• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

cards that prove you have had gastric sleeve surgury

donna1966

hello i had a gastric sleeve op in November 2016..i recently went for a meal for the first time at the harvester in Plympton Plymouth ..i ordered a child's meal for myself knowing i wouldn't eat even half of it ,but was refused by the manageress because i didn't have a card stating i had this surgery done ..i left very upset and disappointed as to me it spoilt a lovely family day out which to now i have avoided ..can some please tell me where you obtain these cards please as i have no idea what she was talking about...many thanks

I've not heard about them before. It's a good idea :) personally though I order a starter to come with other people's mains now and don't worry if my server is a bit confused by that. I suppose even with a card a lot of restaurants might still refuse as the child's menu is normally age restricted so they can get around the issue that way if they want?

I have heard of them but like @FeeBee I find ordering a starter is much better.

Childrens meals tend not be the sort of thing we should be eating post op anyway.

I love a nice prawn cocktail or chicken tikka starter :D

Prawn cocktail is my go to dish too @Mazza :D

And proteiw tastic (also I never seem to enjoy prawns as much as home! Go figure!)

You can find them on the web, although they appear to be mainly American so restaurants in UK may not recognise them. https://www.barifit.com/bariatric-restaurant-card/

I either go for a starter, choose somewhere self service so they think I am ordering a child's meal for someone else, get someone else to order for me, or ask if possible to have a smaller portion of a main meal (it may cost the same but at least you are not overfaced or tempted to eat more) as I have had surgery. That usually works better when not in a 'chain' environment and customer service takes precedent over the 'rules' that staff must follow in corporate restaurant.

I've not heard about them before. It's a good idea :) personally though I order a starter to come with other people's mains now and don't worry if my server is a bit confused by that. I suppose even with a card a lot of restaurants might still refuse as the child's menu is normally age restricted so they can get around the issue that way if they want?
thank you for the feed back and yes thinking starters is the best thing to have from now on ..:)

I would have asked if she wanted to see my scars and stretch marks as proof!

I haven't had a problem with ordering either kids meals (when they are proper meals not nuggets & chips!), a small portion of a main meal, a starter as a main or what I normally do which is just to order the meal I want, full size or not and then just eat what I want - I usually portion it off either on the plate or onto a side plate.

If I go out I want to eat what I fancy, not limit myself to only what is available as a starter.

I do have a card issued by our local support group OWLSS, but to be honest you could just have printed it off yourself, it isn't official or signed by the surgeon.

Back