• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

bbw

hi guys,iv been hovering around here for some months now and find this site invaluble.A little about me ,i turn 40 this yr and for most of my adult life have struggled with my weight,been on steroids does not help matters.April 2011 i approached my GP asking for a referral for surgery ,she was very helpful but did say as my bmi was only 43 she didnt hold much hope but would go ahead anyway,i was regected almost staightaway ,leeds pct wants bmi of 50+:sigh: or 45 with co morbidities(i have none)we appeald on special circumstances(i have a hereditary blood disease that requires me to take steroids on a daily basis,this has added almost 5 stone to my weight gain since starting them 12 yrs ago,still got a regection soooo have now taken matters into my own hands and after pleading my case to OH he has reluctantly agreed to having surgery private at the cost of 10k...ive decided on gastric sleeve after much research but still wondering am i doing the right thing,i have 2 children 12 and 4 and i could not bear to leave them motherless if any thing goes wrong,am i being selfish going ahead?:cry:

I'm 26 and have a 6 yr old and 1 yr old it actually frightens me so much dying but I would rather die trying to change my life then eat myself to death hopefully my boys would understand of the worse happened but I'm sure it won't lots of people on her have had great results from surgery and that helps to put my mind at rest xx

Hun i had my op in November just gone and i was 40 in the August.. i have a 12 year old daughter... and believe me i know without this op... i so wouldnt be around to see her get to 20... so your thoughts and doubts are completely natural... but think about all the things you can do with your kids after the op. All the best hun xxx

If it were me asking the same question i think id have been happier and more confident knowing the NHS were on my side and they also believed i needed the op. Spending 10k yourself would make me feel selfish...and if the worse did happen i would have paid for it to happen too!

Im sure youve thought of these things but i would go ahead and do it...the risk of dyiong of fat induced diseases and pobably a slow death too, i wouldnt want my kids to go thru that..

Sorry if ive rambled, ive just put my thoughts down as they came.....i would have the op x

Blimey ive just read that, it sounds awful! Sorry...as i said i rambled....in NO WAY do i think your being selfish!!! I just know most people, especially overweight/hide from the world/ dont bring attention to yourself kinda person....wouldnt spend 10k on themselves normally!! But i think this op is worth 100x that!!!

Do it, its the best for you...the children...the family x

Just do it Lovely. When I had a heart attack in Nov 2010 aged 45 it confirmed for me how important my op was to me. If I didn't have this bypass I'd probably be having a heart bypass at some stage instead. I am more sure that I'll see my grandchildren one day than I was before the op. People take out bigger loans to buy cars than for this op. Just do it.

Kate x

Hi! I started with a bmi of 42 and have boys aged 3 and 6. I tried to go down nhs route but it's a different process here in Scotland, and I am still waiting to be started on weight management via the nhs!!! In the meantime I had done so much research and knew that I needed the op to turn my weight around. So I paid the money! The experience was amazing, as the private hospital was so nice, the staff so caring.

Nice guidelines are quite clear on who is suitable for surgery. Most pct's just don't have the resources to make surgery available to everyone who meets the criteria, hence the reason to qualify for surgery on the nhs at the moment, your bmi has to be higher. It doesn't mean it's not the right thing for you.

I am very happy with my decision, have recovered well, even with type 1 diabetes, and am pleased with the results so far.

Crackers x

I'm 50 ( only Just ) and i was worried that i wouldn't see my children/grandchildren after op, but i was more worried they would see me die from my weight related illnesses and have to put up with me being a burden if i managed to live another ten years which was looking more and more unlikely x go for it you will wake up and live a long healthy life with your caring supportive hubby and beautiful children xx

Back