• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dumping Syndrome Prior To Bypass?

Snowcrystal

Been to the GP this morning and he told me that although my initial blood test revealed that I was borderline for type 2 diabetes, my glucose tolerance test came back normal...I'm pleased about that....I just got to get my resting BP down as it is still very high.

The dry mouth I have been suffering with is still present and is only helped by chewing anything...It is driving me nuts.

Along the way I realised that I was not so much thirsty as I was dry, so I was always a bit on the sceptical side with regards to diabetes although a lot of my other symptoms appeared like it was too.

I now have to have another blood test to see if I have Sjorgrens because I am having problems producing saliva and have dry eyes.

Now here's the bomb shell...My GP said that I have 'dumping symdrome'!!! And that's before my surgery!!! What on earth will it be like when I have surgery?

Although I don't have diabetes, my body still doesn't metabolise sugars very well...............So can you Post Ops tell me anything about dumping syndrome that might help me further understand it....I must admit the symptoms I have are very much like what some of you have described...I just never thought it possible for me to have it though.

So any help would be really appreciated.

(((hugs)))

phatgirl

I am Type II diabetic and experienced dumping syndrome pre-op. It was before they medicated me but I knew when I read the bypass description that I had experienced it before. I have yet to have full-on dump post-op, just the mild ones where you feel sleepy after you eat or a bit lightheaded. Part of the reason that the bypass helps resolve diabetes is that the part of the intestines where sugar is absorbed and triggers insulin production is bypassed. Your dumping syndrome may be completely resolved by your bypass if you are lucky. If you are concerned about it just keep your sugar bleow the 5g/100g ratio and you will be fine.

HTH,
Nic;)

Snowcrystal

Thank you Nic

My tests proved that I do not have diabetes but am borderline for developing it I guess.

I don't know why I did not make the connection...but these episodes of 'dumping' that I get are really scary and fairly severe...I have to lay down for ages until the feelings pass, sometimes I sleep it off. I come over shaky, light headed, really clammy and feel like someone has pulled the plug on my energy reserves.

BTW...I am loving that BMI of yours....where can I get one of those?...lol

phatgirl

I know what you mean I was really scared about those dumping feelings I used to have, I felt like I might die! I remember one that was particularly bad when I went out to dinner with friends about an hour after I ate I was so sick I had to call my hubby to come get me since I couldn't drive. I am hoping by being careful I will never have to feel that way again.

As for the BMI, I got that as a bonus gift from surgery!! LOL:p:p:p

Nic:D

thinkbethin

Snowcrystal I really hope the GP can sort you out before your op. I'm diebetic and the symptoms you described were very much like mine. If your GP has ruled this out then thats good news. Just hope the next tests come back negative as well. Good luck xx

Snowcrystal

Snowcrystal I really hope the GP can sort you out before your op. I'm diebetic and the symptoms you described were very much like mine. If your GP has ruled this out then thats good news. Just hope the next tests come back negative as well. Good luck xx

Thank you Gaynor

I got so much going on right now medically I can't think straight.

The first blood test showed me as borderline diabetic
but the glucose tolerance test came back ok...

The doctor said that the dumping is because I don't
metabolise sugars very well...Is this because I'm borderline
or because there are other things going on?

I'm having this endoscopy on the 24th of this month for Barrats Oesophagus or whatever they find ...am having bloods now for this Sjorgrens...Just hoping it's all a result of one thing that can be resolved by the bypass...lol....I doubt that eh?

Once all the results of all the tests come back then it can all be collated and get a definitive diagnosis.

Thanks again Gaynor.

(((hugs)))

Meggie

Well I hope all goes well!!! Every appointment is one step closer!!!