• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone have Acid Reflux?

sugga

Does anyone suffer from Acid Reflux? and can anyone tell me what it is and what symptoms you get from it please.

I think im going to see the doc as i dont have a cold or anything but my nose is blocked and and i feel like there is something in my throat when i swallow. Sometimes a funny taste in my mouth too.
Would appreciate any advise please. xxxx

I don't have a clue Andrea, sorry... hoping someone will be able to help... try and google your symptoms and make a list for your GP., it sounds really unpleasant. Good luck with resolving this... love and hugs xxx

I had terrible problems with acid reflux before my op, I was diagnosed with Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) which I took meds for. Basically anything/everything I ate/drank would give me terrible indigestion & pain in my chest, and I would often have bouts of feeling like it was difficult to swallow, & bringing up acid into the back of my throat....eugh, it was gross, but all gone since straight after my op! If you aren't getting any pain/indigestion, I would suggest it may be a sinus infection, giving you that blocked feeling & bad taste at the back of your throat? xxx

Hi Angie, i dont have the symptoms that you mentioned, its just hard to swallow and blocked nose, and bad taste. The doctor gave me a nasal spray but thats not working so i thought of acid reflux but i dont think its that either. I shall go back to the docs and see whatelse they say. Thanks love ill let you know what the doc says xxx

angie, can we get acid reflux with a bypass, i thought that our pouches produced virtually no gastric juices or anything like that, and that all that sort of thing was done where the bowel is joined further down, am i right huni. cos if thats the case, thats probably why yours went away after your op isnt it.

That is a good point Dawn, if so, another good reason for the bypass Andrea... xxx

I have acid reflux (gestational ) and my symptons are very bad heartburn and indegestion it triggers from spicy foods and i also get it when bending forward and if i lie flat so have to sleep propped up im on lansoprazole tablets , i also get a nasty taste in my mouth sometimes from it hope that helps xx

As far as I'm aware Dawny you're right. Once the bypass has been performed & we're taking meds to reduce stomach acid, symptoms of GORD go away, so I guess, yes, we wouldn't suffer from it after the bypass, at least not for very long anyway. Also because you're eating smaller portions & losing central fat around the internal organs, which would press on the stomach making acid reflux worse, then all the things that exacerbate it eventually go away, meaning the symptoms do too. Doesn't sound like GORD does it Andrea? See what the Dr says.....let us know! xxx

Sounds more like polyps or infected tonsils than reflux. If you're not happy with your gp ask for a referral to ear nose & throat.

I had acid reflux pre-op. It was horrendous indigestion, heart-burn etc. I would often have acid in the back of my throat. Yuck and very, very distressing. Brought on by eating, lying flat, or bending over.
It was treated by Lanzaprazole and it worked very well. When I had to stop taking it for 2 weeks before my gastroscopy I was in a terrible state and chewing antacids every 10 minutes!
Like Angie, I've had no problems what-so-ever since my bypass. :) It was partly why a bypass was recommended for me.

Sugga what you have could be sinusitis. I've had that many times too. It often requires treatment with heavy-duty anti-biotics to clear. Best go back to your GP sweety.

Hugs, Grace xxx

Ive had acid-reflux too....it really is horrible. I have a hiatus hernia so Ive had it for years! I almost lived on antacids for such a long time. I took meds for it which were ok but since bypass Ive not had it either (touch wood) :D XX

Ive had acid-reflux too....it really is horrible. I have a hiatus hernia so Ive had it for years! I almost lived on antacids for such a long time. I took meds for it which were ok but since bypass Ive not had it either (touch wood) :D XX

Great to hear you're free from this too Dotty - another great bonus from bypass surgery!:D

I too have hiatus hernia and reflux which need medicating, my surgeon told me on my pre-op visit that he recommends bypass for me partly because these would disappear. So am hoping for an acid free time post-op!

Sugga, I would also say it sounds like a sinus infection so def. best to get it checked.

hey we could be the ant-acid club. what was it you were on dotty?

You have to ensure you keep up with your fast tabs, or lansoprazole post op to ensure you dont get adic reflux as its really dangerous for your pouch and the new joints in the pouch. So no - being bypassed isnt a cure - but taking the meds for life should deffo help.
I have noticed an increased in acid reflux since being pregnant so I was upped on my meds to ensure I dont get any as it is so dangerous x

Back