• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

does this mean i dont dump :(:(:(

Dell

I had a muller blueberry fruit corner earlier.....for some stupid reason I didn't check the nutritional info until afterwards. It has a whopping 22+g sugar according to the pack! I'm stunned but I had no ill effects at all.

I used to be a sensitive dumper immediately postop, and I still avoid sweet things out of habit tbh anyway.

Should I really dump on something like that?

Hi, I'm not sure, but I would think so. I am not long post op and am also a sensitive dumper. You have to scrutinize everything don't you. Someone with more experience will be along soon and I'll be eager to see what they say as well.

It can vary so much. Fruit and milk sugars don't make me dump like refined sugars, so it depends on what its make up was.
For me it also depends on what i've had previously. Some days i feel ill after having exactly the same thing i've had the day before without problems. So you may not be so lucky next time lol.
I live in fear of losing my sensitivity to sugar as its what stops me over indulging on chocolate !!

ooops ive just put a similar thread out :eek:

I agree with what everyone else has said, things can vary from day to day! It can also depend on your blood sugar levels just before eating...if they are quite low you are more likely to dump xxx

Thanks ladies :) chocolate and cake were my downfall preop, so I've not even tasted either since nor do I intend to! Will be careful with things In future, but my goodness it was divine!!!

Dell, have you been diabetic by any chance? I have a theory that diabetics are less likely to dump than those who aren't. If you body is making less effective insulin or reduced amounts then it is less likely to put your body into the shock that brings on the dumping. Just a theory though. xx

Dell, have you been diabetic by any chance? I have a theory that diabetics are less likely to dump than those who aren't. If you body is making less effective insulin or reduced amounts then it is less likely to put your body into the shock that brings on the dumping. Just a theory though. xx

I totally agree with you, and I don't think it's a theory either...it's caused by the generally higher blood glucose levels in diabetics (or pre-diabetics), due to reduced insulin secretion and deficiency, that leads to a state of hyperglycaemia.

Last edited:

Hi john, yes I was diagnosed earlier this year but kept diet controlled as my gp realized the surgery would almost certainly resolve it, which it seems to have done. That's really interesting, and definitely something to watch out for! Thanks x

I firmly believe in John's theory too. I am diabetic, and i don't dump :) or should i say :( :(

I was diabetic and dont know if I dump as I havnt tried anything that would make me dump, unless I have and not known :eek: Maybe I dont dump lol....Im confused! I know for sure that Ive had rabid dog syndrome.......not pleasant but not a dump :D XX

Yea I think so too, its happened mainly when Ive had beef which is a bit hard to get down sometimes and I do find it hard not to eat too fast ....terrible habit I need to break! XX

I am diabetic and think I might be an exception to the rule because I do dump. Last night was an example, but I must say it has been nearly a week since the last time. I had a milky coffee maybe a bit too hot but I was nauseous, sweating and had to run tooodleloo had to go straight to bed after that. I can't think of anything else but it is horrible

I had a muller blueberry fruit corner earlier.....for some stupid reason I didn't check the nutritional info until afterwards. It has a whopping 22+g sugar according to the pack! I'm stunned but I had no ill effects at all.

I used to be a sensitive dumper immediately postop, and I still avoid sweet things out of habit tbh anyway.

Should I really dump on something like that?

Only 30% of post oppers develop Dumping syndrome, and most of them will adapt and develop some tolerance to sugars etc in time.

It may be that you have built a tolerance to sugars and that for you the dumping phase has gone. It's a credit to you that you've only just found out as that means like you say that you have avoided testing your pouch to date.

I've never dumped and I have no idea if I would or not. I avoid sugars and wasted fats like the plague where I can and will continue to do so so it's irrelevant to me, and with the way you have done so far I'm sure it will become irrelevant for you too as you continue to do great whether you dump or not

I dumped big time immediately post-op. But then I tried chocolate and found I could get away with a few squares. Oh dear, bad idea!
However I had a very nasty experience this week with a small portion of scampi. I do find dumping is very variable. But now I have just made the decision (like Karlos) to avoid sugars and fats as much as possible. I try to make all my nutrition count.
I'm sure now you know dumping is variable you'll continue to be careful.
Grace xxx

Back