• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

10 weeks OMG! Hairs falling out.

jillyiant

Well I have reached 10 weeks post op and a bit peeved this week as havent done anything different and i have put on 2lb how the hell?:sigh: weight loss for me has been slow but not too worried as Im not expecting miracles overnight, not only that but my hair has started to fall out:(. I have fine hair anyway so very worried, thinking about getting a wig so I can leave my hair alone and not stress it out so much but then it might be worse covering it up from the air, any ideas? I have been told to try regaine by my gp but it says to start you may lose hair before it start to grow again so now I dont know whether to give it ago or not. This is probably the worst side effect of bypass even though I knew it might happen before I had op, I was hoping I would be lucky but NO! Oh well if you have any ideas PLEASE let me know.:cry:

Sorry to hear you stuck but it is normal just alter one little thing to kick start it again but it's your body hanging on to its fat does not want to lose it
As for the hair loss it is a rotten side affect but not everyone is affected
I know I have not been a great help but good luck your doing really well
Mark

Are you eating enough? Are you drinking enough water? I'm sure I've read somewhere, that drinking more helps with (a) not loosing too much hair and (b) it growing back.Sorry but I had to laugh, the ad at the top of the page was for hair restoration when I opened this thread. Not something you'll need, your hair will come back when your body gets used to whats going on.

lol i got the same ad as you for hair restoration lol

A few weeks about my hair was falling out at an alarming rate, I was doing a Bobby Charlton comb over.
For the last 2 weeks I've noticed that I'm not losing that much any more. Make sure you take your vitamins as that will help. Some years ago I used to work in The Body shop and a cancer patient used to swear by The Ice Blue shampoo for encouraging hair growth.
The key ingredient in Ice Blue shampoo is Aloe Vera, this is put in lots of hair care products because it is a natural remedy for hair loss, Aloe Vera helps to encourage your hair to grow and helps to repair damaged hair. :)
Try not to worry, it will start to grow back once your body adjusts to your surgery x

Its that flipin Jason gardiner of strickly on that ad hadnt noticed it before how funny, its like his taking the p**s. Well I will up my fluids if I can I must admit im not very good well only with coffee, have about 3 a day and maybe a tumbler of water. Been taking my tabs for hair and nails since week 2 as well as my vits, was hoping I would be one that hair loss didnt effect but hey ho, plod on and hope for the best. Just keep my eye out for a nice wig. Has anyone tried this regaine? as much as i trust my doctor the instructions and warnings are a bit much.

Poor you, I have lost some hair but I am blessed with thick hair so its not noticible, it now seems to have slowed down to not very much at all, so I think I am hopefully over the worse of it, being a couple of weeks ahead of you.
Hope it gets better soonxxxx

i used to have lovely hair it was probably the only thing i was proud of :( now it's awful it's got really thin and i had it cut really very short so it wouldn't look as bad i can't wait for it to go back to shiny and healthy :) take care

I started to loose my hair, it was horrendous seeing it all on the floor, down the plug hole etc.
Had my hair cut to camouflage the loss & hairdresser recommended Revita shampoo, tangle tease brush, leave in conditioner & detangler to ensure I didn't over stress the hair especially when wet. Not to wash too often (hated that). Religiously took my vits & minerals & extra iron & zinc. Cost me a bl@@dy fortune but hair stopped falling out & still seems OK?

Yes it is a distressing side effect from surgery, that a lot of us suffer from. I am 13 months post now and it has been back to normal bout a month or so, I am fortunate enough to have thick hair an dusually keep it short, I can feel a big difference since losing some of it. I took all my vitamins, but invested in a fashionable woolen cap style hat which i found great over the winter months, as that is one of the places we lose our heat. Try using the aloe vera shampoo that sounds good I just rode the storm but like i said i had a alot of thick hair to start with, yours looks like it has some length on, do you have layers? I would speak to your hairdresser they can be clever when cutting to compensate for the loss and make it look fuller, you might even have to think about going bit shorter, its only for few months, n you can grow it all back better than a wig, n less costly, unless you could get away with extensions?? x

Yes forgot to say I have been using the Aussie brand of leave in conditioner and that helps keep it in good condition!!!

Hi there,

I'm 2 years from having my bypass,and I too have very fine hair,I was worried about it coming out.
It happened and I was so upset I tryed everything to help it stop.
I'll be honest and say there's nothing you can do to stop it.
I've tryed perfectil,zinc,selenium on prescription from doctors.
The hairloss shampoos etc...nothing helps.
It's just part and parcel of this op.
The best thing I bought to help prevent stress on my hair was to buy a brush called tangle teezer which you can get from boots.
Hope this helps x
Oh it does stop about 1 year out,no more loss anymore x

Thank you all for you ideas I have decided im not going to stress over it & like Chrisa says as its winter i can wear a hat. Think im going to risk getting some regaine like my gp says & pray it dont make it worse and some really good conditioner.

I've been lucky so far, fingers crossed lol hope u all get sorted x

from me phone :D

Maphillips said:
How are you doing caren you seem to be doing good
Mark

I'm doing great thanks mark, u?

from me phone :D

I lost a lot, it stopped growing and what was left went dull and broken. I took the scary decision to have a really, really short cut- textured and cut over my ears. The difference was amazing-it looked much thicker and healthier. when it's recovered I'll grow it again.
Must say that short hair is very liberating. I used to hide behind my long locks so it was a massive thing to get it chopped.

Back