• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Contraception post bypass

Jen1961

Is on her way!
I'm not a sex maniac or anything and won't be thinking of intimacy too soon post bypass but I am wanting to remain 'safe' and was wondering about those ladies who take the contraceptive pill, do you stop taking it until you get back onto solid food again or do you grind the tablet up so you can continue with birth control all the time?

Sorry if anyone thinks I'm being daft asking this. I am trying to cover all bases in advance hehe!

I can't say anything about the pill because it's something I've never taken, but I think, for at least the first couple of weeks after your bypass the last thing you will be thinking about is sex, any rapid movements or pressure anywhere near your abdomen will be quite uncomfortable to say the least.
What with the pain and swelling (not to mention the horrendous wind you will be suffering from)
But it might be worth considering another form of contraception such as the injection, talk to your gp, as you will have been told, fertility will increase after bypass and with all the changes going on in your body that's the last thing you need to be worrying about
Hope this helps

i had a coil fitted 6 weeks before my bypass coz i didnt want to malabsorb my oral pill.

I have heard other mention malabsorbtion of the pill post op...may be worth speaking to your GP or family planning person about your options post op just in case

I have a coil fitted. Don't want accidents at my time of life!

As for the time scale, people's experiences vary a lot. I wasn't in pain and the rapid release of hormones from fat during the first period of weightloss after surgery did increase my interest in intimacy! ;)

Ughhh....well it was contraception that made me gain weight in the first place!! I was 180lbs and had the contraceptive implant inserted into my arm and went up to 300lbs in two years...it made me soo hungry!!! Anyhoo I hate condoms...and once had an allergic reaction to one...so I'm really in a pickle too!! because of my weight I can only take the progestrone only pill, but you have to take that daily and you if you miss it once you have to take it 7 days before its effective again. Ridiculous. I think the only thing left for me to try is the coil and injection!! So yeah, being female sucks on this occasion!

Back