• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Word of Warning!!

ChefClay

As a lot of members are aware, I had my pr-op assessment today at Sld Royal.
On being weighed I had put on over half stone since my initial date with the consultant in March. No excuses, I told the nurse I had trouble losing the extra weight.
I was informed by Mr Schroeder's Sec this afternoon, that my op for 16th Sept had been cancelled because of this!
No criticism from me, it is clear right from the beginning that weight loss had to be maintained or this might happen.
I would like to point out a few things to other people going for their pre-op soon:
My weight today is exactly (to the lb!) the same as when I attended the first seminar over 18mths. ago.
I lost half stone leading up to my appointment with Mr Small, but this is the amount I have put back on again. Remember, because of waiting lists, my appointment was prolonged another 26 weeks. This being another period I had to keep weight off!
At the hospital today, when the nurse weighed me she noted down the amount. I told her that the digital display had not settled, she just laughed it off. This amount was 1.5K, a significant amount it now transpires!
I made no excuses to Mr Schroeder's Sec, but I did point out that I was not happy that the op was cancelled for the amount of weight involved and that I disputed it anyway. To be fair, they did offer to re-arrange a post-op assessment, but the 16th would still remain cancelled!!
I requested to see the consultant instead, I was told it would be approx. 2 weeks.
I will then try and resolve the situation with him.

I know there will no sympathy about this and I certainly do not want any. It is down to me at the end of the day and I failed to maintain that half stone weight loss plus. It is now for me to sort out.

Just please note the importance of this weight gain and the relevance of not being weighed correctly at the hospital. Make a point of noting the weight yourself when the display has settled.
Bear in mind that even though I had not put on 1 lb extra weight since my initial seminar weigh-in, this was not acceptable!

The way this hospital op was cancelled prior to me being able to give an explanation & discuss it with the consultant, reeks of a hurried decision and a prime chance to reduce the waiting list.
I have not made any complaint, but I will reserve judgement until I have spoken to the consultant. (Bearing in mind I have never even met him yet, though he was quick enough to make this decision!)

Just be on your guard please, I would not like fellow members to endure the disappointment I am feeling today.
At the end of the day, my problem for me to rectify.
Regards - Paul :mad:

Last edited:
Ahhhh paul I am sorry hun.

It is so easy to do tho. I know I was told not to put any weight on. But to be honest at pre op ass the nurse told me that someone had been put back to the begining again for putting weight on.

Chin up mate I hope it all sorts its self out for you

Hugs
Jo
xx

So sorry to hear about this paul. I hope everything gets sorted out for you soon and you have your surgery soon.XX

Oh Paul, that sound so harsh... it's because of our difficulties that we need the operation in the first place... I agree with you that we have to take some responsibility ourselves... but I have three sets of scales, plus the Wii weigh in and the toning tables weigh me and every one is different... so it's a problem!

This is a disappointment since you get yourself mentally ready for surgery and I am sorry.

Hoping that your meeting will bring some positive news and hope it won't be too long a wait for you Paul.

For sure... I will be writing down the weight that they record!

Question ~ from the time of your initial referral from the GP.... does the weight loss start from that weight recorded in the surgery?

Or is the weight loss calculated at the hospital and any weight lost prior to the hospital appointment disregarded?

Thanks for all your support Paul and always here for you xxx

Paul, I know you don't want sympathy....but I want to give you some anyway.

I am absolutely GUTTED for you mate.

I did not know and would not have known, had I not specifically ASKED to attend a seminar (as my appointments with Sunderland were such a screw-up) that this as the case. (ie that re-gain of the lost target weight would result in op being cancelled)

One month before my op, I had regained almost all my weight, and was in a complete panic to get it off again fast.

Let's face it Paul, it's blinkin tough to keep that weight off. That's why we need the surgery in the first place.

I also have to say that I found the pre-op nurse TOTALLY unprofessional in her approach. She was in fact, the nurse from hell!

Just sending big hugs and truly hoping you can have the surgery re-arranged soon. But it isn't good enough. I'm really NOT happy with Sunderland hospital's ways of doing things.

Oh Paul.. I can't begin to imagine how disappointed you must be.

I have to say its sounds completely unfair, the fact that the whole point of us going for these type of operations is because we struggle losing weight, the fact that you haven't actually put on any weight since you first went for a consultation & the fact that you didn't get weighed properly... it all sucks!!

It does sound that there is an alternative motive behind this tho....

I think you should pursue it tho (although it probably wont get you the 16th back tho).

So sorry. xxx

Paul im so sorry and i know you dont want sympathy etc but as Bev says if we were diet Guru's we wudnt be here. Could you attempt to loose the weight before you see the consultant and argue about their scales being accurate etc? anythings worth a go!
jayne x

Thanks for your support, that is what this site is all about.
Your'e a great bunch of people xx

Jayne that is a really good suggestion... I still think it's very harsh... since scales can vary and even the position that you are standing or with what you are wearing... it's going to get sorted for you Paul, but it's just taking that bit longer...
wishing you all the very best and give yourself a boost to diet before you see the Consultant.

Love and hugs coming your way xxx

Had they given you a target of weight to lose? I haven't been told to lose any weight, in fact the nurse said he expects that I will have gained by the time I next see him. But I think that's because I was just under the bmi which gets me automatic funding. Trouble is that I have lost weight and it might cost me the operation. I have my pre-op assessment tomorrow. 2 months ago my bmi was 49.9 i think. According to my scales it is now 45. I have no comorbidities so I would have to apply under exceptional circumstances.

Paul im so sorry and i know you dont want sympathy etc but as Bev says if we were diet Guru's we wudnt be here. Could you attempt to loose the weight before you see the consultant and argue about their scales being accurate etc? anythings worth a go!
jayne x
I was just about to say the same thing..
I am so sorry for you Paul...I hope you get this sorted and your date isn't too delayed...
xxxxxxxxxxxx

1 thing I do not understand regarding weight loss and maintenance of this...surely if we could lose weight and maintain the weight loss we would not need an operation? Im not sure about the process at Salford Royal, but from my initial consultation then my referral for weight loss I lost 3 stone and gained 3 stone (over a period of 6 months - weight loss was with reductil)
Am I misunderstanding something? x

I think its absolutely appalling!! We are having the surgery because we cant control our eating FGS!! I understand that they dont want you to pile on the weight before the op but there seems to be a big difference in adding a few pounds and gaining 3 stone etc.
I really feel for you Paul, we wait so long for this surgery and to have it snatched away at this late stage is cruel in my opinion. Chin up hun, I hope your meeting with the consultant goes well (HUGS) X

Paul you are getting lots of sympathy from me , when i went to my appointment where i had to make the target my scales at home said id lost 14lb but on the digital scales at SRH it was only 9 , i was a bit shocked by it and the nurse told me i didnt have to loose anymore weight but not to put any on , which i have :eek: , i hope you get this resolved ,i would do the same try and get it off before your next appointment ....looks like i best get my bum in gear too xx:sigh:

Ridiculous nurse...if the scales don't settle wait till they do next time and tell the nurse you wish to wait for an accurate reading. Hospital scales are usually fairly robust so sounds like she was grumpy and lacking in patience!

This is going to sound bad but...if you loose for just the two weeks before you go see the consultant you could argue the point as you'll deffo back where you were.

You maintained really well so hopefully you can keep it up for a new date.

i think there being cruel, fromwheni had my appointment before my surgery to the day of my pre op assesment id put on 4 kiloss, they told me to try and lose it before my op which i did but they didnt cancel my op because of it ... i feel really sorry for u hun . were having this op because we have a peoblem with food and yet the penalise you for putting a bit of weight on without having the op .... id bloody complain .

Paul i feel for you, it does sound harsh, but i suppose they have these rules for a reason....

On a brighter note you have 2 weeks to seriously diet and hopefully lose some of that weight! Don't tell the surgeon you've been dieting and bloody complain about the scales and the nurse when questioned. If you've still got a couple of lb too lose then say you've probably gained it through stress....

Harsh dude harsh xx

Hi Paul, sorry to hear your op has been postponed. It's good that you acknowledge your responsibility but i also share your frustration. I too gained and lost a stone (twice !) between my seminar and op date. Its so hard to maintain the loss.
Good advice from the others, lose as much as you can before you see the doc next and fingers crossed he'll give you a new date x x

Paul, I'm so sorry that your op has been cancelled. Let's hope you get a new date soon. I had a delay of over 11 months before I was seen again. They stipulated in the letter that I would not get surgery if I had not maintained (stayed the same or lost) my weight. I have to admit I sweated buckets, but was lucky enough to be 2lB under my booking weight as I had been on the liver reducing diet for a week.

Sending you lots of hugs and supportive vibes.

Rebirth.

Back