• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dr or Mr surgeons title explained

lamornamiss

wants to be a loser
This is the explanation on why your surgeon is called Mr not Dr

Only consultant surgeons are called Mr, physicians are still called Dr. It goes back to the days when surgery and medicine were very seperate professions. Physicians went to university and were members of a Royal College- they were called Dr. The surgeons were tradesmen and were members of a guild - the Company of Barber-Surgeons. Surgeons were originally not 'proper' medical people, but usually no more than barbers who used their skills with razors and other sharp implements to deal with amputations! When a tradesman became a master of his craft he was called Mr - so too with the surgeons, its just a quirk of history that no one has gotten round to changing (yet!).

So in the bad old days surgeons didn't have any formal qualifications and learnt by watching another surgeon :eek:.
I for one am glad that surgeons now have proper training :D

Reactions: Ric
That was interesting a nice to know thanks!!

Things have certainly changed for the better now!

Oooh did not know that!! I also think how annoying it must be to work soooo hard to get to be a consultant and end up "back" as a Mr!

Sent from my Galaxy SII using WLSurgery

Only consultant surgeons are called Mr, physicians are still called Dr. It goes back to the days when surgery and medicine were very seperate professions. Physicians went to university and were members of a Royal College- they were called Dr. The surgeons were tradesmen and were members of a guild - the Company of Barber-Surgeons. Surgeons were originally not 'proper' medical people, but usually no more than barbers who used their skills with razors and other sharp implements to deal with amputations! When a tradesman became a master of his craft he was called Mr - so too with the surgeons, its just a quirk of history that no one has gotten round to changing (yet!).

So in the bad old days surgeons didn't have any formal qualifications and learnt by watching another surgeon :eek:.

Gosh, me too ... thanks Wendy :) Hope you are feeling better today, my love xxx :)

Thanks for the explanation:).

Was confused, as all the way through my surgeon was going to be Dr Ahmed (at Derby), but in order to get me in quicker was switched to Mr A.K Awan at last minute. Was hoping he had some sort of training!!!

Sometimes it also depends where they trained.... for example Dr Dillemans is a WL Surgeon based in Belgium.... but if you stick with what is said above you won't go far wrong xx

I love it!! I love history and that made me smile. I worked in a hospital for 5 years and never knew why. Thank you :) xxx

Do you think if I went to my local barber instead, their waiting list for wls would be shorter?

Thats quite right, however the version I read was that the Mr was originally the ships barber who doubled as surgeon when an amputation was needed lol

Great never knew this.

Thats quite right, however the version I read was that the Mr was originally the ships barber who doubled as surgeon when an amputation was needed lol

Make sure you sitting in the chair the right way up or a short back and side would mean something totally different :D

Back