• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2 weeks to go and the going's tough!

kurvykaren

Hi guys

Well I've been on my pre-op diet for 3 weeks so far and have another two to go!

(Mines not a straightforward story if you don't know it - op was in Feb - got as far as being on the operating table, out for the count and 3 incisions before the camera discovered a tumour (found to be non-cancerous 3 weeks later thankfully) so op was abandoned and new date set for 13 June and have to do pre-op for 4 weeks!)

I'm doing 5 weeks as I knew that at the end of the first week my mother-in-law was coming to stay for the weekend for her birthday so we were going out to lunch at Beefeater (I had chicken breast with bacon and cheese and salad, and just a couple of chips and a bit of garlic bread - I couldn't resist it!)

After 3 weeks I'm doing well - I've lost 21 lbs so far and I'm now lighter than I've been in years.

But I can't get rid of a couple of cravings! Last week I had a severe craving for an indian takeaway (a meal for one, chicken tikka masala, rice, naan, mushroom bhaji and onion bhaji too!) to the point where I cried that I was so hungry and desperately wanted it! Now, and all weekend, I just want a deep cheese, ham and mushroom pizza from the local delivery place, or a nice crusty tuna, sweetcorn, mayo baguette! No idea where this is coming from and I know its all in my head but I just want something!

I keep thinking would it hurt just to have one last meal - I've got 2 weeks to go so plenty of time to correct it. Then again the surgeon wouldn't have told me to do it for 4 weeks for nothing!

If I tell hubby I want something he'll tell me off - and rightly so, but right now I feel like I just want him to condone it and say 'yes dear, have it'!

HELP!!!

I dont have much advice as im not at your stage yet, however I guess these professionals dont tell us to do it for no reason, and if you did it, and your op got put back again how would you feel.

I know the pre op diet isnt easy, but its just a few weeks of your old life, before the new one starts.

G x

Just wanted to wish you well. You have had a tough time. Keeping everything crossed your op goes well.

As for the cravings - it is hard. How about doing something to distract you - a new hobby perhaps - something that involves your hands and you have to concentrate on?

tranquil x

Lol - I keep painting my nails to keep my fingers busy. I know I won't give in but the cravings killing me!
I couldn't stand it if my op didn't happen again and this time it was my fault.
This time in 2 weeks I'll be in my hospital bed either recovering or still in theatre!

Your doing a fantastic job Karen you should be really proud of yourself. As for wanting the foods i'd not do it hun the Homerton are really strict and the last thing you want to do is come back around without the bypass. Just think of all the good things you are going to get out of having the surgery, look at your husband for inspiration you'll soon be joining him.
Good luck hun you can do it i know you can take care xxx

Karen

You are strong and you can stick to this diet, you know better than anyone how disappointing it is to wake up and find they didnt do the op! just think of that feeling and that will get you through to the end.

You know you wont mess it up just for one more taste of proper food before the op, you can eat that again in a couple of months.

Good luck and keep strong xx

pre op slop!

Hi Karen well done for lasting that long. I just did 2 weeks on the milk diet, surviving on milk, yoghurt and OXO or Bovril, with fillers of squash and sugar free jelly. i was ok from about day 3 I got used to it but by day 10 was soooo hungry, feeling weak, nauseous and generally out of sorts. In the end I had to phone the hospital because I felt so weak, and the feeling of hunger was huge. Well after a chat I told myself I have to carry on I was only 2 days away from my op, I took some rennies and suddenly I was good again, still a bit weak but I got there.............only for the op to be cancelled as they had me down for the wrong procedure! I have now been on real food for a week and I will start another week of OXO's tomorrow to lead up to my rearranged date on June 7th. Good luck this time. xx;)

Crikey Bobs - that was terrible having your op cancelled like that!
Wishing you all the best for next week, x

Perhaps I am out of line as I have yet to face the pre-op diet challenge but from a book I have been reading this sounds like the head hunger challenge we will all face at various points along the journey to the new us. They suggest taking time out for a walk or something to distract yourself and saying to yourself this is about my health not food I can do this. Think of your weight loss, improving health and your long term goal. I hope that is of some use and apologies if that is out of line. The book is the emotional first aid kit a practical guide to life after bariatric surgery and offers advice for pre and post-op. worth a look from what I have read so far.

Dont spoil the liver now you are doing so well!After all you have been through I wish you all the very best,How is hubby doing weight wise?Maz x

Well I'm hanging in there. I got over the blip last week and it's not really worrying me not eating at the mo!

To be honest I've got too much going on to think about food! Took my wonderful Grandad to A&E on Monday evening as when I called him he said he'd had chest pains all day! Being the stubborn so and so he is he didn't think to call anyone so I told him I was picking him up and took him to hospital where they said he'd had a mild heart attack! He's still in there so I'm up there every night after work. He's 91 but think's he's 21 and won't slow down! Yesterday he was more worried that he'd missed pensioner discount day at B&Q and would have to wait a week to save £1.40 on 2 bags of bark for his garden! lol

As for work, with just working days left til my op I've tons to do, loads to show the temp they've brought in to cover me (I work in a very busy HR department in London!) and rebuild the whole HR database ready for a company resturcture that takes effect when I'm off!

Anyway - 10 days to do and I'll be in there finally for my op!

Penelope - I wasn't offended by your comments at all - everyone should feel they can say what they want - it wouldn't be an effective forum otherwise!

Take care all

Perhaps I am out of line as I have yet to face the pre-op diet challenge but from a book I have been reading this sounds like the head hunger challenge we will all face at various points along the journey to the new us. They suggest taking time out for a walk or something to distract yourself and saying to yourself this is about my health not food I can do this. Think of your weight loss, improving health and your long term goal. I hope that is of some use and apologies if that is out of line. The book is the emotional first aid kit a practical guide to life after bariatric surgery and offers advice for pre and post-op. worth a look from what I have read so far.

Penny's advice is spot on.
Head hunger is a killer.
Even 13 months out I battle with head hunger and when I have given in I find that it never tastes as good as I think it will:(
Brushing your teeth does help or have a drink of water, sometimes your body thinks its hunger when in fact its thirsty HTH

your doing so well, dont spoil it, its a case of being strong mentally, you have come this far, you will make it.

stew

Back