• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Back again. Bile Reflux advice welcome

JOHNG79

Well where do i start.

Weight loss has stopped now, and i am at a reasonably stable weight stage (always room for improvement)

Following a long running issue of bile reflux once i began eating solids, batteries of tests, i have now been told by an Upper GI Consultant (arranged by my surgeon who is a colleague of his) the tests show i dont have ACID reflux. Yes thats right, oh and to cap it all, i was given 2 suggested treatment ideas. Gaviscon (!!) and trial of sucrafate, and maybe see an ENT about possible burning throat sensation (totally ignoring fact that if bothered to look at my throat they would see it is dark purple and practically blistering on daily basis, worse after food). Also swept aside fact that an ENT Consultant had examined my nose and throat last year, and was satisfied no issue at their end but advised me to get GI input re. Reflux.

Would really like to talk to someone who has had bile reflux issues post bypass, and what was done to resolve it. Particularly curious about tests carried out

That doesn’t sound right!
Sorry can’t help but hopefully someone else can.

Last edited:
Oh ouch that’s sounds horrible. Sorry I can’t help but you really need to get a second opinion I think. Must be awful for you x

Well where do i start.

Weight loss has stopped now, and i am at a reasonably stable weight stage (always room for improvement)

Following a long running issue of bile reflux once i began eating solids, batteries of tests, i have now been told by an Upper GI Consultant (arranged by my surgeon who is a colleague of his) the tests show i dont have ACID reflux. Yes thats right, oh and to cap it all, i was given 2 suggested treatment ideas. Gaviscon (!!) and trial of sucrafate, and maybe see an ENT about possible burning throat sensation (totally ignoring fact that if bothered to look at my throat they would see it is dark purple and practically blistering on daily basis, worse after food). Also swept aside fact that an ENT Consultant had examined my nose and throat last year, and was satisfied no issue at their end but advised me to get GI input re. Reflux.

Would really like to talk to someone who has had bile reflux issues post bypass, and what was done to resolve it. Particularly curious about tests carried out
Hosh that sounds terrible, I’m sorry I can’t help but hope someone can over some advice, would definitely ask for a second opinion though, good luck, it’s good to here from you x

Hi @JOHNG79

I'm not a bypassed but I did have these issues with my band prior to its removal.

I was referred with reflux symptoms, ie bringing up food when bending and acid mostly at night, where I would wake up almost choking on the stuff. I also had occasional really bad attacks in the daytime. Which would see me hunched over the toilet, wringing in sweat from the pain and bringing up bile.

The first test I had was a barium swallow, which was inconclusive as the liquid passed through with no issues.

The second test was an gastroscopy under sedation (camera down the throat). Where it was diagnosed that the reflux and acid had caused lesions on my osophagus, which needed to be treated as the consequences if not could be pretty bad.

Treatment was band removal, then a double dose of omeprazol for 6 months. To be fair the band removal did most of the work. After six months and with no further issues, I was put on the list for a sleeve conversion and the omeprazol was cut to one a day.

I'm now two years post sleeve and have had no further issues.

I know how miserable it can be so I really sympathise with you and it must be especially frustrating that they seem to be ignoring you too. Are you taking any medication currently?

I can only advise what I would do which would be to go back to my GP, get some treatment and another referral.

Good luck xx

Hi @JOHNG79

I'm not a bypassed but I did have these issues with my band prior to its removal.

I was referred with reflux symptoms, ie bringing up food when bending and acid mostly at night, where I would wake up almost choking on the stuff. I also had occasional really bad attacks in the daytime. Which would see me hunched over the toilet, wringing in sweat from the pain and bringing up bile.

The first test I had was a barium swallow, which was inconclusive as the liquid passed through with no issues.

The second test was an gastroscopy under sedation (camera down the throat). Where it was diagnosed that the reflux and acid had caused lesions on my osophagus, which needed to be treated as the consequences if not could be pretty bad.

Treatment was band removal, then a double dose of omeprazol for 6 months. To be fair the band removal did most of the work. After six months and with no further issues, I was put on the list for a sleeve conversion and the omeprazol was cut to one a day.

I'm now two years post sleeve and have had no further issues.

I know how miserable it can be so I really sympathise with you and it must be especially frustrating that they seem to be ignoring you too. Are you taking any medication currently?

I can only advise what I would do which would be to go back to my GP, get some treatment and another referral.

Good luck xx

Have had barium swallow, the swallowing tests (drinking and eating) ph 24hr tube up nose to monitor acid, 2 x endoscopes (1 normal one, other was part of ph bravo capsule insertion), and ph bravo test.

All conclude not acid reflux. Which was pretty sure of before tests ordered last october/ november. Back on 40mg esomeprazole twice a day, and 300mg ranitidine at night (which were pre bypass meds). Consultant i saw other told me other day to stop them, but i worry that could cause ulcers of pouch as i previously had pretty bad acid. He told me that bypass effectively removes part of stomach that produces acid and so it wouldnt be an issue. At same though telling me to sip gaviscon few times a day to line gullet etc to help ease bile discomfort. Madness imo. Id been referred for all theses tests and told about allsorts of solutions eg linx/fundoplication etc with revision as last resort (including mention of endeavouring to check limb length - no evidence of this being done, and unsure if it can be unless in surgical setting). Year later its been tests and appts with 2 consultants (both colleagues of my surgeon) and end up with try gaviscon and sucrafate (but that will prob not make a difference).
Funny thing (well it is if you arent person suffering) is not one of them have shown interest in back of throat which a blind man can see something is coming up that shouldnt be (iv had acid reflux, i know the taste and feeling, its not it) i showed my gp on monday (reaction was my god whats that?!) Even more frustrating is iv been back and forth to england for all these tests and appts, following my initial privately funded surgery there. Not getting a break at all. Reason i wanted bypass was i was worried about reflux issues if i had sleeve. More invasive surgery, yet iv never been right as soon as i started eating solids (which was delayed longer than most as i seemed to heal slower than most internally).

Have had barium swallow, the swallowing tests (drinking and eating) ph 24hr tube up nose to monitor acid, 2 x endoscopes (1 normal one, other was part of ph bravo capsule insertion), and ph bravo test.

All conclude not acid reflux. Which was pretty sure of before tests ordered last october/ november. Back on 40mg esomeprazole twice a day, and 300mg ranitidine at night (which were pre bypass meds). Consultant i saw other told me other day to stop them, but i worry that could cause ulcers of pouch as i previously had pretty bad acid. He told me that bypass effectively removes part of stomach that produces acid and so it wouldnt be an issue. At same though telling me to sip gaviscon few times a day to line gullet etc to help ease bile discomfort. Madness imo. Id been referred for all theses tests and told about allsorts of solutions eg linx/fundoplication etc with revision as last resort (including mention of endeavouring to check limb length - no evidence of this being done, and unsure if it can be unless in surgical setting). Year later its been tests and appts with 2 consultants (both colleagues of my surgeon) and end up with try gaviscon and sucrafate (but that will prob not make a difference).
Funny thing (well it is if you arent person suffering) is not one of them have shown interest in back of throat which a blind man can see something is coming up that shouldnt be (iv had acid reflux, i know the taste and feeling, its not it) i showed my gp on monday (reaction was my god whats that?!) Even more frustrating is iv been back and forth to england for all these tests and appts, following my initial privately funded surgery there. Not getting a break at all. Reason i wanted bypass was i was worried about reflux issues if i had sleeve. More invasive surgery, yet iv never been right as soon as i started eating solids (which was delayed longer than most as i seemed to heal slower than most internally).
Sounds absolutely horrendous it must be so blooming frustrating for you :banghead:

Back