• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

7 days post op - Should I take off the plasters?

Andrea73

Hi All

I am now 7 days post-op and was wondering if I should take off the plasters that are covering the holes but obviously still leave the steri-strips on. I can't remember what the nurse said when she phoned me - they are in Manchester and I am in Scotland.

What did you guys do?

The plasters are also very itchy and red.

Thanks all.

I changed mine the day after the op, 3 days after, 7 days after and then 14 days after... No harm keeping them on I guess but if they are itchy etc I would change them and during changing them they will get chance to breath.

Hi Andrea, didn't want to read and run as I am on the wrong side of my bypass surgery however my initial thoughts would be to ring the hospital and check with them just in case but no doubt an experienced post bypasser will be along to help. Hope you're not in too much discomfort xxx Laura xxx

Thanks but don't have anything to change them with. Already changed once so am pretty sure they said just to take them off after 7 days. Hopefully others will come on and give me their point of view.

Thanks for replying though.

I'm 9 days post op I was told when I left hospital to go to my gp and get the nurse to change them every other day but I didn't I had them changed on Tuesday and then on Friday the scars are healin well so I'll go back on Monday and hopefully I'll get them taken off I'd leave it to the nurse to do so you can get them cleaned hun if you just go to your GPS they should do it for you or maybe a walk in clinic have a look on nhs website but I definitely wouldn't take them off yet babe x hope that helped if they're itchin it might be the plasters themselves so if you go to a different place they more than likely use a diff dressing than the ones you have on, it might be itching because they need a good clean and fresh plasters x

when i had mine i was told to take them off a week later (might have even been 5 days tbh) and just to leave them off... leave the steristrips on a bit longer, but plasters off :)

if your worried book an app with your nurse at the drs, they will give you wounds the once over :)

.x.

Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure I was told just to take the plasters off after 7 days but leave the steristrips on. Think I'll make an appt at the nurse tomorrow to get them checked though.

Cheers

Andrea just been back to my diary to see what i was advised and here is my entry from day 7. Never once changed my dressings just advised to remove plasters and steri strips after 7 days
"day 7
ouch i have just removed my dressings and steristrips and the wounds have healed nicely but they feel a bit pinchy, the steristrip wasobviously holding every thing in place so when i moce it feels like a small nip. "

I took my plasters off after a few days, I din't have any steristrips at all and mine have healed well. xx

Hi There I am 7 days post op had surgey at hope hospital, they gave me dressings so I could change them on day 5 and today I remmoved the dressings my scars have close I had self desolving stitches on the inside and steri strips over the scar's. all wounds closed and cleaned, any worries contact district nurse and she will have a look for you x I had a phone call today 7 days after my surgery just to ask how i was getting on from the nursing team at hope hospital.I asked her if i ws ok to take my dressings off today she said yes..xx

Thanks all. I went to my local nurse today who took off from plasters however two of the wounds hadn't closed properly so had to have steristrips put back on. Should be ok by Thursday though. Its absolutely amazing how small the scars are, isn't it??

x

i had open dont know if its different but i took my dressing off the minute i got home and never put it back on. Healed really quickly (outside) but if in dought best to ring your hospital.
good luck

Andrea
I too was quite amazed at how small the cuts were aswell one has healed so well you can hardly see it was there!!!
Which I am pleased about..;o)

Back