• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Excess facial/body hair linked to obesity?

everpositive

Hello everyone,

I have to pluck/tweezer my eyebrows, chin, neck and upper lip every day.The hairs that grow are very coarse and dark like a mans whiskers would grow through. I am naturally dark haired although dont have excessively hairy legs, pits, lady garden (sorry to be so frank but making a point here). I have in times gone by used hair removal creams, waxing, bleaching etc but only to find they either looked terrible or grew back too quickly and just couldnt afford to keep on top of them. Plucking is free but time consuming and God knows new ones are sprouting all the time!!! Having read into it for years, and having been tested for PCOS (although dont have any of the other associated symptoms) and for possible faulty thyroid, but I've been told all is fine. I do think there may be a link brought about by androgens/excess testosterone as a result of being so obese. Anyone else have the same issue or been told by medics that excess hair and obesity are linked?

Cheers - off to have my evening pluck - LOL that sounds rude, so sorry!! ;)

I've heard that they can be linked. I've also been tested for PCOS and thyroid and came up clear. I do find I'm ok when slimmer and much hairier when very overweight - but that could partly be my perception of myself when overweight and therefore unhappy. Laser light treatment is very good if you can afford it and have the right combination of hair and skin colour (works best and is safest when there is a strong contrast between hair and skin eg dark hair on pale skin)

It can be linked, and also if you suffer with PCOS. Mine are sadly inherited. My mum has them, my nan has them and my aunt has them...

Pesky little critters!!

Don't know about the link to obesity, but I know as women get older, they produce less oestrogen and more testosterone, hence the hairiness. I too have to tidy my face up, as did my nan, mom and my big sister (who is not obese).

same here no medical reason but definatly hereditary. After someone posted on here about vaniqua cant remember who now i went to see my dr. she was happy to prescribe the cream but said it didnt work for everyone but it has to some degree for me.
I still have my face and everywhere else waxed but the hairs on my face are growing slower and definatly finer.
hth
hc

Back