• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First restaurant outing

Travellingman

After a poor start to eating solids this weekend, i did not chew my food finely, took too bigger bites and probably choose the wrong foods, I had to go out to lunch today with one of my vendors. I was very panicky, called the restaurant before hand to suss out the memo only to find that the waitress taking my call is also a fellow bander who was able to advise me on their menu items. I settled on an entre of zucchini flowers with ricotta cheese, it took me awhile to get through it but at least i had no problems with it. Unlike yesterday where i spent 45 mins trying purge my lunch after it got stuck. So relieved. In a few weeks I start travelling again so i will hopefully be confident to go away from home and the comfort and safety of the foods here.

Well at least you didn't 'get stuck' in the restaurant!
I think the transition between the different stages of foods is the most difficult thing I have ever done. Each time I've tried new foods I've been terrified that it'll get stuck and I'll be in pain but it isn't an exact science is it...well not in my case anyway. One day you're great and the next the band is tight. Wierd to cope with. I wish you well when you start travelling. Stick to things you know you can cope with I think unless you're feeling strong!

Thanks MrsPill, my next trip will have me in two totaly different climates, USA and India. India will probably be easier to deal with as I work extremely long days, 3am - 7pm, with extremely limited options for food. Even my lunch is shipped in from my hotel, which is mainly some form of curry dish but exercise will be limited as I am normally exhausted from working both Sydney and Chennai, India, time zones. The US where food portions are huge will bring its own set of problems trying to workout portion sizes. I am booking my hotel 5 blocks from the conference so I can walk there and back each day, which is virtually unheard of in the US to walk anywhere. But hopefuly time I get on the plane I will have lost significant weight to have a more enjoyable flight.

well done on your lunch out, and a definate well done on planning and calling the restaurant in advance.... good luck with your two trips coming up, i hope it all goes smoothly for you and you dont have any problems with being sick xxxx

His real name is Bond - James Bond...

Good Luck on your travels. I've fed up ordering salamon and mash!!
As travellingman will tell you. It sounds good but think of all the flights/time zones and spending time alone in a hotel room!!! only good thing is collecting airmiles for your own holidays.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I work in IT Security and have teams in Sydney and Chennai. It is certainly no glamour life. Most times it is fly in, fly out, long hours, meals for one. The big change for these trips will be to ensure that I swap the hotel bar for the hotel gym. I have started using a pedometer to ensure that I walk at least 10,000 steps everyday.

Its a lonely life. My ex husband used to do something similar. He travelled far and wide but disliked it after the initial buzz wore off.
He spent many lonely nights in hotel rooms, eating in restaurants alone or struggling to get to and from places wehere everything was expensive. Especially scandinavia.
Good luck with your weight loss.
Lynne x

Thanks lynne. It is not a fun life, places such as Singapore & india, it is hot and humid, plus I am facing the monsoon season so it can rain non stop for a few weeks, and it is torrential rain which means you never leave either the hotel or office. You are no sooner away then you want to come home.

The only travelling I enjoy is with my wife, it can be a day trip, weekend away or a few weeks overseas, I never tire when I am with her.

The only travelling I enjoy is with my wife, it can be a day trip, weekend away or a few weeks overseas, I never tire when I am with her.

Now you have spoiled it, James Bond is not supposed to be Married...

PS do you have a twin brother?

Sorry Penguina i don't. There is also another side to thisequationand that is a wife left at home trying to raise a family, fix problems, discipline and raise children, explain to them why their father has missed another school or sporting event.someone who is just as lonely, waiting for that nightly phone call.

I used to love travelling when i was single, no responsibilities, no worries but once you marry and take on a family, no amount of money, or new destinations can replace those moments that i missed. That's why i. Am trying to make up for it now.

Ok, confession time over.....

Yeah like you say fine while you are single, but hard on family life, and hard on you and your wife in different ways. Sometimes those at home have a harder time I guess, as you keep busy, but you must have your lonely times at the end of the day.

A few weeks ago I would have said we had it all - kinda opposite of your life. Worked together all the time, at something we both loved. Didn't make much money but didn't want for much - no mortgage so that takes pressures off. We were 13 years into a 5 year plan of renovating the house, but that didn't matter really. But that wasn't so perfect for hubby.

Who is to say what is the perfect life - maybe there isn't one, and it is all what we make of it I guess. I was only joking about the twin, I can't imagine ever sharing anything with anyone else. I married once and for life.

Give your wife a BIG HUG and embarrass your kids by giving them one too !

Back