• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am I eating enough?

witchingmoon

I find I struggling to get food in because I a worried about pain. I have had a fromage frais half a pot in the morning and the othe half in the evening. Also an egg cup pured mash and soft cheese.
Is this enough? If not what else can I try?

How do you mean worried about pain?Does it hurt to eat or are you just apprehensive?
No you are not eating enough at all,why are you not on liquids?Usually liquids for 2/3 weeks then puree 2 weeks then soft foods etc.

Eating should not cause you any pain, sweetie :) go back to clear soups, Slimfast, protein shakes etc ... you need to be aiming for around 500 to 600 cals which is easily achievable with the above. If you are having pain when eating, you need to contact your team ... happy losing, hon :):) xx

I was told to be on purée for 4 weeks then 4 weeks of mushy stuff. The first meal I had much pain so don't want to feel that again (was in hospital and was way to thick). They gave me a book with less than a 5th of a page on what to eat but it's not to helpful. I have been in alot of pain since the op so moving hurts and I don't want more pain. TBH I am not sure I would go through it again :(

See if you can drink some nourishing thin soup or even milky horlicks. Get the sugar free, low fat one. If nothing else drink milk and contact your team lovely, it doesn't hurt to eat after a bypass.

Love Kate x

I had no pain eating, but I was on fluids and diluted soup only for 2 weeks. I drank Ovaltine light made with milk, and bovril. Good luck

Hun you need to be on liquids for now... i couldnt stand the slimfast soups so i brought normal chicken soups and tomato and mushroom soup... with the chicken and mushroom soups i put them through a seive so not to have the bits. also add a little bit of milk to give some protein. Also in try an have some semi skimmed milk with a heaped tbsp of marvel in... i hate the taste of milk so i had it with a tiny bit of no added sugar crusha milkshake mix in. now i have my milk with an options hot chocolate.
Get in touch with your dietician hun as i think you need to be having liquids around every two hours including your water or tea if your like me and cant stomach drinking water x

Rakelane is only 2-3 days liquid then onto puree for 4-6 weeks which does seem very quick. Funny how each hospital is different just hope to not have this problem when it's my op. X x x

Hey witchingmoon. It's funny you said that you find it painful to eat. I followed my diet plan exactly well tried to. I did fluids week 1 then sloppy foods followed by purred foods then mashed foods. I started to struggle from that stage and now approaching 8 weeks I have not eaten for the past 3 weeks almost now. When I do try to eat my body throws it back up and I'm sick. I have chest pains and lower abdo pains. Plus I struggle with fluids too. How you feeling now hope eating ok now

Hey witchingmoon. It's funny you said that you find it painful to eat. I followed my diet plan exactly well tried to. I did fluids week 1 then sloppy foods followed by purred foods then mashed foods. I started to struggle from that stage and now approaching 8 weeks I have not eaten for the past 3 weeks almost now. When I do try to eat my body throws it back up and I'm sick. I have chest pains and lower abdo pains. Plus I struggle with fluids too. How you feeling now hope eating ok now

I hope you can eat soon.
I can drink for England. I can manage a hole cup of tea... my hubby has started putting them in a flask cup so they stay warm but I will drink it in under and hour.
I have eaten without pain I just look at it and feel meh. I got to 5pm today with only a frube. My nurse told me to eat more but as I am still feeling ill from an infection and my inside pain is still very bad I just want to hid in my bed.

I have to be hounest hear im only just over a week post op whst I've found is that every ones story on here post op is very different it's great to listen to people's experiences but ultimately you have to find your own way and what works for you just remember that no two people are completely alike in every day life and the same goes for being post op do whst works for you but always speak to your team they will always point you the right way best of luck sweety things WILL get better
Jonny

You need to have enough fluids for your kidneys to work and you need protein to help your body heal, no matter what everyone elses experiences are, these are the basics. If you can drink tea you should be able to drink diluted soups and bovril and milky drinks. You cannot leave it all day, i feel sick everytime I eat but I ignore it and carry on, you have to or you will be very ill. Please dont go all day just drinking tea. xxx

I am 3 weeks post sleeve, have lost quite a bit of weight already but don't feel too good. I'd like to know if it's normal for this stage. I think I have worked out that my chewable multivitamins from Boots are cr*p; they don't even say on the pack *what* vitamins are in it, let alone what strength. And they only say they have 10 vitamins. So now I am just about able to swallow pills, I got some high strength multivitamins with over 40 different ingredients and hope that will help. I'd like to know if any other sleevers out there have felt like me 3 weeks post op, sort of sick a lot of the time, and generally not that good. I am on mushy food but I can't eat ANY vegetables, they all give me bad wind pain, so I'm avoiding them and sticking to soups, and protein mush. Is that OK?

I'm a gastric bypass but I buy from boots bassetts chewable multivitamins and minerals. One a day like eating a jelly baby. They do the trick

I had doudenal switch 3 1/2 weeks ago i really haven't eaten much at all but am drinking plenty of fluids and try to have two milk drinks a day at least and i only found out about the marvel being added the other day on here so will be getting some of that, the first few days were so painful for me (still is painful but getting better)i couldn't eat at all and they told me as long as i drink everything else will come together in time. I had weetabix with 200ml hot skimmed milk this morning so was very runny but had protein and liquid in it, had couple of spoons of low fat cottage cheese for lunch with a slice of lean ham broken into tiny pieces and well chewed.i have a slimfast drink in afternoon again protein and liquid,i'm having some smoked haddock for tea cooked in skimmed milk in microwave then later tonight will have some melon cubes and then ovaltine before bed (protein and liquid )i try to get cups of tea in during the day too but don't always get to finish them because i'm full . If you fill up with tea during the day you won't have room for food :) hope you're ok soon xx

You need to have enough fluids for your kidneys to work and you need protein to help your body heal, no matter what everyone elses experiences are, these are the basics. If you can drink tea you should be able to drink diluted soups and bovril and milky drinks. You cannot leave it all day, i feel sick everytime I eat but I ignore it and carry on, you have to or you will be very ill. Please dont go all day just drinking tea. xxx

I did try bovril but it was like drinking salt I just couldn't get it in. Hubby has soups for me tonight and I did manage pureed tinned hot dogs with sweet potato. I know they not the best meat but as they went in I wasn't complaining. I have been having half a glass of milk at bed time may up it in the day.
xx

Back