• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

3AM and AWAKE AGAIN.... Does anyone suffer with a Bad Back MORE since loosing weight?

emma-louise

my new life!!
Hi,

Wondered if this has happened to anyone else?
I thought when I lost my weight,my back pain would have improved some what.
I mean not carrying round extra weight all on your joints anymore should ease the back at least.
NOT for me..it's worse than ever,I'm constantly waking in the night tossing and turning.
I've bought memory mattresses,memory toppers,harder mattress...nothing can ease the pain.
Eventually I get up(like now at 3am)and sleep upright on the settee....
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?...

Hey Hun, you may have sustained damage previously from carrying the weight, or it may be a nerve issue rather than joints.

I wouldn't ponder too long! Go to see you GP, tell him it is affecting your sleep and get a session with an OT so they can assess your movement/flexibility properly.

Don't wait around Hun, backs are so integral to our overall well being. Get the experts to look at it ASAP!!

Hope you get better soon!

X

Hi,

Wondered if this has happened to anyone else?
I thought when I lost my weight,my back pain would have improved some what.
I mean not carrying round extra weight all on your joints anymore should ease the back at least.
NOT for me..it's worse than ever,I'm constantly waking in the night tossing and turning.
I've bought memory mattresses,memory toppers,harder mattress...nothing can ease the pain.
Eventually I get up(like now at 3am)and sleep upright on the settee....
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?...

Awwww hun I'm with you on this one too & sorry I have no suggestions either for you :confused: I still get the debilitating back pain and it's always worse at night. Only difference is when it comes to rolling over in bed it's not like trying to move man mountain anymore!

My back is very bad. The medics say that the skelton moved from the weight gain and then again to compensate for the weight loss. My fat was actually supporting the diska and now its gone the worn discs cause pain. In addition the physio says the loose skin causes an uneven load which exacerbates the problem. She recommend ed tummy tuck but the surgeon does not think it will help the back pain. Whilst they all argue Im stuck in agony. I also have problems with my coccyx as there is no fat pad to protect it and it has moved so it sticks out and is vulnerable.
However, I was so fat that I could barely walk so this is highly preferable to being morbidly obese.
Do see your gp and get some physio as it does help. Xx

Awwww hun I'm with you on this one too & sorry I have no suggestions either for you :confused: I still get the debilitating back pain and it's always worse at night. Only difference is when it comes to rolling over in bed it's not like trying to move man mountain anymore!

Lol...yes it's easier to flip from one side to another now

My back is very bad. The medics say that the skelton moved from the weight gain and then again to compensate for the weight loss. My fat was actually supporting the diska and now its gone the worn discs cause pain. In addition the physio says the loose skin causes an uneven load which exacerbates the problem. She recommend ed tummy tuck but the surgeon does not think it will help the back pain. Whilst they all argue Im stuck in agony. I also have problems with my coccyx as there is no fat pad to protect it and it has moved so it sticks out and is vulnerable.
However, I was so fat that I could barely walk so this is highly preferable to being morbidly obese.
Do see your gp and get some physio as it does help. Xx

I think I may have done the damage to my back whilst carrying all the excess weight.
Even my hips have been hurting lately too,on saying this when I was big I'd suffer with all types of extra pains.
I've even bought a mat which you lie on with lots of little pins to see if that would help me.

I totally sympathise. I have had spinal surgery and 2 new hips and I have only lost 3 and a half stone but I have dreadful backache in the night..I listen to audio books as I cannot sleep...I feel for you honey xxx :/

I had an accident years ago and sustained damage so I get a lot of pain I that area it is worse as I lose more weight, I swear by a tens machine (mine is ancient) they do some light weight ones ...worth giving it a try

I had an accident years ago and sustained damage so I get a lot of pain I that area it is worse as I lose more weight, I swear by a tens machine (mine is ancient) they do some light weight ones ...worth giving it a try

I've always wondered about a tens machine,
I thought they was just a bit of a gimmick.
But tonite my daughter used an heated massager on my back,it felt wonderful but 1 hour later I started to feel very sick??
Not sure why that's happened

we were warned at the seminar that back pain would get worse before it gets better as while your losing weight your spines constantly shifting as your shape changes

once your weight levels out then it can settle

ill always be in pain as im hypermobile in my joints, i hyper extend and because i have a marked weakness in my legs my spine has bent itself out of shape to support me when i stand and move

I had the menopause in my late thirties and it's only since my bypass that I can't sleep past 4am. I never could sleep blissfully through the night due to joint and back pain anyway due to degeneration in 75% of my discs but I always managed to get myself back off to sleep. Now I just lie there hoping that sleep will eventually come but I get sore/stiff just waiting for it to happen and by the time I get comfy again the sleep war is lost :(.

This used to happen at my heaviest but no longer. Sorry I can't be more help :(

It sounds weird but having trouble sleeping as my ribs hurt. They're really sticking out! I guess the fat cushioned them. Hope I get used to them! I can't get comfy :/

Nicola you do get used to it thankfully as your body subconsciously adjusts it's sleeping positions to suit. However I still haven't got used to having ribs as I'm constantly prodding them :D

Nicola you do get used to it thankfully as your body subconsciously adjusts it's sleeping positions to suit. However I still haven't got used to having ribs as I'm constantly prodding them :D

Lol, I didn't want to sound vain, but it's just so novel! Hips, ribs and elbows! I have them! Lol x

Back