• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Obesity pill to be made available on NHS

Kevin1708

Century Club
Obesity pill to be made available on NHS
By JULIE WHELDON, Daily Mail 11 / 05 / 2011

Piling the pounds back on after the end of a diet could be a thing of the past

A groundbreaking once-a-day pill is set to revolutionise the fight against obesity.

The drug called Acomplia can cut bodyweight by up to 10 per cent in a year and significantly reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes.

The pill is the first to stop people eating by interfering with a part of the brain involved in cravings.

British patients will be the first in the world to benefit from it following its UK launch yesterday.

Experts say the £2-a-day pill will be a valuable tool to help tackle soaring rates of obesity by reducing people's desire to overeat and targeting dangerous abdominal fat.

But there will be concerns about the 'medicalisation' of obesity and whether patients will consider the drug an easy way to slim.

There are also fears that some people who are underweight or anorexic may try to obtain it illegally on the blackmarket without prescription.

Acomplia, also known as rimonabant, is licensed for people who are medically classed as obese - around 10million people in the UK.
The drug will also be given to people who are overweight, but already have type 2 diabetes or diagnosed cholesterol problems.

In Britain it is estimated more than two million people have type 2 diabetes.

It is available only on prescription from today and costs £55.20 for a month's supply.

In all cases people must have already tried diet and exercise to shed excess weight before getting the drug and continue with such efforts while on the pill.

In trials when overweight people took a daily 20 mg pill, up to 40 per cent of them lost 10 per cent of their body weight, much of it from around their waist.

The drug also boosted levels of protective good cholesterol, while lowering harmful blood fats, and helped diabetics improve control of their blood sugar levels.

The pill works by interfering with a system in the body that controls energy levels, regulates body weight plus breaks down sugars and fats.
When people regularly eat too much the system goes into overdrive and this encourage the body to store more fat, especially around the stomach.

The pill blocks a key part of the system, reducing the cravings for food and helping prevent fat being deposited.

According to the makers French firm Sanofi-Aventis, the benefits do not just come from the weight loss.

This is because the pill targets fat around the waist, which is known to particularly raise the risk of diabetes and heart problems.

Henry Purcell, head of obesity research at the Royal Brompton Hospital in London, warned that obesity levels in Britain are now at epidemic proportions with rates among adults having doubled since the 1980s.
Dr David Haslam, clinical director of the National Obesity Forum, said:

'We have a very limited opportunity to do something about the problem of obesity before it is too late.

'Obesity is not a cosmetic or social issue but a serious medical one.

'A drug that can tackle each individual risk factor not just weight is potentially a very valuable tool.'

Some fear there could be delays getting the drug on the NHS because it has not yet been assessed by rationing watchdogs.

It has not yet been considered by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE).

It can take 18 months for the watchdogs to issue guidance on use of a new medicine.

And some fear cash-strapped primary care trusts may be reluctant to fund the drug until this is completed.

Professor Anthony Barnett, professor of medicine at the University of Birmingham, said: 'Primary Care Trusts often wait for Nice guidance.

'There is a very distinct possibility that there will be some limitations on its use, which I think will be a very great shame.

'The real question is, can we afford not to treat obesity?'

A spokesman for NICE said drugs have to be referred to it by the Department of Health and it had not yet been asked to consider Acomplia.
A Department of Health spokeswoman said lack of NICE guidance should not be used as a reason to withhold drugs.

But she added the Government was considering referring Acomplia to NICE and an announcement is expected shortly.

Some have predicted the pill could generate worldwide sales in excess of £3billion.

It was given official European Union marketing approval last week but did not go on sale straight away.

The UK is the first place in the world where it is being launched with roll outs expected across Europe later this year.

The company also hopes to sell it in the USA once it wins approval from American licensing authorities.

As with any drug there are fears that once available, it could be traded on the blackmarket.

It could then be abused by anorexics or those who are not overweight but simply want to shed a few pounds.

A company spokesman insisted it was not being tested on such groups, it was only licensed for patients who were overweight or obese and it would be unlikely to benefit those without weight problems.

In one early trial the pill was also found the double the success rate of smokers trying to quit.

However a second study failed to show any significant effects and so the company is not now marketing it as an anti-smoking aid.

See (inc. comments) : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-392924/Obesity-pill-available-NHS.html#ixzz1M27j2y7J

Acomplia/Rimonabant

I posted the above hoping it would be of interest. I understood that Acomplia / Rimonatban had been withdrawn due to adverse side affect – am I mistaken.

On a personal note – is it better to have your internal plumbing altered or to use mind altering chemicals to fool your body ????

Last edited:
I said to my partner "as soon as I pay for surgery they will bring out a pill to cure it". Typical lol.
On a more serious note, isn't Acomplia the same drug that they use to help people stop smoking, cutting down the craving trigger thing in the brain? If so, I have heard that it caused lots of psychiatric changes.
Lynne x

My consultant at the weight loss clinic I attended was going to prescribe me this a few years ago but they did ban it because of the side effects. My consultant said basically it made you suicidal!!!!!

A very close friend of mine had a nervous breakdown and it was attributed to taking these pills and I have heard of several people who became psychotic because of it. It was so scary that when my brother wanted to stop smoking and was prescribed these pills by his doc I told him in no uncertain terms that he must not take them. Fortunately he didn't.
What I cant understand from the article Kevin is that it says that the Pill is new when it isn't. Have they changed its properties somehow?
Still not put spellcheck on this new computer so excuse any mistakes.
Lynne x

IMHO, If there was a 'pill' that really, really worked, do you think we would have had or would be considering surgery? I mean, would you voluntarily be stabbed 5 times in your abdomen willingly if there was a magic pill??

Last edited:
ive just read the article, but then went back to the daily mail website to re-read it and couldnt find it by searching through today's news.

Is it an old article you have dug out Kevin?

I too thought this drug had been banned. I thought the only drug presently licensed for obesity is orlistat (xenical), although I am aware of others such as victoza which is a diabetic drug that appears to help with obesity.

You're totally correct Sambucca.

iv had a go on this i think i was told its cannabis based so it effects ur brain telling u ur full lol never told me that mmm maybe i dont have a brain

Think your on about the ones that contain speed... can't recall what they where named .... I was on them for a year they screw with ur head ... Gave heart palpitations ... Paranoia lol and u cud go all day on a slice of nimble toast ... But wen u came off them he food monsters came out !!!!

Also had the poo power ones on trial had to save my poo in boxes ... And orange oil poop was not nice ....

Hence bypass for me all the way xxxx

I think the amphetamine based tabs are Tenuate Dospan, tried them in the 90's whoa they are nasty but work if you can handle the psychosis that comes with them.
Another weight loss drug is Sibutramine which was banned in Jan 2010 it causes Cardio Vascular problems xx

Back