• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypassers with Arthritis

Big an Bouncy

Anyone tell me what they take for pain of Arthritis instead of anti inflammatories?
I have muscle and joint pain that is driving me insane,every time I do the least thing my body kills.I have been to the gp but only got codein/paracetamols,is there anything else anyone can recommend.Im having investigations for Fybromyalga done but in the meantime I cant sleep and when I do the wake I am stiff all over from my fingers to my knees!Heat helps a little.:cry::cry::cry:I have been told low potassium can give muscle pain and weakness.

I have to be honest and say my pain is at a minimum now. However for the odd day my dpc prescribed me a codeine based alternative called co dydramol.

Mine has left me on Naprosin as long as I don't take it all the time, I take it long enough to get things under control then swap to codeine based tablets!

I have fibro as well as a type of arthritis, so if you do get diagnosed, feel free to shout.

Pain wise, I take tramadol (50mg) 3-4 times daily, with paracetemol (it makes it more effective). I also take amitriptyline at night which is for fibro, it increases REM sleep and stops me waking up due to pain so much.

I have diazepam available for severe muscle spasms, as an alternative to NSAIDs.

I have naproxen available for short term use for severe flare ups, mostly when I get TMJ Dsyfunction which causes horrendous jaw pain and is common with fibro. But i have to use this minimally as its an NSAID. And it gives me mouth ulcers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Another option is stronger codeines such as dihydracodeine, I used to use it but became allergic to codeine post op.

Thanks Shell Im off to the gp this am,i had a bad weekend and cant stand the pain much longer.I had to take Ibuprofen to get some sleep but know this is not the answer.I was prescribed Amyltrip once before but was taking Prozac so was scared taking both.I will ask the gp again.Thanks again.Maz x

Well gp was great sending me to a Rhumatologist for bloodwork and gave me Tramadol,paracetamol and Amyltriptaline(sp?)IHope I can get a good nights sleep tonight!Thanks Shel she did say things point to Fybro but wants confirmation.Maz x

Joy of joys the pain killers work!So glad to be pain free for the first time in ages!Thanks Shel for the advice.Maz x

I take amitryptiline for fibromyalgia , it really helps me sleep and I really notice a difference if I forget.

i have rheumatoid arthiritis and fybromyalgia , i also take tramadol, di hydrocodeine, amitryptiline at night i also have sulphazalazine so along with all my vits etc i have 18 tabs a day :)

I have osteoarthritis and fibro. I need to go back to my GP as I'm really missing the ibuprofen. I take amitriptyline, duloxutine, co-codomol and codeine. In a flare at the moment and I really need more pain relief.

Glad it helped Maz. Don't forget the key with amitriptyline is to take them 12 hours before you want to get up, not when you go to bed, and then you won't feel groggy in the mornings.

I have osteoarthritis in various parts of my body and cervical spondylosis with nerve root compression and I take amitriptyline, co-codomol, Voltaren gel and Tramadol ( not all together mind depending on the degree of pain) and once every few weeks I have Steriods Injections for my hip arthritis..........

God we are a right gang of old crocks eh?Still a good nights undisturbed sleep has really helped me thanks to the meds!

Back