• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

YES! Got appointment today,BUT

janie71

YES! I was reffered the end of October by my doctor for WLS and received a letter today with an appointment for next month. The letter feels a little dawnting to me or is this a normal letter. It says I have to attend a group session with the Bariatric team in an informal and relaxed atmosphere. Its the word "group" that is getting me a little worried. What does this mean? Other people or just doctors and consultant type people? What will this appointment be about?HELP.

Hi Janie,

Firstly, stop worrying!

There was someone else on here who's first appointment was a group one, can't remember who though sorry. If it's a group one they'll probably get you to fill out some questionnaires, and explain the different procedures for you. It will most likely be a group of people like yourself, not professionals. So everyone will be feeling the same as you, nervous and excited!

Breathe deep,go with the flow, your on your way! Many would swap with you.Enjoy the company of others on the same journey.Best of luck.

Hi Janie

I think it was Gerry who had a group session but maybe wrong. But as you say they could quite easily mean themselves as the group. My first appointment was the consultant and 2 nurses.

Stay positive and you will be fine xx

it could be a group of new patients or as mine was a group of people to see i saw nurse dietician and consultant in my first app but it was very friendly

Hi some do have groups I think its all part of pathway its not a bad thing from what I have heard...you all get given information etc and your details are taken on a one to one basis...xx

thats the 1st time ive heard of that at our hospital, they must of not long started doing it.

think they brought pathway in as so many were being referred direct to the surgeons, they have to follow a strict path (hence the name)...I only know because I read somewhere that they did it at the one of the spire hospitals in hull and everyone had to follow through the route..hope this helps..xx

try not to worry it is a step closer to your dream. the other thing to remember is that everyone there will be at the group session as they too struggle with their weight. no one will be looking or judging anyone just sharing the same weight issues. good luck hun x

Hi janie,

Yes it was me that had to go along to a group session first. I have always had an intense phobia of 'group' meetings for whatever reason before. I think it relates to crowds of people or organised activities of groups of people whom I don't know. Never been able to go to parents meetings or shows at the kids school etc. Very depressing.

Anyway, I took hubby along and went to this group session. What happened was that we all sat in a room looking at an overhead screen whilst the bariatric nurse explained the various proceedures and their success rates, how they were done etc answered any questions and so on. Then we met some patients who'd had the operations before so we could talk to them and ask them questions about how they got on. There were people there who'd had all the various ops with varying degrees of success. It was good to be able to chat to them (both men and women). The only part I didn't like was at the end, the nurse/dietician/psychiatrist grabbed the new patients files one at a time, called out our name, then came over to us and asked which op we would like. It reminded me a bit of a sales meeting for timeshare properties :(. They collected in our questionaire and there was no opportunity to discuss it with them at that point which I was a bit miffed over. We were told we would hear soon with a date to see the consultant. I got my appointment through about a month later. That was much better and I saw him, the dietician and the psychiatrist one after the other, so had chance to talk to each of them.

The group meeting was ok, as it wasn't like they got you to interract, other than if you wanted to ask any questions. There were some people who didn't speak at all. I surprised myself as I actually asked quite a few. It's just a meeting to explain the options, ask questions and register your interest. I'd say go for it. It really is good to talk to others who have had the op in the same place you are thinking of having it.

Hi, so i'm getting my knickers in a twist over nothing(LOL):). I suppose i've got to look forward to the end product. Getting surgery and losing weight. I guess everyone has had to go through something that they have not liked and I will probably have to go through more.:eek: Thanks everyone.

Back