• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fish, chips & mushy peas!

Twiggie

Yes, you read it right, that's what I'm having for my dinner tonight :eat:

Despite what you might think, although I'm sure some of you will already have discovered this, it's not actually unhealthy and is well within the limits of fat/sugar that we are allowed to have following a bypass :D

Obviously I don't mean buying it from the take-away, that would be far too high in fat, but the oven baked varieties from the supermarket are fine.

Young's Chip Shop Haddock Fillets in Batter, Batchelor's Mushy Peas & McCain's Lightly Spiced Wedges (I make my own but for calculation purposes we'll use these) I estimate portions to be approx 50g of each which would be half a fish, 2-3 wedges and a large tbsp peas, and that's a fairly large portion. I doubt us newbie bypassers would even manage as much as that.

The entire meal would contain 250Kcals, 10g protein, 3g sugar & 2.6g sat fat.

Who said we had to deprive ourselves of yummy food! :greenapple:

I do have mushy peas and smoked haddock fishcake once a week...probably shouldn't cos of the salt? Anyway..I love my mushy peas treat...om nom nom

I do have mushy peas and smoked haddock fishcake once a week...probably shouldn't cos of the salt? Anyway..I love my mushy peas treat...om nom nom

There shouldn't be much salt. I don't know about your fishcakes (are smoked higher in salt?) but there's only 0.3g/100g salt in mushy peas :)

I had the youngs chip shop style fish for my tea last night with mushy peas (no spuds though). It was one of the best meals I've eaten.

I agree with you & I firmly believe that regardless of what surgery you've had, you can have anything in moderation & with different technics in cooking some of the slightly less healthy stuff you can always indulge in something you fancy.

Today I've had a delicious curry, but all made from scratch - no more takeaways!

Sounds lovely.
I'm having trouble fancying anything much at the moment or I think I fancy something then when I get it I can't eat it! x

I had the youngs chip shop style fish for my tea last night with mushy peas (no spuds though). It was one of the best meals I've eaten.

I agree with you & I firmly believe that regardless of what surgery you've had, you can have anything in moderation & with different technics in cooking some of the slightly less healthy stuff you can always indulge in something you fancy.

Today I've had a delicious curry, but all made from scratch - no more takeaways!

It's wonderful isn't it! I got quite excited when I found out I could have it... little thing please little minds :8855:

I agree with anything in moderation too, unless of course you know it's a bad trigger food in which case steer clear. It's very early days for me so I still have a lot of willpower. Ask me again in 6mths time though, might be a different story ;)

OOh good! I was a bit worried about the salty-ness so that's a relief..mmm beer battered fish from youngs is nice too...How nice that a really scrummy dinner is not playing havoc with us for a change. I think also, having the smaller portions makes us up the quality and really savour our food...take aways just aren't as nice as good quality oven baked and home made meals. Once in a blue moon we have home made pizza & Deans fab home done chicken tikka masala. Just so nice and we freeze the leftovers. Definately better than grease oozing takeaway.

Sounds lovely.
I'm having trouble fancying anything much at the moment or I think I fancy something then when I get it I can't eat it! x

Oh no, are you still having problems with sickness? I wish I could think of something that might help. Have you got a good variety of food at home to choose from? I think this is where I ran into trouble last week as I was eating left-overs (we seem to have loads of those now we're post-op!! lol) and just couldn't face another day of eating the same thing.

I had my shopping delivered yesterday so have a load of new things to try now and found my appetite has returned again. I'm hoping to be able to eat something different every day of the week in an attempt to stop me going off food. I'll let you know if it works! :D

unless of course you know it's a bad trigger food in which case steer clear. It's very early days for me so I still have a lot of willpower. Ask me again in 6mths time though, might be a different story ;)

I know what you mean, pasta, rice, spuds & bread were my biggest downfall pre op and these are foods that I just steer clear of all together now and TBH I haven't missed them. I have the odd slice of Hovis seeded bread toasted (only because my dietician said I've got to!) but could really do without it.

You'll be fine Twiggie, in 6 months time you'll wonder why you ever ate the things you did pre-op at all x

OOh good! I was a bit worried about the salty-ness so that's a relief..mmm beer battered fish from youngs is nice too...How nice that a really scrummy dinner is not playing havoc with us for a change. I think also, having the smaller portions makes us up the quality and really savour our food...take aways just aren't as nice as good quality oven baked and home made meals. Once in a blue moon we have home made pizza & Deans fab home done chicken tikka masala. Just so nice and we freeze the leftovers. Definately better than grease oozing takeaway.

Oh now you're just making me :drool: LOL

I've been wondering about pizza but not yet thought about trying it. You'll have to let us know how you make yours. I'm making a lamb tagine with couscous later this week, can't wait! :D

Oh Twiggie I've make a few pizza's using a wholemeal tortilla as a base. I got the idea off the world according to egg face site. They are great & you can chuck anything on them and you are in total control. They really hit the spot!

I know what you mean, pasta, rice, spuds & bread were my biggest downfall pre op and these are foods that I just steer clear of all together now and TBH I haven't missed them. I have the odd slice of Hovis seeded bread toasted (only because my dietician said I've got to!) but could really do without it.

You'll be fine Twiggie, in 6 months time you'll wonder why you ever ate the things you did pre-op at all x

That's one thing I did miss was toast, as I always used to have it for breakfast. I've bought the Weight Watchers malted loaf this week and it's only small thin slices so perfect. I've really enjoyed having a slice of toast again.

The problem I had before was not so much the choice of food, but the amount I ate. Take today for example, for lunch I had one small slice of toast with half a tin of mackerel in tomato and a sprinkling of grated cheese, grilled. Before surgery I'd have had 2-3 LARGE thick slices and probably used two tins of mackerel, plus cheese!! :eek:

I was exactly the same. When I compare my beans on toast of two days ago, one slice of bread, no butter, one small tin of beans with what I'd eat before - I'd have had 4 slices of warburtons toastie, thickly buttered with a full large tin of beans and would have quiet possibly have made more toast later on!

Oh Twiggie I've make a few pizza's using a wholemeal tortilla as a base. I got the idea off the world according to egg face site. They are great & you can chuck anything on them and you are in total control. They really hit the spot!

That's a brilliant idea, thanks! I've got some tortillas too as I was thinking of trying chicken fajitas at some point. Mmmmm cheesy pizza! :drool:

That's just given me another idea then... quesadillas! Dead easy to make and you can put what you want in them. I'll put a link in to Jamie Oliver's recipe as that's who I first heard about them from.

Quesadillas with guacamole recipes | Starter recipes & snack ideas | Jamie Oliver recipe

I was exactly the same. When I compare my beans on toast of two days ago, one slice of bread, no butter, one small tin of beans with what I'd eat before - I'd have had 4 slices of warburtons toastie, thickly buttered with a full large tin of beans and would have quiet possibly have made more toast later on!

Snap!! :8855:

Thank you for posting this Twiggie... I'm excited about eating all the things that I can't now b'coz of my diabetes (low carbing) that I will be able to have after surgery (in moderation). xx

Oh Twiggie that sounds delish :)

I love fat free home made chips and with mushy peas? I'm in heaven lol..

I'm amazed at how little we can eat and love the fact that half a slice of toast can fill me whereas like others i could easily manage 3 or 4 with beans and then look for chocolate after..... Blooming marvellous!

Now Neen can we have the recipe for the low fat tikka masala cos i fancy curry one evening :) xx

It was fish, chips and mushy peas that got me into this mess! Oh, and curries, kebabs, treacle sponge & custard, Tripe & Onions, mince & dumpalumps, Yorkshire puddings & treacle, Cider, etc.etc., the list is endless!!! Lol, Enjoy xxx

marks and spencers do a lightly dusted range of fish, totally yummy!

.x.

Yep Twiggie still having some troubles with food but slowly getting there.
I guess I'm just a bit afraid of trying things when they have made me sick before but today had a wensleydale and carrot chutney sarnie from M&S and it was lush. Only managed a quarter of it followed by some fruit salad but definitely yummy....

I need to try tortillas too as I love chicken fajitas...well I used to...we'll see!

You're doing brill Twiggie, keep the food ideas rolling in x

Back