• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Emotional eating- to wrap or not?

sarah1712

Hi all, just want your views. I'm a complete emotional eater and at time can be lazy with dieting. I've tried slimming world multiple times but just lose interest and in turn stop losing weight coz I'm not sticking to it.
I really doubt my abilities and worry why having a wrap would make it any better? I don't want to spend all that money to only fail? Is it weird to be nervous that I won't be able to comfort eat?? Any responses welcome
Sarah :)

Yvessa

Given your honesty and how clear you are on your reasoning, I can't see why not assuming you get a good team behind you who will support you if emotional eating is an issue.

A.Positive

I felt just like you did my love and then I decided to use that fear of ruining my only hope to make me fight. I gave up fizzy drinks tea (I can't have it without tones of sugar) and than really started listening to my body and focusing in on how I felt each time I wanted to eat something and I wasn't hungry.

Its a hard slog but you sound like you are well aware and ready to make the change. As Yvessa had said, there is help for you. You only need ask.

Good luck! xx

sarah1712

Well I do see a counsellor but I don't know if that is enough to make me stop shovelling the wrong stuff. You see I'm waiting to have Ivf which is what I need to lose weight for however I'm stuck on this vicious circle of eating when I'm down mainly coz of not having kids but its the eating that's stopping that. Most people don't understand that it's not as easy as just saying no and self control because its years of deep rooted emotion. I just feel like I don't want to jump in a do something drastic like a wrap but am at a point where I don't know what else to do? Did anyone feel like surgery was a cop out when they were thinking about having it? You get the people who say "if you want to lose weight you will do everything possible to make it happen" but for me and maybe some of you it really isn't as simple as that. I appreciate people's responses. Always nice to be able to be open and honest with no judgement on forums.
Sarah :)

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know much about the wrap but from what I understand its a restrictive only procedure. Which means it will physically stop you from over eating. Of course that won't stop you from eating the wrong things - albeit in smaller portions.

You say you see a counsellor maybe you could discuss with them some strategies to over come the desire to over eat. Easier said than done I know - but I found distraction was the key for me!

Good luck xx

sarahloveswelshcobs

you can eat pretty much anything after a wrap - just in smaller quantities - so if you can't resist chocolate etc, or are a snacker, it's not going to do much for you.

I've not had any side effects / dumping etc like I believe happens with bypass and sleeve.

We've had a terrible close family tragedy yesterday. All I want to do is cry and stuff my face with chocolate..... Instead, I'm trying to sit firmly on my hands..... I so dont want to go back down that route now ....

Yvessa

So sorry to hear your news Sarah :( Stay strong honey, and if you do give in, cut yourself a bit of slack and get back on it the next day.

sarah1712

So is the general consensus not to have one? Surely everything is ok in moderation? Even the healthiest of people have a biscuit or a square or two of chocolate????

sarahloveswelshcobs

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Honestly though, I think you need to discuss your options with Prof.Ammori. He'll tell you (as he did me) of failures from people who don't try to make it work. If you can't give up snacking, results will be poor from a wrap.

I was warned that if I dont have the self control to choose the right type of food, a bypass would be much better as you can't tolerate eating the wrong stuff....

With the wrap you CAN eat anything, but in smaller volume. So, for example - if you keep choosing the wrong food types, loss wont be great.

Nothing is wrong with an occasional biscuit or couple of squares of chocolate. The issue is trying to stop yourself eating junk between meals and snacking on biscuits / chocolate. Can you stop at a couple of squares ? If you don't, the weight will go back on.

I can cope with the occassional couple of squares on a good day - maybe once a week at best as a treat. In the state of mind I'm in now - should I start of chocolate, I'd eat what I could and snack again every next available opportunity. I can't afford to get back on a downward spiral and undo the good that has been done.

The crap is out my system and I'm used to not having it. When I do snack, things like blueberries and carrot sticks fill me up quick and are far better.

Yves - thank you for that. I'm trying to stay strong. It's hard .... x

Yvessa

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Honestly though, I think you need to discuss your options with Prof.Ammori. He'll tell you (as he did me) of failures from people who don't try to make it work. If you can't give up snacking, results will be poor from a wrap.

I was warned that if I dont have the self control to choose the right type of food, a bypass would be much better as you can't tolerate eating the wrong stuff....

With the wrap you CAN eat anything, but in smaller volume. So, for example - if you keep choosing the wrong food types, loss wont be great.

Nothing is wrong with an occasional biscuit or couple of squares of chocolate. The issue is trying to stop yourself eating junk between meals and snacking on biscuits / chocolate. Can you stop at a couple of squares ? If you don't, the weight will go back on.

I can cope with the occassional couple of squares on a good day - maybe once a week at best as a treat. In the state of mind I'm in now - should I start of chocolate, I'd eat what I could and snack again every next available opportunity. I can't afford to get back on a downward spiral and undo the good that has been done.

The crap is out my system and I'm used to not having it. When I do snack, things like blueberries and carrot sticks fill me up quick and are far better.

Yves - thank you for that. I'm trying to stay strong. It's hard .... x
It is hard honey. If it wasn't we would never have gotten into this mess in the first place. And noone would fault you for giving in and we're here to support you if you need it.

sarahloveswelshcobs

Yves - thanks

sarah1712 - I really was trying to be constructive btw. WLS isn't the easy fast fix.... You still need to want it and work hard sweetie. You can still tolerate and eat anything you like afterwards (at least I can) without issues like dumping - but it would be a total lie if I didnt tell you that you DO need to monitor what you eat and cut out the junk... x