• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Work after wls!??

HoPe*87*

Hi all,
I'm just wondering how long it was that people had off work after having wls? I currently work in a mental health hospital and care for people with learning disabilities. I was hoping to have as little time as possible off work as in 2 weeks. Then return to work on night shift for a while (it's quieter and less work on a night) Im getting the sleeve. Do u think there will be much chance of me being ok to go back to work this soon? Xxx

Hiya good luck with your journey I had 3 weeks off work but that was only coz I had my bypass on the 14 th of dec then it was the holidays but my nurse told me they normally recommend 2 weeks but j say go back when u personally feel your ready only u will know how u feel in your self and of couse are sensible about it
Good luck xx

I had the band done .. And I care for elderly and I went back 2 weeks after my op ... But I did to much now I'm on the sick till next week... I would see how you feel xxxx take it easy and take care xx

Hi
Everyones different but definitely no lifting for at least 6 weeks. Im into my 5th week off work tomorrow and wont be going back until the end of jan. My job involves lifting.
Kim

I'm a general nurse & have been advise to have 6 weeks off , not only due to the lifting ( although we have a no lifting policy ) but also due to energy levels as its full on at work .
Bear in mind hun that mentally handicapped people won't understand you are post op & limited to what you can do .
I'd take as much time as you can , you don't want a hernia or anything xx

Thank you everybody!!! I'm just going to see how I feel if up to it il go back if not I won't and if I do go back early il ensure they understand I will only be doing very light duties. All the lasses o work with are great so I know they will help me out. I work for the NHS they don't like people being off sick, I'm already on a warning :( xxxxx

I work for the nhs too & have been made to drop to part time . Luckily my Sister is supportive & didn't bat an eye when I said 6 weeks off , she asked if I wanted to have a staged return . They understand that ultimately my health will improve post op .
Get HR onside if necessary hun xx

pandora said:
I work for the nhs too & have been made to drop to part time . Luckily my Sister is supportive & didn't bat an eye when I said 6 weeks off , she asked if I wanted to have a staged return . They understand that ultimately my health will improve post op .
Get HR onside if necessary hun xx

That's good but why have u been made to go to part time?? I can't take 6 weeks off as I had a while of about 7 weeks march to may 2011, so I have no payed sick leave left I don't think and I can't afford to be off with no pay :( xx

I was part time & then went full time to cover a secondment , there were 2 of us who covered the hours . Once the secondment was finished the girl left , so technically we could go full time permanently . The other girl kept her hours but due to my sick record I had to go back to part time .
I was under the impression you got 6 mths at full pay , then 6 at half pay , I could be wrong it may have changed , worth finding out though x

pandora said:
I was part time & then went full time to cover a secondment , there were 2 of us who covered the hours . Once the secondment was finished the girl left , so technically we could go full time permanently . The other girl kept her hours but due to my sick record I had to go back to part time .
I was under the impression you got 6 mths at full pay , then 6 at half pay , I could be wrong it may have changed , worth finding out though x

When I was last on sick they sent me a letter saying if I had not returned to work by a date ( which was two weeks or so away ) then I would go down to half pay. I want to ring Hr but not sure wot they will think with me ringing to ask how much sick pay I have left lol xx

I'm signed off for six weeks mainly because I work in a secure home for teenage offenders so a lot of my time is spent restraining teenage lads when they're kicking off or defending myself from being assaulted! Didn't fancy a kick in the guts two weeks post-op. Even when I go back I'll be on admin duties for another two weeks before I go back onto the units. I'd say it depends on the work you do, if I was office based I'd be happy to go back now and I'm three weeks post-op. I've worked with kids with learning disabilities previously and that kind of work can be very demanding, you might be in a worse position if you go back too soon and find that it's too much and go off sick again. Does the NHS use the bradford factor?

H xx

Do you know when you are having the op ? Our sick is on a 12 month rolling count , so come may yours will be over 12 mths ago . Or if they measure per financial year , then April is a new year .

We use bradford & was told as this was planned sick its different to every day sickness

Montana said:
I'm signed off for six weeks mainly because I work in a secure home for teenage offenders so a lot of my time is spent restraining teenage lads when they're kicking off or defending myself from being assaulted! Didn't fancy a kick in the guts two weeks post-op. Even when I go back I'll be on admin duties for another two weeks before I go back onto the units. I'd say it depends on the work you do, if I was office based I'd be happy to go back now and I'm three weeks post-op. I've worked with kids with learning disabilities previously and that kind of work can be very demanding, you might be in a worse position if you go back too soon and find that it's too much and go off sick again. Does the NHS use the bradford factor?

H xx

Our jobs sound similar however mine is a secure hospital where people are detained under the mental health act. I'm not sure if we use the Bradford factor, I spoke to my line manager about this op as soon as it was confirmed I would be getting it. I spoke about planned leave etc and to be honest they were no help at all!! I really can't afford to be off if I'm not going to be getting paid. My op is 3rd of Feb I really don't want to delay it just coz of work. Xxx

The nurse when I was discharged told me a week (LOL!!!!).
I went to my docs receptionist and asked for a fit note & without seeing me he wrote one for 4 weeks.
I felt full of beans last week (1wk post op) and really paid the price over the weekend. I've clearly done too much and I'm ill. I slept almost all weekend crying in pain when I woke up.
I'd say don't set yourself any goals for getting back and take each day as it comes. I feel a bit guilty as I've told my manager I'd be 2-3 weeks and I'm now thinking the 4-6 might be a better estimation.
xx

I took a total of 7 weeks, but part of that was Christmas which my department closes for anyway. I would suggest 6 weeks off to be honest..... the tiredness and calorie reduction can be difficult to get used to.... also you have a pureed then soft diet to get used to and at SRH (post sleeve) u don't return to introducing normal food until 6 weeks post op..... hope that helps ;) x x

Hi, I had the band and went back to work 6 days after op (i work in an office). It wasn't the best idea because I was still in pain BUT it did help me take my mind off thinking about it..

Hi everyone

I'm considering surgery and am a tad concerned about sick leave. I'm a nurse and work in the NHS. I havent contacted HR yet but informal enquiries say that I will not get paid leave for this and will have to take annual leave. Have those of you working with the NHS been paid for your sick leave?

Thanks

Back