• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A champagne lifestyle?

Boblatina

Another day - another little random question drifts into my little random brain :rolleyes:

To all intents and purposes I do not drink alcohol (1-2 units a MONTH at most) but when I do have a drink I do like a crafty glass of champagne (well Cava to be honest).

Obviously alcohol is a pretty big no-no post op because of empty calories and carbonated drinks are an even bigger one because of their ..... erm ....... explosive properties in your tummy. But will I never ever be able to have a glass of fizz ever again?

I would not miss any other alcoholic drink at all (and I wouldn't miss diet coke tooooo much either) but I would really miss my very occasional glass of fizz ;)

love

TillyBob

Hi there Tillybob,

The advice from surgeon's varies so much on this one.

Mine told me wait 6 months before trying anything fizzy again but also do not drink anything overly carbonated...he suggested letting diet coke go flat or semi sparkling. And not too much.

It's my wedding in 3 weeks, there will be fizz there. I might have a glass but that will be it.

I used to drink diet Coke by the bucket, at least 2 litres a day. From the date of my pre-op diet I gave it up. I have had 2 glasses (flat) in 10 months and now hate the taste.

You can live without things...honest ;):):):)

im not 100% sure babes but dont think ya can i was told fizzy drinks is a deffo no no
was also told after a glass of wine ill be anyone after my op!! lol i was in shock but hey its a cheap night out.
sorry but i could be wrong
but im sure some one will be along soon with their wonderful info to answer you better than
me
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Tillybob

My brother got me some champers for my 40th and I thought damn I cant have any. Went for my first fill 2 days after my birthday and mentioned it to the bariatric nurse who said I could have one glass, which I duly did. I swirled it around in my mouth a bit and the one glass took me ages to drink but it was lovely.

As Caz said though advice for this will vary, what ever advice you are given just follow that.

Maz x

Another day - another little random question drifts into my little random brain :rolleyes:

To all intents and purposes I do not drink alcohol (1-2 units a MONTH at most) but when I do have a drink I do like a crafty glass of champagne (well Cava to be honest).

Obviously alcohol is a pretty big no-no post op because of empty calories and carbonated drinks are an even bigger one because of their ..... erm ....... explosive properties in your tummy. But will I never ever be able to have a glass of fizz ever again?

I would not miss any other alcoholic drink at all (and I wouldn't miss diet coke tooooo much either) but I would really miss my very occasional glass of fizz ;)

love

TillyBob

Hi Tilly

We were told at the group meeting that alcohol was not a good idea...he did go on to say that although you would get drunk very quickly you would sober very quickly too...(something to do with the time it takes to go through your system)...He mentioned fizzy drinks and said that the gasses would make you stomach uncomfortable.

I'm sure that at some point further along you could have your small glass....or maybe like Caz has said, wait until the fizz has subsided...I myself love a glass or 2 of red wine...but I too will be happy to give it up if I get this operation.

(((hugs)))

Hi there Tillybob,

The advice from surgeon's varies so much on this one.

Mine told me wait 6 months before trying anything fizzy again but also do not drink anything overly carbonated...he suggested letting diet coke go flat or semi sparkling. And not too much.

It's my wedding in 3 weeks, there will be fizz there. I might have a glass but that will be it.

I used to drink diet Coke by the bucket, at least 2 litres a day. From the date of my pre-op diet I gave it up. I have had 2 glasses (flat) in 10 months and now hate the taste.

Congratulations Caz on your wedding in 3 weeks....I hope you will share some pictures with us....and we can all raise a glass of "virtual" champaign to you.

(((hugs)))

Sorry to hijack...had to say though!

I know and this is such a small thing to worry about because I drink soooooooo little anyway - 2 glasses of champagne/wine every other month at the absolute tops.

But isn't it always the tiny things that we niggle us? :( (Or am I just jibbing at the prospect of a life as the eternal "designated driver" in my circle of friends?)

Thanks everyone.

Love

TillyBob

PS Have a superb wedding day as well Caz!! You will be drunk on the champagne of love - and you are allowed that I hope!

Hi there

I am a little confused as I know of 3 banders who drink fizzy pop and alcohol freely without any problems since they have had it done. Do surgeons tend to tell ppl differently???

Thanks in advance - MeJulie xx

I have the occasional fizzy pop these days, now that I'm over a year out. I don't drink alcohol but I would say the occasional glass of fizz isn't going to hurt you post bypass. So long as you wait a decent amount of time after the op you'll be fine.

I was going to add, it might be different between banders and bypassers.

As Shell says, I think as time goes on, you can, just be careful.

As with alcohol, it can become a transfer addiction and this is why they advise against it sometimes.

But as for non carbonated alcohol, like wine etc...my surgeon said the odd glass socially is okay as this is a forever lifestyle change, as long as you are aware of the empty calories.

Thank you girls for your wishes, picture will definitely be forthcoming...once we are back from honeymoonbobs...:D

I was told no fizzy for 12 months and I aint had any yet I was like Caz easliy 2 litres of diet coke aday but Not touched it since my op

I have had a drink now and again but I stick to vodka with still flavoured sugar free water and ice

Back