• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Blooming Carbs - Nobody told me they play hide n seek!

phatmomma

I had been thinking how well i was doing with my diet post op! Always eat my protein before i touch any kind of carbs - unless of course i have melba toast with something on in which case i'd be pretty darn good eating the topping first :)

Anyhow, the last two days i've recorded my food intake on foodfocus and am eating a lot more carbs than protein... The sneaky little suckers are everywhere! How can i possibly have the time to pre-plan so that i get a happy balance? Even cherry tomatoes have 2 x more carb than protein, a muller light yoghurt has 17g carb and 9g protein...

Am i really fighting the battle against the carbs as we're all been told when i actually have no chance of beating it?

Yep Muller lights are full of sweetners, low in fat but full of other rubbish. Im suprised they dont make you dump!

Hi Julie,

It's a headache for sure!

(I have purchased the Dummies guide to WLS by the way)!

Just wondering if there is a low carb handbook anywhere which may also have the research information for the majority of branded products... I have had calorie counters like that... will have to investigate when I get a few mins!

A great weight loss for you love!

I've done a couple of hours exercise today and although it's within my limits, I am so much better for it!

I'll try and search around for a low carb handbook which is compatible with our UK supermarkets.

Loads of love Julie and take good care xxx

Its not a losing battle, its just about education and re-education! Have a look for some low carb cook books, or google low carb recipes for ideas. Google some high protein and low carb foods, check out the post WLS recipe section (especially Nic's posts) for high protein low carb recipes and ideas, and don't be disheartened!

It took me about 3-4 months to really get my head around the protein/carb balance. Keep using foodfocus and try to get in the habit of reading labels. It does become habit and second nature to avoid the carbs, honest!

This is why the likes of Carole, Nic and I go on about carbs, it is SO easy to get carried away by them and they do impact on your losses further down the line.

its a nightmare hey! the lil suckers are EVERYWHERE even in a bloody smoothie for fluff sake, tho a month ago i would have said id marry one!!! ha esp covered in salt n vinegar xx im gonna search for these books to to help me if i fine one i shall share x

Kell, there is a huge range on Amazon... we need to get our heads around this carb business early on!
I'm not getting a USA book since their products are different...
Just not sure which one is the most useful, be good if there is one with branded goods... which is up to date!
xxx

oooo ill take a peek now! x

I have wls for dummies :) I also brought a wls cookbook however it is by americans and everything is measured in cups and different product names.

I will have a look on Amazon, in the meantime if anyone finds one let me know via private message please? I'm not brilliant at backtracking posts :)

I would be grateful if anyone can recommend a book too, would be brilliant xxxx

I learned an awful lot about carbs when I did the atkins and got myself a carb counter. It's amazing when you find out most veg has a carb count, especially carrots, onions and tomatoes - basically anything that tastes sweet when you cook it means it has some sort of sugar in it and fruit is even worse - berries are the best. Get yourself a decent carb counter book and read it like a bible. The best way to be sure it has more protein than carbs is to eat fresh - meat, fish, seafood and for veg the greener the better (think spinach, greens, dark lettuce). Even soy sauce has sugar in it!

Yeah but what do i take to work for my lunch? I can't do two cooked meals in one day... I can do meat n veg no worries but not twice a day.. Any suggestions?

Eggs, ham, tuna, tinned salmon, egg mayonaise with a nice salad - you can have tomatoes as although they have carbs you can still have a couple of baby ones, cooked chicken (cook it whilst you are cooking dinner and then put in the fridge for the next day), There are also these things I have noticed in the supermarket called fridge raiders by Mattessons, low carb high protein low fat - very handy for a quick lunch

What facilities do you have in work Julie? Fridge/Microwave?

You can always make up some low carb soup, chicken and green veg, spicy prawn, ham and pea etc. Have you tried quinoa? Its a high protein alternative to carbs, you could make a yummy quinoa salad with leafy greens and whatever meat/fish you fancy. Lots of herbs for flavour.

Yes Shel i have both fridge n microwave, i've never tried quinoa what is it?

Today i'm taking some tuna in low fat mayo, unfortunately my kids have eaten all the tomatoes so will pop the WRVS and grab a salad to go with it....

I'm not a massive soup lover, i find it doesn't do much to satisfy my hunger if i'm honest!

quinoa is a grain, with a texture like cous cous. it's lovely in soups and salads, and cos its full of protein its really filling. I find home made soups far more filling than shop bought, and you can always make chunky ones :)

That is a great suggestion...quinoa... never thought of that.... I make soup all of the time... many thanks... xxx

aye, but only 1g per serving. we need some carbs, just not loads.

Back