• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

beware of bypass if diabetic

tray

According to a new report gastric bypass surgery is not always a great success story.
Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery, which is one of the most common bariatric procedure performed, involves surgeons creating a smaller stomach pouch that restricts food intake and bypasses large sections of the digestive system.
The researchers say in ideal circumstances it has a low rate of complication and results in sustained and meaningful weight loss, significant improvement in quality of life, improvement or resolution of obesity-associated comorbidities and extended life span.
However the team from the University of California, San Francisco, say up to 15% of patients do not lose weight successfully, despite perceived precise surgical technique and regular follow-up.
Dr. Guilherme M. Campos and his colleagues examined data from 361 patients who underwent gastric bypass at one institution between 2003 and 2006.
Poor weight loss was defined as losing 40% or less of excess body weight after 12 months and good weight loss as losing more than 40% of excess weight.
The examination of the yearly follow-up data on 310 of the patients, who had an average body mass index (BMI) of 52 before surgery showed they had an average BMI of 34 and had lost an average of 60 percent of their excess body weight.
However 38 patients (12.3%) had poor weight loss and after adjusting for other related factors, diabetes and having a larger size stomach pouch after gastric bypass surgery were independently associated with poor weight loss.
The researchers suggest that with diabetics on insulin or other drugs, the production of fat and cholesterol is stimulated and other factors too may lead to weight gain including a 'protective' increase in caloric intake to treat episodes of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), reduction of urinary glucose losses and sodium and water retention that are a direct effect of insulin on the distal tubule in the kidney.
The researchers say the restriction on dietary intake imposed by a small stomach pouch is one of the most important aspects of gastric bypass surgery.
Research suggest that many surgeons estimate pouch size using anatomical landmarks rather than using a sizing balloon and the team say it is critical to stress the importance of and to teach the creation of the small gastric pouch and to better standardise the technique used for pouch creation.
They believe that a gastric bypass provides good or excellent weight loss for most patients, but for diabetics a larger pouch size are independently associated with poor weight loss after gastric bypass.
They say changes in the use of diabetes medications may reduce the risk of poor weight loss among diabetics undergoing gastric bypass but they suggest that detailed attention to the creation of a small gastric pouch is essential for achieving the best results.
This study was supported in part by a grant from the National Center for Research Resources and is published in the September issue of Archives of Surgery, one of the JAMA/Archives journals.
Be the first to rate this post

this could be the reason i havent been successful, i had my op july 2010 i only lost about 3 stone after the op, and now its going back on, i only found out today that it can be harder for diabetics if the surgeon did not make the pouch small enough, i had been saying this for 3 years so now im going to ask them to do it again and make the bloody thing right

I'm really not sure what you mean about not being successful as your after photos say you have lost 7 stone?

Hi tray...

You've not been here for a long time!
I thought you'd lost more than 3 stones,but I do remember you struggling quite soon after your op.
Are you well though?

I remember you :) Sorry to hear you've struggled. Good luck with the hospital

You look amazing in your photos, don't give up I am a diabetic and hope I can look as good as you when I have had my op.

the trouble is i started of at 23 stone im now 18 so ok i lost a few inches but ive no way lost enough weight, my bmi is still to high but no matter what i do im stuck at this weight, people need to be made to realise this is not a cure for obesity yes its a tool but what they dont tell you is that its sometimes doesnt work at all, i stupidly went in believing that finally i was going to be slim and healthy and anyone that doesnt think that when there going for the op is lying, we all want to think this is the op we need to be thin, i have researched the bypass and my god there is so much they either dont tell you or they really dont know, ive researched in via america which is where they do the most successful out comes, and if your diabetic your not told it is not such a sucsess than if your not diabetic, i dont care what the drs say over here they need to look more in depth into diabetic obesity surgery, before more diabetic people are left feeling like they have been failed, is it coincidence, that 3 other people i know who all had the same op by the same surgeon, the 2 diabetics didnt lose hardly any weight but the 2 that are not diabetic the weight fell off them coincidence or surgical error, im thinking the latter might be to blame,
surgeons have to make the pouch a lot smaller on a diabetic then on a regular person, the reason for this is due to the absorption of diabetic medicine working against the pouch

this is what the researchers have said "

The researchers say the restriction on dietary intake imposed by a small stomach pouch is one of the most important aspects of gastric bypass surgery.
Research suggest that many surgeons estimate pouch size using anatomical landmarks rather than using a sizing balloon and the team say it is critical to stress the importance of and to teach the creation of the small gastric pouch and to better standardise the technique used for pouch creation.
They believe that a gastric bypass provides good or excellent weight loss for most patients, but for diabetics a larger pouch size are independently associated with poor weight loss after gastric bypass.

which is why i am taking this research to the surgeons, to see if they can rectify the problem, otherwise going through an emotional rollercoaster was pointless.

the trouble is i started of at 23 stone im now 18 so ok i lost a few inches but ive no way lost enough weight, my bmi is still to high but no matter what i do im stuck at this weight, people need to be made to realise this is not a cure for obesity yes its a tool but what they dont tell you is that its sometimes doesnt work at all, i stupidly went in believing that finally i was going to be slim and healthy and anyone that doesnt think that when there going for the op is lying, we all want to think this is the op we need to be thin, i have researched the bypass and my god there is so much they either dont tell you or they really dont know, ive researched in via america which is where they do the most successful out comes, and if your diabetic your not told it is not such a sucsess than if your not diabetic, i dont care what the drs say over here they need to look more in depth into diabetic obesity surgery, before more diabetic people are left feeling like they have been failed, is it coincidence, that 3 other people i know who all had the same op by the same surgeon, the 2 diabetics didnt lose hardly any weight but the 2 that are not diabetic the weight fell off them coincidence or surgical error, im thinking the latter might be to blame,
surgeons have to make the pouch a lot smaller on a diabetic then on a regular person, the reason for this is due to the absorption of diabetic medicine working against the pouch

which is why i am taking this research to the surgeons, to see if they can rectify the problem, otherwise going through an emotional rollercoaster was pointless.

Hi tray,
I'm totally with you that uk surgeons do not tell you everything about having a gastric bypass.
Ive done plenty of research before having my operation but I have found more detailed information from America where these ops have been done a lot more.

I agree your not told all you told the good..a bit of the bad and not so much of the ugly.

However I have to say I am/was diabetic going in at a awful 24 stone plus almost immediately after the op my blood sugars rectified I very rarely go above a 10 on testing although I do have days of it where I have to take a metformin. Mostly I am about 5 to 8 I hope it stays like this now as for my pouch I can barley manage 5 tea spoons of whatever I am eating knowing if I go above that I just know it will be too much so I am assuming my pouch is pretty small. I was on 4 500mg metformin a day and a glycazide I really hope not to get back fully on them and it balances out over all.

GOOD luck I h hope it does get sorted out for you tho

I have a ridiculously small pouch, and I mean ridiculous. Op done nowt for blood sugars or medication amount. You can't get a smaller pouch than I have, trust me :eek:

I'm a 100% believer in portion control for my weight loss. Exercise I think tones, but doesn't make me lose weight.

I can't imagine it's going to be easy to get a surgeon to admit the pouch he made was too small, it would set a precedent for a hell of a lot of revisions in the future. My heart goes out to you I can't even imagine how frustrating it is for you. Good luck xx

Oh no, I requested a small pouch, a really really small pouch, and had to justify myself and promise to be good. Also got a dvd to check just how small :eek:

Sorry Jemima I meant too big* I was responding to the original poster, and lots of diabetics pouches made too big.

This operation has damaged my brain I think, I'm so fuzzy

Back