• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Confused

No1spritzer

Hi all my doctor has referred me for gastric surgery after staying the same weight for 5 yrs even though I have constantly been on a diet for these 5 long years, but I am a little concerned after reading post on here saying that you have to have a bmi of 40 or above as mine is just under 39.69,

Also should I continue to try loose weight before I go to the next stage of just have fun for a while and may be push my bmi up a little so I am in the 40 range, I am quite upset to think because of a few numbers I could get knocked back.

Thank you to anyone who can help x

Hi and welcome.

Different PCTs have their own guidelines on surgery, and you can be referred if it's over 35 with other risks such as diabetes or raised blood pressure. Perhaps ask your GP what the local guideline is. Are you pleased to be going down this route? It's not essential to have surgery unless you really want it.

As for weight loss prior to surgery....in my opinion the less you weigh at the time of surgery the lower your risks, but I understand where you are coming from. Perhaps others can advise re NHS (I'm going privately) but I think that as part of the process, which can be lengthy, you are supposed to attend a weightloss programme to show commitment to the whole surgery process.

Hope this helps a bit and that others can drop by and add to it:)

I have heard of people having to bump their BMI up a little because as you say for the sake of a couple of numbers you could loose out. Yes you need to be in the best health possible for surgery but I would be tempted to carry on as you are until you know what the criteria is. Good Luck x

my bmi has been floating around the 40 mark ............sometimes lower and sometimes higher i have diabetes,high blood pressure and raised cholesterol

been under the obesity clinic a few times now but this time i'm having the rny

Back