• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

breaking news fat women falls through ceiling

You don't say what type of building you are in or how old. It is unbelievable that it should be in such a state that someone should fall through no matter how much they weigh!
You need to get to either A&E or your doctor, getting signed off is a good start. Just because you didn't hurt much (Physically) after the event doesn't mean that there is no long term damage.
If you are bruised then photograph all the bruises for evidence. Photograph your swollen knee and any other injuries no matter how slight you may feel they are.
This is definitely a case for suing, especially with the caring attitude of the people you work with (not).
Ring round as many injury firms as you can and get some advice. Do not let them get away with this.
As for your colleagues, well, what a bunch! don't bother even giving them the opportunity to have another go, do not tell them you can lose weight but they will still stay ignorant as you obviously can't or you would be slim.
A retort from you indicating your weight will just add fuel to their mean nasty minds.
Just smile sweetly at them and say something along the lines of 'Thank God it was me fell through the floor, it could have been really serious had it been a pregnant woman / member of public - anyone else you can think of.

Jeez... That's awful ! Your employer is legally committed to recording and notifying this accident - if they don't they're breaking the law. So make sure you've filled out all the necessary forms. If you are a Union member also ask for their H&S rep to advise you. Get to A&E or a GP and get every scrape, scratch and possible injury recorded asap. Do not delay as this must be done asap after the accident and will be referred to later in the event of a claim. Good luck ! And hope you feel better soon. xxx

hi everyone thanks for the words of support, been to a and e this morning where the doctor was convinced ive broken a bone but nothing showing up on scan but she did say its very swollen so something might be hidden so have had a nice injection for the pain and told to keep weight off it for next 24 hours . whole body is covered in cuts and bruises and i ache all over but i will get over it. they arent happy that i phoned in sick but tough.

my manager filled in health ans safety forms yesterday so i know all thats covered. everyone says to put a claim in but my jobs on the rocks with redundacys anyway so im not sure i want to rock the boat.

Chris, what a terrible thing to have happened. :eek: How disgusting that no-one offered you a helping hand. So much for employers respecting their staff! I wouldn't worry about taking time off - you'd obviously get no thanks for going back into work the next day!

I fell at work last February and split my knee open down to the tendon on the stairs into work but I couldn't claim because there wasn't anything wrong with the steps, no hazards, etc - just a bit of frost that I think I slipped on. I wouldn't let the thought of repercusions deter you from claiming - an employer can be sued for unfair or wrongful dismissal if they subsequently terminate your employment after you put in a claim against them, whether they are looking at redundancies or not. Get some advice from one of these no win no fees as I think you have a very strong case against your employer.

Also, if you are a Union member you may be able to claim from them eg for costs as a result of your accident eg taxi to hospitals, shopping being delivered, etc. I had to do this as I couldn't walk or drive for months!

Hope that you're feeling better soon.

Right Missis! If your job is in jepoardy even more reason to get a claim in, this is worth a heck of a lot of money to you. At the very least this could pay for your plastics if you need them! The firm will have public liability insurance to cover this, they will be expecting a claim and rightly so, trust me.

Make sure you have all your injuries photographed pronto.

It may also be worth making a diary of what has happened and your feelings, physical and emotional, day to day. Also record your reprehensible boss's reactions, and your disgusting work colleagues. I am sure you can claim for emotional trauma. Not to mention the fear you must have felt. She/they is/are one disgraceful piece of work!

I am so upset this has happened to you. But it can be turned to your favour. And just for the record darling, that floor must be very faulty because although you are overweight, (well you wouldn't be having bariatrics if you weren't) you are NOT that big.

This isn't about your weight, this is about a dangerous working environment. And considering what an utter moo your boss has been, may be it will be better all round if you do find another job. Darling Chris, you are worth so much more than this. The more I think about it, the more appalled and hurt I am for you.
Huge hugs and gentle cuddles, Grace xxx
ps. was your scan at SRH? We could've bumped into each other!

Take loads of pictures of your injuries hun and then file a claim. You were hurt at work and they should be insured for that. Dont let it rest. Your emotional distress should be worth something too with the taunting you got afterwards. Write everything down while it is still fresh in your mind. xxxxx

do you know this makes my blood boil small minded people.hope you feel better soon,and just remember after your operation you will have the last laugh.take care hun.x:)

Your redundancy might be statuary one were you get next to nothing anyway.How long have you worked there and what type of business is it?

i have to go in tomorrow for a few hours to meet the people who are taking over our company , but i am the early start and noone else will be there so gonna go in with my camera and get proof of the leaking and damaged floor .

you are all right got to stand up for myself on this one xxxx well as soon as i can put weight on my knee i will haha xxxx

Right Missis! If your job is in jepoardy even more reason to get a claim in, this is worth a heck of a lot of money to you. At the very least this could pay for your plastics if you need them! The firm will have public liability insurance to cover this, they will be expecting a claim and rightly so, trust me.

Make sure you have all your injuries photographed pronto.

It may also be worth making a diary of what has happened and your feelings, physical and emotional, day to day. Also record your reprehensible boss's reactions, and your disgusting work colleagues. I am sure you can claim for emotional trauma. Not to mention the fear you must have felt. She/they is/are one disgraceful piece of work!

I am so upset this has happened to you. But it can be turned to your favour. And just for the record darling, that floor must be very faulty because although you are overweight, (well you wouldn't be having bariatrics if you weren't) you are NOT that big.

This isn't about your weight, this is about a dangerous working environment. And considering what an utter moo your boss has been, may be it will be better all round if you do find another job. Darling Chris, you are worth so much more than this. The more I think about it, the more appalled and hurt I am for you.
Huge hugs and gentle cuddles, Grace xxx
ps. was your scan at SRH? We could've bumped into each other!

sorry honey i was at university hospital of durham, wish it had been sunderland i could have popped to see you.

i know your right they have always treat me like poo , and if it was anyone else they would put a claim in. like you say at least i can use the money for me or boost the redundancy if that happens.

thanks for your support

Chris when I read ur thread my heart aches for you. What horrible b*st*rds to sit & laugh at u. But karma is a b*tch & what goes around comes around.

I agree with the advice regards compensation & whatever you get you'l deserve every penny!!

Hope ur dad is on the mend xx

Echoing a previous comment sue them for injury that will wipe the smirk off their faces.
Regardless of your weight (and its not that bad) the workplace should be a safe environment which it clearly is not, you're lucky the whole floor did not go if its that rotten because you could have broken your back.
Get onto that injury lawyers 4 you or some firm like them.

Chris
if you have to go to discuss anything with boss or anyone from firm take an independant witness or record what is said (mobile phones often do this)
Don't trust them they have clearly shown their true colours, its times like this I wish I'd trained as a lawyer instead of a nurse I'd have gone after them for free.
Give them hell!!!

Sorry for being behind the times! firstly everyone is right. You have a right to claim compensation for your physical injuries. If (god forbid) redundancy is on the cards, they cannot use the fact that you have submitted an employers liability claim as cause to choose to get rid of you over another member of staff. If you suspect this to ne the case at any point you can raise your concerns (redundancy letter will tell you how) and they have to justify the decision they have made. Also you have three years from the date of the accident to bring a claim to court, so you could wait and see how things go on the job front if you really are bothered. I would suggest taking photos and keeping as much evidence as possible. Finally, you need to tell HR about the comments made to u and your boss' appalling attitude!!!!
U really should submit a claim, as a result of their negligence you have been physically and emotionally hurt, inconvenienced by having to go to hospital etc and also had to take time off work. Good luck and keep your head held high! X

ahh christine just read your post hope you are ok love thats awful people are so cruel but you will be laughing soon hold ya head up high they should all be ashamed of themselves and get a claim in love xxx

What a nightmare . . . . while you can't claim for your co-workers comments if you were physically injured (i.e. whiplash or alike) then you can sue for compensation. It should be straightforward but if you want advice give me a ring - in fact it might be prudent to have a rotund (pre op) lawyer acting in your corner ! Take care, Kevin x

Hope you are feeling a little better Christine xxx

thanks, im still in a lot of pain, doctor at hospital said to keep the weight off for 48 hours and see how it went . she is still sure it is broken but nothing showing up,. if its not better tomorrow i am going to got back.

work has been ok but they are trying to say that 1 - i shouldnt have been in there which is pants its a area where my filing is kept and i am a key holder i dont need anyones permission to be in there and 2 i was too heavy for the floor. im sure however the filing cabinets ans shelves which are full of stuff are much heavier than me. no one has made anymore personal comments about me - not that ive heard anyway but have started the process of a claim against them not sure i will get anything but hey why not .

thanks for the support everyone xxx

Back