbeat, encouraging threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back