• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

5th November - Best day of the year!

simplylucy

Yippeeeeeee only 4 more sleeps to go till the best day of the year!

I love the 5th November.

In the town where I live we have this mad tradition called Tar Barrels!

Basically, wooden barrels are lined with tar, filled with straw then lit. The locals then carry the flaming barrels though the town. :D

3 of my children carry the barrels. They love it, it's so exciting. I've linked some pictures on for you to see from last years event.

Children have to be 7 before they can roll the barrels. My youngest is 7 in February and is already excited about next years event!

We also have a huge bonfire. Last year and this year my children (and myself) have won the build a Guy competion and our Guy gets put on the top of the fire. A great honor!

Oh I'm so excited about Friday.

Tilly.jpg

callum001.jpg

DSCF0066.jpg

100_0613.jpg

001.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, it looks like great fun. I miss the old Bonfire nights from my childhood, it was such an exciting time! Unfortunately those days are gone and the organised displays are good, its not got the same excitement though :D Have a great time on Friday XX

Oh my goodness Lucy... I have never ever heard or seen anything like this before... it must have some historical connection... do you know the full history behind this tradition and when it started?

Love and hugs xxx

The tradition has been running for over 200 years now.

There is a couple of different ideas about how it started.

One is that the flaming barrels were carried though the town to ward off evil spirits.

The other is that the shop keepers used to place a flaming barrel inside to fumigate their properties.

No one really knows to be honest.

We have a carnival in town too, it used to be held on the same night as the barrels (when I was a child!) But now we hold it on the saturday before.

I'm on the organising committee. It's such a lot to organise and becomes harder and harder every year with the rising costs of insurance and all the health and safety issues.

Fascinating Lucy and thank you so much for sharing this, it's a new piece of knowledge for me!
Enjoy yourselves... sending love and hugs as always xxx

wow that looks amazing! Great fun :D

I love it too and it looks like we are going to three events this year, Thurs its my eldests 17th and we are going to a country pub for a meal that coincidentally has its bonfire and fireworks on that night, Friday another local one and Saturday the local theme park is opening and having one :) FAB!!

Back