• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Depression and weight gain

charliegirl

Just been reading an article that links low serotonin and weight gain. It stated that research show serotoni controls appetite, the more you have the less you eat. In case any of you dont know what serotonin is it is a brain chemical that regulates our moods. We can get it from certain foods. The article went on to say people with high levels of serotonin are better at regulating emotions. I am a very emotional person and no my moods are linked to when I eat. They recommend a supplement that can be taken to boost the serotonin levels. Some anti depressants boost serotonin as well. Hope some of you find this interesting....Linda x

Yes. There's been a fair amount of research into the serotonin effect.

I've spoken to a number of people who have found certain antidepressants have stopped their overeating :clap:

Some antidepressants (the SSRIs; selective seratonin reuptake inhibitors- make the seratonin hang around longer in the synaptic gap) have weight loss as a side effect, and some even have indications for eating disorders eg fluoxetine (Prozac) has an indication for bulimia.

good thread hun but i get my high from life and my family, i know alot of people that take anti depressants and it helps them enormously, ur thread is well worth a look take care xxx

Yep agree a good thread and something to think about, though for me when i'm down i fix myself up buying a new toy or car :D

Hi linda, how interesting. I have taken anti depressants since the birth of my little girl (well not the birth but her getting really poorly at 5 weeks and being in hospital for 6 months) she is now disabled and is the absoloute delight of my life along with her sister. I have been wanting to stop the anti depressants for some time but am petrified that things will slip. Might speak to my Gp when i see them tomorrow about trying an alternative which will increase my levels. Thanks hun really interesting post xx

Hi tammy I am just starting with depression I can feel it creeping up on me. Saw my GP today but he wont prescribe tablets yet as I am having sleep studies on thursday/friday and it would affect the results as they make you sleepy. You can buy serotonin tablets from health food shops and I think I may give them a try. I know when I was prescribed a certain tablet for migraine that I had to take nightly my moods were brill I was really happy and buzzing and had that its great to be alive feeling, however, the tablets are well known for weight gain and of course up my weight went. It was such a shame as they stopped my migraines which I was getting 3-4 times a month lasting for three days each time. Enough to make anyone depressed.

I am sorry to hear about your little one having a tough start to life, I was very young when I had my babies and I so wish I could turn back the clock to when they were little to cuddle them more and do things differently but thats never going to happen. Enjoy your babies while you can they soon grow up.....Linda x

Thanks Linda, your right life just flys by and i won't let my depression ruin my time i have with them.

Let me know how you get on with the pills from the health food shop will be interested to see how you get on. keep your chin up hunxx

Back