• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A question that makes me cross-eyed!

Clare*

Hello Friends ..

I have pondered over asking this question , and today i thought , sod it , i will !

Did you all have a catheter during your hospital stay ??

I know that in the grand scheme of things, i really shouldn't be bothered, but i have realised that its almost a phobia of mine, not just a concern ... :jelous:

(no idea why, never had one, but the thought makes me cringe!)

Im so sorry to ask about such intimate matters ... but i know you gals will give me an honest and frank answer... sorry to put you off your supper xxx:wave_cry:

No, there was no need for one. You are able to get up and about practically straight after surgery so you can go to the bathroom no probs. You do horrible bright green wee from the stuff they put inside you to test if you are leaking inside or not.
Lynne x

I had a catheter for 2 days after surgery (taken out 4 hours before I was discharged)
I don't think thats the norm but They didn't want me moving around due to the fact they gave me Diclofenic when they shouldn't have (allergic to it and it was on my notes and wrist band)

I am not able to answer this question fully Clare as I dont fully know...I think you only have a catheter during the surgery but otherwise not but im sure someone will come and tell you the answer. I have had a catheter when I gave birth to my daughter back in 2005....I had an epidural so needed one and to be honest it wasnt painful for me and even after epidural wore off and it was removed it wasnt uncomfortable. Try not to worry hun xxxxx

I had my surgery in the US (I'm an American expat living in the UK) and did have a catheter. At first I was too drugged to notice it. Eventually I kept feeling the urge to have to go and the nurses insisted I shouldn't as I had a cath in. They eventually realised my cath had gotten kinked somewhere inside so it wasn't doing its job. At that point I was ready to be up and moving so they just went ahead and took it out. It felt a bit odd having it removed but that was the extent of my really noticing it.

I know it can sound and seem freaky to have one but it really isn't noticeable and isn't in for that long at all. Ask your doc questions about everything to expect, even that. It's important to know as much as you can about what to expect so that you are not taken by surprise, especially when you are first out of surgery, sore, and loopy on meds. I asked LOADS of questions so that by the time my surgery day came, I was actually reasonably calm considering the circumstances.

Its nothing to worry about,relax and let nature take its course while its in,When it comes out the nurses are good and tell you what to do/expect.Its not painful thing just a strange feeling!

Being pre-op myself I can't answer your question as such but like some of the other ladies I have had one after other surgeries and after an epidural having my eldest. They aren't to bad and only slight discomfort when they remove them. A slight cough from you as they take the last bit out disguises for the most part the only discomfort I felt, and other than a little trepidation thinking it would sting the first time I needed to go to the toilet after it's removal it was fine. Try not to worry it will be fine honest.

i had one when i woke up which was a bit of a surprise! It was weird...but it was only in for a couple of hours then as soon as i could get up, it came out! x

Not through WLS, but I had a catheter after I had my son (probably in the same hospital 21tasha had hers but 7 years earlier!).

I couldn't feel it when it was in. It was a bit sore when they removed it but because off 'leakages in that area' due to what I was in there for it isn't something that you would feel if you had one after WLS.

I was so worried about this prior to surgery. I have some issues from childhood which made me very anxious about having a catheter. But it was absolutely fine.

I woke up from surgery with the catheter in and for the next two days I didn't feel any urge to wee. It was just coming out into the bag without me realising.

When the nurse took it out it literally took seconds and it was gone. They don't even touch you up there, they just pull the tube from a few inches away. A few hours later I was able to go and have my first wee.

Frankly though, when you're post surgery and feeling rough you just lose all shyness and let them do whatever is needed.

No catheter for me hun, just drain in left side of stomach.

No, there was no need for one. You are able to get up and about practically straight after surgery so you can go to the bathroom no probs. You do horrible bright green wee from the stuff they put inside you to test if you are leaking inside or not.
Lynne x

I had the DRINK the horrible blue dye the day after op...OMG that was disgusting!!! But the bright green wee was quite funny!

No catheter for me either x

I didn't have one either and I don't recall the bright green wee either!

No catheter for me hun, just drain in left side of stomach.

I had the DRINK the horrible blue dye the day after op...OMG that was disgusting!!! But the bright green wee was quite funny!

I had totally forgotten how nasty that blue stuff was! :yuk: I was soooo thirsty by then as well, as I was only allowed to suck on some mouth swab things up until then.

i had catheter after my bypass... and like you i was worried about it.. but it is nothing to worry about.. had it for a few days and to be honest was a god send as i was in so much pain after my surgery.. i had a few probs in theatre so resulted in me going from lap to open very quickly so was bruised and battered a bit!

it really isnt a prob.. maybe a little uncomfy at times but nothing unbearable..

x

They put mine in when i was under anaesthetic so i didn't even realise for quite some time (oh the joys of self administered morphine) they took it out when they knew i was going to be discharged....

I didn't get one.xx

Back