• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

HELP please. 7 weeks post op

JOHNG79

Hi,

7 weeks after my op (privately funded in the Alexandra in Manchester due to NI not doing bariatric surgery).

Started soft stage during week as had some issues with managing food before. All ok until friday, when i vomitted my soup up. Since then iv not eaten. Most if not all liquids come back up. Cup of peppermint tea is most iv managed without vomitting. Obviously im trying to keep up with supplements but these are probably coming back up too.

Tried ringing my bariatric nurses but zero answer. Surgeon iv not set eyes on since immediately post op. Feel absolutely on my own.....

starryeyed

Sorry you're going through this john. I suffered this too. Your stomach will be irritated from the vomiting so it will be extremely inflamed and sensitive. I ended up back in hospital as I was severely dehydrated in the end. Please keep an eye on it and if you still can't keep anything down do not hesitate to go to a&e. It may be best to restart your 1-2 week liquid diet as that's what I was advised when it first occurred and I spoke to my team. Also make sure you're taking anti acid medication too.

Hannah2

@starryeyed john has posted on his diary that he has gone to a&e. Fingers crossed they can help.

JOHNG79

Sorry you're going through this john. I suffered this too. Your stomach will be irritated from the vomiting so it will be extremely inflamed and sensitive. I ended up back in hospital as I was severely dehydrated in the end. Please keep an eye on it and if you still can't keep anything down do not hesitate to go to a&e. It may be best to restart your 1-2 week liquid diet as that's what I was advised when it first occurred and I spoke to my team. Also make sure you're taking anti acid medication too.
Sadly i cant even sip water at minute. Convinced its a stricture, but sure wont know for certain until i get an endoscope with possible dilation done.

Hannah2

@JOHNG79 how are things going in a@e? Have they got you on a drip? Hope they are treating you ok.

JOHNG79

Currently on a drip. Did stomach xrays which dr said shows no blockage, but im unsure if stricture would show up there. Dr said if there was one he would see fluid lying

Hannah2

Glad they are treating you @JOHNG79 and hopefully with being drip rehydrated it will give your stomach chance to recover and for any inflammation to settle down as @starryeyed said.

Also hopefully tomorrow your team in Manchester will get back to you and follow this up - if you need an endoscopy and dilation they should do this as part of your aftercare.

Really hope they do get in touch.

Hope being a bit more hydrated is making you feel a bit better in yourself too. Are they going to keep you in overnight? Or just treat you in a&e?

JOHNG79

Xrays and bloods clear. Still on drip. On 3rd cup of water, and also had dissolvable paracetamol for headache. So far so good. Cant see me being admitted if im holding water down & bloods etc clear

erscrack

Thinking of you, hope you can get to the bottom of this quickly, glad you are being treated in A&E
Sending good wishes

JOHNG79

thanks guys. Just home.

Had a drip, antisickness iv, 3 cups of water, & some dissolvable paracetamol.

Now settled down with bottle of water, lets see how that goes....

JOHNG79

Iv had over a litre of water since coming home so thats more positive. Will probably know more once i go back to having food. Guess if it was a stricture at this time a drip etc would not have resolved the fluid issue so hopefully thats a positive i can take out of this weekend.

Doc has me on clear liquid for today so happy to stick to water & my calcium/ vitamins for today.

The absence of water & constant vomiiting causing dehydration really worried me. Think possibly the vomitting on friday at lunch may have caused inflammation etc making it so hard to stomach anything. Its such a massive steep learning curve, and was so pleased as i was hitting over 2 litre fluids a day. Then in one soup that changed for 48 hours. Mental.

Feel so glad though for all the support on here, as frankly my providers were useless.

SAM55

Sorry to hear of your bad experience @JOHNG79 . Pleased you are home again, and coping with fluids. Look after yourself, and take it easy. Also hope your team get back to you pdq!

JOHNG79

Just had hospital nurse on phone. Said she will speak to my surgeon today who is in the hospital today. She was trying to palm me off to dietician, but i had to stop her and advise it was the dietician who told me to go a&e. Oh and told me the bariatric phone was left in ward all weekend, and it would have had the ward number on my discharge letter. Just checked, its not there.

countrywench

What company is this john ? Was it through a broker firm or direct with the hospital ..

countrywench

Well I hope they up their game now and look after you properly xxxxx